Help!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats fantastic!

It`s so nice to hear things are going well for him. Do they have any idea what caused it yet? Whatever he is one tough little cookie

Vibes for such a cute little guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone..

My boyfriend went to visit him today, and he said that he is doing better now! He is lifting his head up to recieve pets under his chin, another vet (part time) had written on his paper that she handled him a lot today, and he didn't have an episode.

We are going to bring him home tomorrow, in hopes that he will be more comfortable and less stressed here. I have read about emergency valium tablets.. something like a suppository? I'm going to ask the vet about them ,jsut incase he has a bad episode.

See, the other problem here at home is, that one of my dog's likes to chase and corner my kitties... Duke is used to it, but it might be a little much for him when he is just getting home, so we're trying to think of something that we can do with my dog for the day...

I'm very excited about him coming home... I'm hoping that it will be good for him... and his fur brother will finally stop yowling!! (Driving me nuts)

The vet also said that they had never really gotten his seizures under control... but he's having less.. and I think it's because of the steroids? I don't know...
I would like them to do blood work again.

You know, I was thinking. What effect does deoderant have on cats? I mean if they ingest it... do you know anything?

Anywyas, I'm happy he's coming home.. hopefully things will be okay... or during that time, I can take him to a different vet...

Thanks again,
Stephanie..

p.s here is a picture we took of him today when we went to visit... he looks like he's smiling!! He must be happy because he knows he's coming home!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deodorant? Do you have reason to think he got hold of some and ingested it? Doesn't sound like something most cats would be interested in... You'd be better off though, to ask the vet re the major ingredients listed on the stick or bottle - it's a chemist's question, not one I think for guessing at.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Duke home? Hows he doing now?

Perhaps you could keep him in one room until he`s feeling better and so the other animals don`t overwhelm him? I would expect he needs to be kept quiet untill he`s 100% so may be best for him.

Sounds like he`s doing great though! Get well soon Duke!

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

He's home and seems to be doing fine!!

He's been pooping himself though, but I think that's just a side effect from all the drugs he's had.

So far this morning, he hasn't had an episode, and I've been handling him. (Giving him his 3 pills, and I even gave him a bath, in which he just sat there and looked kind of like he enjoyed it)

I've been putting him in the window, which is his absolute favourite place to be, and he loves it.

I even got a few meows out of him today, and they're good meows!!

Now the thing I'm a little concerned about is I "Think" he's peeing some blood. I Don't know weither this is something to be overly concerned about or not.. but it's only happened once...

And also, his hind legs are very weak.. he can't walk yet.. but I don't know if that's from the drugs and not walking for a week...

Other than those 2 issues, he's amazing.

He even meows at me when I open his canned food, which he used to do before all of this.. he actually tried to get up and come and get it, but I just put it in front of him for now!

This is some hard work, but I wouldn't have it any other way!!

Thanks guys!

Oh and I forgot to mention that after all of this, I'm definately taking pet insurance for him!!!
Our vet bill was originally $1154, but the vet cut it down to $854. They are wonderful!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go Duke!

I`m guessing he has to go back for follow ups? But I would ring them about his wee and see what they think. If he`s been so immobile and drugged up and stressed I would think it`s quite possible he may have a UTI but only the vet can tell you that.
And I guess he`s going to be feeling pretty weak and zoned out so hopefully he will start walking soon.

That`s great the vets have reduced the bill
Sound like pretty good vets you have there.

Glad to hear he is home and looking perky.
I hope he continues to get better.

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's got to go back in 3 weeks to check the level of pheno in his blood... I will call up the vet tomorrow, because there is no one there today, and they'll just refer me to an emergency vet, which I am not paying 100 for, when I'm already in debt to my vet lol

I will have it checked out definately.

I am hoping he'll be up and mobile soon!!

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Just thought I would update you on my little Duke.

I had to take him back to the vet, due to the swelling in his tummy. He was blocked, and they had to put a catheter in. I'm hoping that tomrrow he will come home, if he's peeing on his own.

His seizures have subsided quite a bit, they're down to a druel now. Not bad. I think the Pheno is finally kicking in.

His back legs aren't as bad as they were, and I went to visit him this afternoon and he was actually walking! Something he hasn't done in over 2 weeks!!

Now, I'm thinking that it is something liver related. They did blood work again, and his liver enzymes are quite high...

ALT (5-110) and his are at 205!

The vet said they are a little high... a little? That's almost 100 beyond the range...

I looked up liver problems in cats, and this matches up... and I read that liver problems can cause electrolyte imbalances in the brain, thus causing the seizures. I've asked for them to do a liver bile acid test, so hopefully we'll see what's going on there. The other symptoms match up too...lethargy, abnormal swelling of the tummy... etc etc...

He's doing wonderful and hopefully he'll be home for good tomorrow.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's doing better! Keep us posted please! Still sending lots of good vibes your way.