hepatic lipidosis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. The results showed nothing other than fatty liver. Crossing my fingers but no puking today. Fed her 45 ml at noon, 10 ml at 4:30, then going to try 45 again at 10 pm. I'm thinking eating too many treats messed with her tummy? I wanted to take it slow today to prevent puking. she is in good spirits today too. Maybe she just had a bad day?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. The results showed nothing other than fatty liver. Crossing my fingers but no puking today. Fed her 45 ml at noon, 10 ml at 4:30, then going to try 45 again at 10 pm. I'm thinking eating too many treats messed with her tummy? I wanted to take it slow today to prevent puking. she is in good spirits today too. Maybe she just had a bad day?
It is so frustrating not knowing what is going on. I'm in a similar situation with my Boo and every test is coming back negative.

I hope she continues to keep the food down!
  I agree; I'd watch it with too many treats and stuff. Just before Sebastian's first pancreatitis attack in July, I had given him Greenies treats. In turns out there are many other complaints about Greenies, so one has to wonder.  
  I rarely give my cats treats anymore. If I do, I use something like PureBites, which is 100% natural freeze-dried meat made in the USA.

Also, are you keeping a log of when and how much you feed her? You may notice a pattern that she does better with certain amounts at certain times. 

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip on the treats. I was going to keep a log but she has only really NIBBLED and the day after she ate a good amount of treats, she started puking so I took the food away. I'm going to lay out some dry food again tomorrow since today seemed to go Ok.

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No Puke on floor but was dry heaving when I got home :(

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^^ After getting home from work

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Have you had a chat with the vet yet about what's going on with Ginnie? I'm not really sure what else to tell you. I don't why she keeps vomiting. 

Sending many vibes that she turns the corner soon! 

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Appointment is made for Tues. That is when the internal med ical vet is there.

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Worked along shift today. Fed 55 ml before I left. came home 10 hours later and no Puke..Have her reglan and am starting to feed now. I'm hoping it was just those Damn treats that upset her stomach. Thanks for everyone's responses and support. It really helps.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad.  I would probably just give her the food through her tube for a few days.  I know you want her well but unfortunately this stuff entails a long recovery.  She is getting everything she needs through her feeding tube.  The fact that she is showing interest in eating is very good.  She just may not be quite ready for it yet.

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the positive words.

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

After doing a ton of research, I called the vet and asked that we treat for IBD. To properly diagnose, she suggested an exploratory surgery. For now, we are going to try to treat it and if that does not work, we will move on to do the exploratory surgery if we need to. She is now taking potassium, vit e, l-carnitine, taurine, denamarin, prednisone, metronidazole(waiting for that to be delivered//have not started yet), clamavox, mirtazapine, cerenia, and reglan. If she responds, we are going to switch to hypoallergenic food after the hepatic lipidosis resolved. Any thoughts or suggestions? She has been eating a little on her own again. The cerenia has helped control the vomiting for the most part. She has been getting a little better each day. I really hope that these meds for IBD help her even more. She started having some loose stools after starting denamarin. Is that to be expected?

Thanks for reading!

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also: We did some blood work last week. The liver values are slowly getting better but bilirubin levels are lingering since she left hospital. We have decreased the ml amount for the tube feedings to encourage her to eat more. So far, she has been a bit more interested. I have her eating duck and turkey wellness core dry to graze on. ( I plan on eventually switching her to all wet but she is a dry addict) She is getting 20 ml a/d through the tube 3 times a day.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think the loose stools have anything to do with the denamarin.  This is a pretty classic part of IBD.  My kitty always had constipation but diarrhea is more common and some kitties go back and forth between both,  Metro is very good for diarrhea.  

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. The metro should be delivered by Monday, I hope.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if you have any experience with metro.  It's very bitter and cats will foam at the mouth with it.  My vet gives it to me with the pills cut and put in an empty gel cap.  Some people here put it in empty gel caps themselves.   You can get them from Amazon if your vet doesn't have them http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2...ps&ie=UTF8&qid=1389961453&tag=&tag=thecatsite

I think most people get a size 3 or 4.  The lower sizes are smaller, I don't know what size my vet uses.

Never mind, I forgot that your kitty has a feeding tube.  For now you can just crush them, mix them with the food and put it through the feeding tube.  It's good to know about the metro though if your kitty does have IBD.  There may very well be the need to give metro in the future when there is no feeding tube to use.

Last edited:

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are actually giving me a flavored liquid. It will be going through her tube for now. Thank you though!

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Solid stool today. Biggest solid poop since diagnosis. started the new meds 1/15. I hope this means they are starting to work.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your hesitation to diagnose through exploratory surgery. I opted not to do that with my Sebastian. It seemed too invasive with him already being in such a fragile state.

I guess the only thing I am wondering is why the multiple antibiotics (Metronidazole and Clavamox) and the multiple anti-emetics (Cerenia and Reglan).

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

UPDATE:

After doing a ton of research, I called the vet and asked that we treat for IBD. To properly diagnose, she suggested an exploratory surgery. For now, we are going to try to treat it and if that does not work, we will move on to do the exploratory surgery if we need to. She is now taking potassium, vit e, l-carnitine, taurine, denamarin, prednisone, metronidazole(waiting for that to be delivered//have not started yet), clamavox, mirtazapine, cerenia, and reglan. If she responds, we are going to switch to hypoallergenic food after the hepatic lipidosis resolved. Any thoughts or suggestions? She has been eating a little on her own again. The cerenia has helped control the vomiting for the most part. She has been getting a little better each day. I really hope that these meds for IBD help her even more. She started having some loose stools after starting denamarin. Is that to be expected?

Thanks for reading!
Can I ask why your cat is on 2 antibiotics?  Also 2 anti-nausea drugs that essentially do the same thing?  I am glad to hear your cat is showing some improvements.

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Reglan wasn't working by itself. I was told that they do not do the same thing. The puking did not stop until we started using cerenia as well. There was a long explanation for the antibiotics that I'll post later. thanks for the replies and kind words.