Hepatic Lipidosis won't eat AGAIN

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I have discovered the trick to getting Dylan to consistantly eat...

Every nite at bedtime, I bring a bowl of crunchy food into the bedroom and put it on the floor near the bed....

And sure enough, the last 3 nights in a row he has gotten up and eaten a minimum of 2 times during the night.

What a great little sound to wake to: crunch, crunch crunch.

Then he hops back up on the bed,curls up and goes to sleep!

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbbeatnik

I think I have discovered the trick to getting Dylan to consistantly eat...

Every nite at bedtime, I bring a bowl of crunchy food into the bedroom and put it on the floor near the bed....

And sure enough, the last 3 nights in a row he has gotten up and eaten a minimum of 2 times during the night.

What a great little sound to wake to: crunch, crunch crunch.

Then he hops back up on the bed,curls up and goes to sleep!
Yay!!

Spotz

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night was a record eating fest through out the night...

I think he knows his limits, and eats enough that he won't get sick....digests, then goes in for more...because he continued eating in tiny intervals throughout the night last night.

And it is very strange being at work and away from Dylan--he is much more snuggly at bedtime now, and sleeps curled up in my arms rather than at the foot of the bed! I think he misses me too.

b/f doesn't like the idea of there being a food dish in the bedroom...but I only bring it in right before bed....and put it back in the other room in the morning...and because it is working--he will have to get over not liking it! Because for once--I am actually not just ok with Dylan's eating habits, but happy!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Last night was a record eating fest through out the night...
<snip>
Because for once--I am actually not just ok with Dylan's eating habits, but happy!

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night when I got home from work, Dylan was actually curled up ON the couch rather than hiding behind it...

which was a happy surprise....but when I went over to snuggle with him, I realized that he was drooling a little bit...and when he jumped down and ran around the apartment a bit and let me pet him, he continued to purr, meow and drool for about 5 minutes. Do you all suppose there is something really terrible going on or that he was just overwhelmingly happy to see me? (he does sometimes drool a little bit when he is kneeding the bed and getting scratched...but not usually just when he sees me!)

I am a little freaked...but not too much because the rest of the night he was pretty normal, and ate like usual throughout the night.

All of my books came yesterday...one of them is an easy and nice read...can't think of the title, but it is about the spiritual bond between animals and people...it is comforting to read.

The one I am anxious to read is called: "When Pets come between Partners" I am not sure if it truly applies to the situation with my b/f...but may have some interesting suggestions that do apply--even if just a few.

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you think a half a cup to about 5/8 cup of dry prescirption diet is enough for Dylan a day? the vet said that is what I should be aiming for at this point since it is so rich...and he does eat about that much, give or take a bit a day.

Some days with the supplemental canned food and others where he just really pigs out on the dry stuff.

Thoughts?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you think a half a cup to about 5/8 cup of dry prescirption diet is enough for Dylan a day? the vet said that is what I should be aiming for at this point since it is so rich...and he does eat about that much, give or take a bit a day.

Some days with the supplemental canned food and others where he just really pigs out on the dry stuff.

Thoughts?
I would shoot for whatever goal your vet has set for Dylan..sounds like things are improving...I'm so glad to see this!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also glad to hear Dylan is doing so well! What an amazing kitty he is

Wat to go Dylan!
You keep getting better sweetheart

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Last night when I got home from work...
but when I went over to snuggle with him, I realized that he was drooling a little bit...and when he jumped down and ran around the apartment a bit and let me pet him, he continued to purr, meow and drool for about 5 minutes. Do you all suppose there is something really terrible going on or that he was just overwhelmingly happy to see me? (he does sometimes drool a little bit when he is kneeding the bed and getting scratched...but not usually just when he sees me!)
Not to quote myself...but would you be concerned about this drooling thing? He did it once last week too when I woke him up in the laundry basket to pet him.

What do you think about this?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't know. I'm used to cats that drool when they purr or are happy, and the times I might be concerned about drooling wouldn't apply here. Best to notice it...see if he is purring at the same time he drools, and mention this to your vet if you feel it is unrelated to him feeling affectionate and happy.

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I just don't know. I'm used to cats that drool when they purr or are happy, and the times I might be concerned about drooling wouldn't apply here. Best to notice it...see if he is purring at the same time he drools, and mention this to your vet if you feel it is unrelated to him feeling affectionate and happy.
He was purring so loudly you could hear it a foot away! Happy, Happy! So if your cats do that too, I suppose that is normal....he was just a bit happier than usual to see me since he had gotten accustomed to having me home with him for so long...then I went back to work all week during the day!

Poor baby!

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

He was happy to see you...I wouldn't worry about it.

Spotz

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No drooling tonight when I got home, just happy, loud purrs.

Tonight, again, while b/f works late Dylan and I get another nice nite together...he is enjoying the warm air, I have opened the windows a crack and he is sitting looking out...as he always seems to really enjoy lately.

He had a light "snack" of crunchy food during the day...and I am sure will have his regular "meal" a he has set it in the middle of the night. As long as he continues eating in the correct quantities it doesn't matter so much to meif he is nocturnally hungry. (I think it has to do with security issues, and with me being next to him when he eats--I think it calms him down.)

At any rate, he seems in good health and spirits tonight. YEAH!

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night I fell asleep on the couch (away from the bedroom food bowl...although there is a living room bowl.)

I don't know what it is about him eating in the bedroom...and his voracious (sp?) appetite when he sleeps in there with us...but last night he didn't touch the food bowl in the living room, but rather, stayed snuggled up next to me on the couch all night.

Because I was concerned that he hadn't consumed the proper amount of food...I stopped off at Petco and picked up a little 3 oz packet of the brand of cat food he seems to like so much, Nutro Natural Choice complete Care.

But, because I was worried he needed a little extra oomph, I bought the kitten formula(as suggested by my vet) rather than adult kitty formula. He scarfed it down...making up quickly for his earlier lack of food consumption.

Thank gosh for these sorts of backup plans!

Now it thunders loudly outside, and is pouring rain...and he is snuggled up in the other room on the freshly made up bed. (with his full little belly)