Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

I know that's the harsh truth, and believe me I've already started reading about it on the internet. That is my last resort.

But GOOD news. He's making an improvment. They've said that after the sedation, he's only been having about 1 an hour, which is better than the 5-10 he's been having. They're not grand-mal, and he's only had one of them. They're partial complex cluster seizures.

The vet has been kind enough to take him home with her last night and tonight. She said she doesn't want to give up on him, and she's not ready to. She said he's improving, so there is hope.

I want to thank all of you for your support... I will keep you posted!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh please do... I won't sleep tonight or at least tomorrow night without knowing! Please prove me wrong!

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!!

I just went to visit him, and he is doing awesome!! He's still pretty dopey though from the medication.

They've somewhat got his seizures under contol! Instead of the foaming, salivating and slapping his lips together, they've got it down to a little nose twitch! And he doesn't have the loud meows afterwards! The vet has been so kind in taking him home with her for the past 3 nights to monitor him, and she says that he's improving! He's still having them, but not as often and not as severe!!

Thanks again for all the support!!

P.s Larke, I don't know if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not...

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still keeping fingers crossed and prayers said for both you and Duke! It sounds like you have a great vet!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larke is being sincere, I think.. I think Larke wanted to tell you the possibilities but hopes that the opinion given is incorrect and that Duke proves the theory wrong. (We'd all rather be wrong and see a four-footer survive, I think.)

I'm sending my best wishes and good luck to you.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear Duke is doing ok!!

I'm guessing you did a thorough check of your house to make sure whatever he might have gotten into is gone now. I would definitely ask the vet if this possibly came from something that was ingested or applied (someone on another thread mentioned a flea treatment that had a horrendous result). The vets see this stuff a lot and they may have some ideas of things that cats commonly ingest that would cause this. I'm thinking antifreeze but you don't let your cat out or in the garage, right?

Anyhow I'm so happy for you. It sounded so bad. Your little kitty has used up some of those 9 lives for sure!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stellarkix09

I am hoping to prove Larke wrong!!

Oh my gosh!! What a gorgeous little man!!
Come on Duke...you can pull thru this!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry - I would never be sarcastic in a situation like this. I guess you could have read it that way, but it was not meant to be (and thanks Heather). I was just having a hard time believing he was coming out of it apparently intact as many human's brains would be toast under similar circumstances. This is fantastic!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's the little trooper doing today? I'm still sending get well vibes to him.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I`m so glad he`s doing better and what a wonderful vet you have! At least you know he`s in very capable, caring hands and good for both of you for not giving up.

Animals have a funny way of comming through things like this. I can`t remember who it was now but someone on here had a dog that was fitting severely and he came good. I think it turned out to be food poisoning.

More vibes for Duke

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm about to go see him, hopefully he's doing better!!

I have this hunch that he was drinking the water from my boyfriend's salt water tank.. I've read about salt toxicity and the symptoms somewhat match up. And it somewhat makes sense becasue my boyfriend moved his salt water tank just last weekend, (leaving buckets of salt water on the floor for a litle bit while re arranging his tank). How soon does the salt toxicity take effect?

His sodium level was at 157 (when it is supposed to be between some odd number and 158) So still, that could be high. Those results were from an actual lab.

Now when the vet did their blood test, his number read 177mmol/L whatever that means, and those numbers were supposed to be between 150 - 165) although the vet said that she dosn't trust their reading for electrolytes, and that is why she sent them away to a lab...

Do any of you think that salt toxicity is a possability?

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See, the thing is he's still eating and drinking normally.. and still using his litter box... I don't know if it could be a factor, but it certainly is a possibility. I told the vet tech to mention it to the vet today, and we'll see what she says...

I've gone through everything... I can't seem to find anything that he could have gotten into... And believe me, I've checked over and over!

This is so stressful!

sissy's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Duke (Soooo cute, by the way!) is doing better! Hopefully your trip to see him today is just as successful as the last! Fingers crossed that you get to bring him home soon!!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe if you PM a mod and get this thread moved to the Health and Nutrition forum more people with a knowledge of this kind of thing will see it and be able to give you some info on those results.

Good Luck today!

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Went to see him today!

He's doing okay. He's still very dopey from the high dosages of the Pheno. I just actually found out today that the IV isn't valium, it's just the straight pheno, so that's another great improvement! He's still having a couple episodes, but again, it's just a nose twitch!! I'm so happy my little guy is improving.

He's eating and drinking, and using his litterbox... He's actually using his litterbox to sleep as well! The tech was just finishing up washing a cat bed, and was going to put it in with him to see if he'd sleep in that instead.

The vet didn't take him home with her last night. He was left overnight at the vet, because she says that he is getting more stable by the day! He responds to his name (ears perk up, and he will look up at me).

I'm hoping I get to bring him home soon! I'm so happy that he's getting better!

You are all wonderful, and thank you for the support!!

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
awwww duke is such a handsome little man!

I am so glad that he is doing much better. that is always good to hear. still sending lots of good vibes to your boy until he is home again!

stellarkix09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

The vet said Duke is doing awesome. She said the next 48 hours are very critical for the fact of coming home. She said they;ve lowering his doages of Pheno on the IV every day...

So hopefully, in 48 hours, my little guy will be coming home!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stellarkix09

Hey everyone!

The vet said Duke is doing awesome. She said the next 48 hours are very critical for the fact of coming home. She said they;ve lowering his doages of Pheno on the IV every day...

So hopefully, in 48 hours, my little guy will be coming home!!
And prayers that he gets to come home soon!