Hepatic Lipidosis - What to expect

Banana0364

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I am looking for some advice on what to expect from my cat (Binx 11yrs old) who was diagnosed with Hepatic Lipidosis. We had a feeding tube placed on Friday and he seems to be getting worse not better. I feed him Royal Canin every 4 hours. He is on anti-nausea medication as well as Medronidazole and Amoxi. He is so weak I have to carry him to the litter box and all he does is sleep in a corner. The vet said if he hasn't perked up in a day or two to give her a call. I'm so worried he isn't getting better. Does anyone have any advise, similar stories or suggestions?

Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, no, my Poppycat had the other infamous trio of liver/gall bladder/pancreas issues.

Did the vet have him on an IV?

If he doesn't look better in the morning I would call the vet.

Puppy pee pads might be useful. Hang in there, this is very challenging but those threads that lavishsqualor lavishsqualor found for you have some great information.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Banana0364

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, no, my Poppycat had the other infamous trio of liver/gall bladder/pancreas issues.

Did the vet have him on an IV?

If he doesn't look better in the morning I would call the vet.

Puppy pee pads might be useful. Hang in there, this is very challenging but those threads that lavishsqualor lavishsqualor found for you have some great information.
Thanks for your response. No IV - just meds and force fed before the feeding tube, good news he did move around a little more tonight (by little not much). Hoping he will be better in the morning.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hepatic lipidosis is just what happens when the cat doesn't eat; it's not the cause of the cat's inappetence. So they have to figure out WHY this is happening.

Sadly, most of the time with my cats who ended up with hepatic lipidosis, it was because of a fatal underlying issue. I've only pulled one out of it, and she just stopped eating because she decided she didn't like the food she had eaten her entire life, as far as anyone could tell (she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, lol).

So the vet first has to determine what caused the cat to stop eating, and fix that, not just treat the hepatic lipidosis.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat went through it because of undiagnosed IBD. He survived but it is a long haul. I was feeding Hills A/D through the tube. It took about two weeks for him to start eating a little on his own and he had the tube for about a month. It does depend on the underlying issue. His IBD was well controlled with a steroid and he lived another 8 years and was very healthy the rest of his life.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a long-haul proposition. Recovery generally takes 3-6 weeks, but some cats require additional nutritional support for months. Although some 35% of cats with hepatic lipidosis do not make it, that means that 65% of them DO make it! Lighting a candle that Binx is one of the 65%! The good thing is, the liver damage is reversible, and it rarely recurs. That said, I do NOT allow Hekitty to go more than 48 hours without eating. At that point, I'm syringe-feeding, and arranging transport to the vet. Normally, 72 hours is the limit, but I'm not taking any chances! Once was more than enough!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. We're all really pulling for him and for you. You're doing everything medically possible for him and he's not vomiting which, as you said, is hopeful. All you can do is keep taking care of him and hopefully he'll turn the corner. From what I've been reading it can take several weeks so just keep on keeping on. He's such a lucky cat to have you. My thoughts are with you both. Please keep us updated!

screamingcupcakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I am looking for some advice on what to expect from my cat (Binx 11yrs old) who was diagnosed with Hepatic Lipidosis. We had a feeding tube placed on Friday and he seems to be getting worse not better. I feed him Royal Canin every 4 hours. He is on anti-nausea medication as well as Medronidazole and Amoxi. He is so weak I have to carry him to the litter box and all he does is sleep in a corner. The vet said if he hasn't perked up in a day or two to give her a call. I'm so worried he isn't getting better. Does anyone have any advise, similar stories or suggestions?

Thank you
Hi Banana0364, I had a cat many years ago who had hepatic lipidosis, and she pulled through. She had the same symptoms as your baby. They may need to switch out the food you're giving him, it might not be enough protein for him. Have you contacted the vet again? When i had to feed my cat through the feeding tube, it was a specially concocated mixture that the vet made up, but it was a veterinary hospital rather than a vet's office so I don't know what's available to you. But it was super high protein, which is what cats with hepatic lipidosis need to regenerate their liver function. I'd also recommend they take blood again to see what his levels are, they may be able to determine more from the latest results.

I'll be thinking of you and Binx. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Banana0364

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Banana0364, I had a cat many years ago who had hepatic lipidosis, and she pulled through. She had the same symptoms as your baby. They may need to switch out the food you're giving him, it might not be enough protein for him. Have you contacted the vet again? When i had to feed my cat through the feeding tube, it was a specially concocated mixture that the vet made up, but it was a veterinary hospital rather than a vet's office so I don't know what's available to you. But it was super high protein, which is what cats with hepatic lipidosis need to regenerate their liver function. I'd also recommend they take blood again to see what his levels are, they may be able to determine more from the latest results.

I'll be thinking of you and Binx. :redheartpump:
Thank so much for your response. I talked to the vet today and she said to continue to increase his food. She is going to see him again on Friday, I am just praying I start to see improvement. Thanks for thinking of us.❤

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out kittykollar.com as an alternative to the gauze wrap. My Krista had a feeding tube. But not for hepatic lipidosis. 3F6EF798-B3BE-48C8-9A5C-AB8953AB19D6.jpeg
If the doc gave me more tube length, I could have held it down with the black Velcro strap on the KK. But even without that convenience, Krista hated those stretch gauze wraps. To avoid her distress and wrath, that Kollar was worth everything.

Last edited: