Hepatic Lipidosis won't eat AGAIN

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's so cute your stories about your b/f and Dylan! Maybe you should write a book.

I had the same thing happen with me a month ago when our kitten Kegan first became ill, and then my other cat too, etc. etc. I talked about nothing else, ever, and although my husband loves our cats, after awhile he just couldn't deal with it, which is one of the reasons i founds this website. I know it's important to try to keep it all in perspective, could be worse, could be a family member that's really sick, but it's really hard to do that when you feel like your cat/kittens are your babies, and that you are it's mother.

Anyway, i'm going to give you some girly advice about guys. I think when you start living together it's important to not let them think they can tell you what you can and can't do, i.e. what you want to buy for Dylan, for example. You work, etc, and once you start letting them think that you have to ask permission everytime you want to buy something, gosh, that's going to be the way it is for your entire life with that man. I just know after all these years with my husband, unless it's a MAJOR purchase, i don't talk to him about it, I just do it and i have girlfriends that wish that's how they would have established things from the get go.

Anyway, 17 years of marriage, and it's working well, so that's my advice.

I think Dylan is SO cute, i wonder were he gets his long fur? Where did you get him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good advice Hopper!

Click on the link below to see Dylan's website, it tells all about where I got him and his story.

Dylan's page

He really is a beautiful kitty, and for years I have been trying to figure out exactly what breed he is. The closest I have ever seen is the Tiffany...they are blackish/chocolate and look very much like him...only reason I would think that he isn't one is that they are generally smaller (9-10 pounds)

At his healthiest and heaviest, Dylan weighed a bit over 19 pounds. Now he is about 13.5 or so...that is what he weighs in the pictures--and as you can see, even at that weight he is still a pretty big boy!
Only difference now is that he doesn't have the big jiggly belly!

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trying to stay out of worry wart mode...but today Dylan spent mostly behind the couch, sleeping...and is now hiding in the laundry basket in my b/f's closet.

He has eaten today, some crunchy and half a can of soft food, and tonight a few licks of baby food.

Not as much as I would like, but since he is still eating atleast one good meal of crunchy prescription stuff, and I can feel the weight gain mostly along his spine...I know he is doing ok. Two weeks ago, he had a really pronounced back bone, and now although he has shrunk down to a more medium sized boy, his spine is under some fat that is finally coming back.

Plugged Feliway back in yesterday or day before?? and the only difference I have noticed is that he sleeps some in "his" chair again...whereas when it isn't plugged in, he avoids the chair as it was the site of many medicine givings.

Check out new pics of Dylan below...I took the new ones yesterday and today.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that he is eating.

So long as he is eating, I wouldn't worry so much about overall weight loss. It is expected, what I would do, is if you can, start weighing him once a week, or even once a day. Make a log. Maybe even make a diary of what he did that day, perhaps writing everything down will give you a little extra peace of mind.

Plus you will have physical proof that he is improving.

If you're not a diary person, it's merely a thought, but I've known quite a few people that it does help.

Another fun thing to do, irregardless, is to take a picture once a week, or once a month. It's makes for an interesting album over time.

You're hanging in there well, and it sounds like Dylan is really the fighter that we'd all hoped for. Please keep us all posted on his progress.

Spotz

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so happy Dylan is showing such progress by eating good meal every day and even showing obvious weight gain!
Sounds like the Feliway diffuser is helping. You must be glad that you ordered it.
Love the new pictures!
More! More!

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One day at a time....

And this is Dylan's "are you still on that computer Mommy?" face that I often see before he retires for a nap....

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dylan is so beautiful!

I get that from Sierra too, except she hops up to help me type, walking across the keyboard and nibbling at my arm. Then she begins to strategically knock everything off the table!
"play with me, Mommy!"

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a little worried, because Dylan threw up again this morning...and I stopped giving him the stool softener a few days ago...so I can't blame the meds for him getting sick.

This is the 3rd time he has thrown up in past week. The other two I was sure was because of the stool softener, because he got sick almost immediatley after I gave it to him...

But this morning, he was walking around...looking like he was wanting some breakfast or something. He walked over to the corner where I usually put the plate with his soft food, and he meowed.

And when I asked him if he wanted a little snicky snack, he meowed a very loud and alarming meow (the kind they let out before they throw up)
A few seconds later, he threw up 3 times...small amounts and it was yellow and no more than spoon full.

When I told the vet about this on friday, it was also same color last two times and she said it could be bile he was throwing up.
Grrr. I am just very concerned. Will call Vet in morning when she is in tomorrow and tell her about it...maybe she will want him to come in again?

Poor little boy. He has left his perch on the window and is now napping in the dark, safe and quiet laundry basket in my boyfriend's closet.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep trying to get him to eat.

Make sure he is drinking plenty of fluids.

His body is fighting him, help him fight back

Spotz

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He walked over to the water bowl a couple of times, sniffed it then walked away...should I give him water via eyedropper to help rehydrate him?

Also, will keep trying to get him to eat canned food, for added hydration...eventually he will eat some.

So far today, only crunchy though.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbbeatnik

He walked over to the water bowl a couple of times, sniffed it then walked away...should I give him water via eyedropper to help rehydrate him?

Also, will keep trying to get him to eat canned food, for added hydration...eventually he will eat some.

So far today, only crunchy though.
I'm sorry that I don't recall, but is he a fan of chicken broth? If he's still feeling nauseated it's one reason he's not wanting to eat much or drink.
Consider making him some fresh plain chicken broth, and also you can make any canned food offerings extra soupy, sometimes this trick works for Patrick...adding a bit of water to make more of a gravy or to mix with the ground food.

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I'm sorry that I don't recall, but is he a fan of chicken broth? If he's still feeling nauseated it's one reason he's not wanting to eat much or drink.
Consider making him some fresh plain chicken broth, and also you can make any canned food offerings extra soupy, sometimes this trick works for Patrick...adding a bit of water to make more of a gravy or to mix with the ground food.
Unfortunately, Dylan just won't touch anything with chicken flavor
Don't know why, but he rejects it and tries to burry it.

I am going to try the beef & gravy baby food...and if he doesn't go for that then I have a couple of kinds of canned that he likes that he might try.

But I will try every hour or so until I can get something in him.

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, sorry to hear Dylan is throwing up. I was wondering if your vet has ruled out any other things that Dylan could possibly have. (I'm just thinking of my Taffy. The vet felt a "mass" in her intestines, which he believes is what brought on the fatty liver syndrome. Taffy use to throw up small amounts too. Has she given him a through body check for a tumor?

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far Dylan has had complete blood chem (now done 3 times) urinalysis, ultrasound and regular clinical evaluations. He has probably visited the vet about 8 times in last two months for regular check ups and follow ups.

She said if he had a tumor it would have shown up in the ultrasound...and only problems (which aren't really too good in themselves) are the Hepatic Lipidosis and smaller kidneys than normal. (which could indicate the onset of CRF)

But...he has only just started to throw up. And..has only been on this crunchy food since Tuesday, so maybe
it is because he is adjusting to the food...it is afterall very rich. I don't know though...and with this disease being so fast acting, I am not going to take this lightly...and will discuss it with the vet.
\\
The only good thing, he has come out of hiding, and is perched on the window now...looking out at the world and sniffing the air. I will try feeding him soon, since he seems to be feeling a little better now.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Be patient with him...but be consistent too.

A few times throwing up aren't unheard of, but consistent vomiting without any intake of fluids or food, is not good.

Keep an eye on him, but try not to stress him out any more than necessary either.

Please keep us posted.

Spotz

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he keeps consistently vomiting, get him to the vet and get a tube in him to feed him-

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has eaten several large dry food meals (4 since yesterday morning) and has more energy and hasn't thrown up any more.

He has also been consistently drinking water as I have been keeping an eye on him.

I have put a bowl of dry food in living room, and in bed room at night, to further encourage his eating--and it seems to help as last two nights in a row he has hopped off bed and eaten in middle of the night and early morning.

I will continue to keep a close eye on him though.

Today I am back to work after 9 days off at home with him...feels very strange to be back with PEOPLE again.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update, Susan! I'm so happy Dylan is eating better today and drinking adequate water! It must be really strange to be bck at work. you must miss Dylan today!