Hercules!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So we just adopted this handsome boy. ❤
He is an F4 savannah. He loves playtime, exploring, and headbutts.

9B982003-F477-4DCA-A4F4-6872B2E216E7.jpeg

BD4BF6E1-CB4B-496A-93B2-FF13C0067850.jpeg

It’s been about 9 months since old man Loki got his angel wings (at 19 yrs old). And Miss Kitsune has had the run of the house, ignoring the old blind dog.
We brought Hercules home and Princess Kitsune was less than pleased.
We are on day 5 of the introduction phase. They have each been alternating between their respective rooms and the rest of the house. Kitsune has finally stopped freaking out over his scent, so we are on to the next phase: alternating their respective rooms.
Hercules has had experience with other cats and dogs, so we are hopeful that he will integrate well with the family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh there were some severe reactions… from Miss Kitsune.
There has been hissing and swatting under the doors, as well as at us, from her.
The good thing is that Hercules has taken it in stride. I was sitting with him nearby during one of these little outbursts, and he simply stepped away. There was no redirected aggression from him at all.

Kitsune has stopped with the hissing and swatting, so… baby steps

I am currently sitting with Hercules in our bedroom, aka Kitsune’s domain, while she remains downstairs with her favorite human (she is definitely daddy’s princess).

Last edited:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh there were some severe reactions… from Miss Kitsune.
There has been hissing and swatting under the doors, as well as at us from her.
I don't consider some hissing and swatting "severe" but I am not there, you know your cats better than me, obviously.

I was discussing this in another thread somewhere, that some friends of mine have two cats who have lived together for 3-4 years. They hiss and swat at each other all the time when initiating play. But then they will sleep cuddled and groom each other.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping that Kitsune will warm up to him. Hercules is only about a year younger (I know that‘s a lot more in cat years).
Hopefully it’s enough of a gap that she will feel like she is “in charge” but will still interact. I know she gets lonely and bored when both of the humans are away for several hours at a time.

Hercules has really been pretty good for this whole process. He’s super friendly and sweet. Even showing his belly during pets.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So, for the last few nights (mornings- 4 am) Hercules has woken me up with calling and running around in his bathroom
I figured, no big deal. He’s got to learn we won’t respond at that hour.
However, last night he went a step further and ripped up a portion of the linoleum. 🤦‍♀️

I am currently sitting in the hallway with Miss Kitsune, and Hercules in the bedroom.
There’s been some hissing and swatting under the door, but she has not redirected her annoyance on me.
Baby steps.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
We have moved into the “glimpse” phase.
I leave the door open for a couple extra seconds to let them have a look at each other before passing through and closing it.
Kitsune is still hissy, but seems to get over it more quickly.
Hercules just sits and looks at her curiously. When the door shuts, he tries to talk with her.

I was playing with them both at the door with a fishing toy last night. I’d be on one side of the door, playing with one cat and sliding the toy under the door to the other side to engage the other. Then I’d switch sides.

It seems like Hercules really wants to be friends, but Kitsune still has reservations.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been 11 days and we are moving into the Rule of Five

Five minute increments in the same space wherein Kitsune has established that the intruder shall remain at least five feet distant.
Nevermind that Kitsune reserves the right to close the distance in order to deliver a hissy ultimatum.

Hercules is very confused by this. He has always been part of a clowder with his brothers. It’s like he’s a frat boy learning that women have rules. lol

We’ve actually made it up to 25 minutes. (But Kitsune is now sulking).

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Little update

We have entered the “High Ground” tolerance stage.
As long as Kitsune has the high ground, she will tolerate Hercules presence in the same room.
If Hercules even looks like he might stretch up to her, she will set him straight. lol
She did feel confident enough to do a little grooming while perched on the high ground, so -
There is hope.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So it’s been about a week of “open house”, and Kitsune is still pretty ticked off at the whole situation. She growls at Hercules constantly, and the other day I witnessed why.

She caught sight of him around the kitchen island, growled, turned around and walked away. I thought that was reasonable, until I saw him sneak up and aggressively ambush her from behind. She yowled and screamed at him, of course, and I gave him time out in the bedroom for it.

Today we are stepping back to “separate rooms”, if only to give Kitsune a day of relative peace.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitsune will be saying “I told you, didn’t I? I told you!” 😾
lol
yes
But on the flip side, she also needs to re-learn how to share the space (i.e., the entire house 😜)

Also, I think Hercules gets more aggressive when he’s bored. I try to play with him several times a day, but sometimes I won’t have that kind of time to spend.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, things are tense.
Hercules keeps ambushing Kitsune, and she is not having it. He will chase her up the cat tree, where she will turn around and give him a smack down until he backs off.
Then he acts all butt-hurt and sulky.

Kitsune has redirected her frustration at me on more than a few occasions. She will not sit on dad’s lap in the office unless she knows Hercules is behind closed doors. She will sleep with dad on the bed until Hercules comes in, then fuggeddaboudit. In short, I’m really afraid she is miserable, and unlikely to accept Hercules in the family. 😔

Hercules really is a sweet cat with the humans, and he really just wants to play, but he is not getting the message that Kitsune is not into it. 🫤