Help!! Why isn't my cat laboring?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!! Links been more vocal, and isn’t wanting to get up from this spot. The way her body is positioned has me thinking maybe it’s time? But I’m not sure, the video of link ^^ :) any advice or insight?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey all!! Links been more vocal, and isn’t wanting to get up from this spot. The way her body is positioned has me thinking maybe it’s time? But I’m not sure, the video of link ^^ :) any advice or insight?
It MAY be the prelabor double name - Hicks pains... I never remember the full name. Its a way of mother Nature to prepare the body.
Delievry should happen inside a week... She should drop very soon, and after this its just a day or two more.

That is what I think, but I can be wrong... Nothing is as the Waiting Game...

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
It MAY be the prelabor double name - Hicks pains... I never remember the full name. Its a way of mother Nature to prepare the body.
Delievry should happen inside a week... She should drop very soon, and after this its just a day or two more.

That is what I think, but I can be wrong... Nothing is as the Waiting Game...
do you know how to tell when she drops? shes already quite small so im not quite sure how to tell

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
do you know how to tell when she drops? shes already quite small so im not quite sure how to tell
Its not always clearly visible. But the typical is, she suddenly seems less pregnant, and you dont feel the kittens move as clearly as before... OR if you do feel them move, so it will somewhat longer down.

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
okay, so link started meowing, like a ton. she is getting in the face of our other cat and meowing, looking around, restless. I think it might be getting to that time, will update you all. any tips to get her to calm down?

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
okay, so link started meowing, like a ton. she is getting in the face of our other cat and meowing, looking around, restless. I think it might be getting to that time, will update you all. any tips to get her to calm down?
her stomach is also very hard at the moment, is this normal?

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She’s beautiful! Does she have a private place to go through labor and give birth, away from other animals and children? The less stress she’s under, the easier it will be for her and her kittens.

As nerve wracking as trying to waiting on babies being born, it’s hard to give exact answers because you don’t know her due date but you’ve received good advice so far. Keep showing her lots of love and affection.

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s beautiful! Does she have a private place to go through labor and give birth, away from other animals and children? The less stress she’s under, the easier it will be for her and her kittens.

As nerve wracking as trying to waiting on babies being born, it’s hard to give exact answers because you don’t know her due date but you’ve received good advice so far. Keep showing her lots of love and affection.
She is super attached to my mom, and I’m going to be the one up with her all night. She doesn’t seem stressed to me, but we have a back room in the apartment that could be more dark and farther away from the other cats. My siblings are asleep so it’s pretty quiet right now, though I’m not sure since this would really be the only pregnancy I’ve been here for. She needs to be touched constantly lol, whenever we get up she will follow and run back to her nest, leading us back to sit with her. Her tummy is very hard and she’s purring non stop. I’m trying to be patient but I’m definitely on the edge of my seat :)

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
She is super attached to my mom, and I’m going to be the one up with her all night. She doesn’t seem stressed to me, but we have a back room in the apartment that could be more dark and farther away from the other cats. My siblings are asleep so it’s pretty quiet right now, though I’m not sure since this would really be the only pregnancy I’ve been here for. She needs to be touched constantly lol, whenever we get up she will follow and run back to her nest, leading us back to sit with her. Her tummy is very hard and she’s purring non stop. I’m trying to be patient but I’m definitely on the edge of my seat :)
image.jpg

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she’s fine where she’s at, then let her decide but she’ll definitely need privacy after, especially the kittens. Your mom can decide, of course but it’s best to give them privacy for the first few weeks but let her come out for breaks.

I hope all goes well for you. I guess you’ll do a lot of bonding tonight. You can look up kitten births on YouTube and explore the forum here, hopefully get some sleep. I’m a couple of hours ahead of you but will come back to check on you guys when my cat wakes up for his next meal in a few hours. How exciting!

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone :) about 11 hours now into what I believe is pre labor or just her preparing for labor. Been checking for mucus plug or any discharge, haven’t seen anything yet. She’s been purring, still breathing heavily, tummy still hard and still grooming herself. It’s 3- almost 4 am now!! Really hoping she has them tomorrow, or there will be many more sleepless nights to come! Good news is I’ll be home all day so I’m really crossing my fingers for it to be sometime soon or at least tomorrow/technically later today lol. She has stayed put in her nest and is still enjoying all her belly rubs. Come soon babies!! :zzzcat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stage one labor can last 24-36 hours before pushing begins. Cats will purr constantly through the pain of contractions. Have you seen ripples down her sides? Those would be contractions if so.

If she pushes with no success for an hour she will need emergency vet help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello everyone :) about 11 hours now into what I believe is pre labor or just her preparing for labor. Been checking for mucus plug or any discharge, haven’t seen anything yet. She’s been purring, still breathing heavily, tummy still hard and still grooming herself. It’s 3- almost 4 am now!! Really hoping she has them tomorrow, or there will be many more sleepless nights to come! Good news is I’ll be home all day so I’m really crossing my fingers for it to be sometime soon or at least tomorrow/technically later today lol. She has stayed put in her nest and is still enjoying all her belly rubs. Come soon babies!! :zzzcat:
Good you do these belly rubs, if nothing else its a nice massage. And the high pregs usually do allow this and even enjoy...

Give her calcium rich food if she eats or drinks. Whatever you have at home, and she does eats it.
Low calcium may make weak labor... Cant hurt, may help.

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
Stage one labor can last 24-36 hours before pushing begins. Cats will purr constantly through the pain of contractions. Have you seen ripples down her sides? Those would be contractions if so.

If she pushes with no success for an hour she will need emergency vet help.
I don’t think I have seen any ripples quite yet, it’s about 22 almost 23 hours in now and she has a bit of discharge, still needy as ever but seems a lot more uncomfortable, not walking around anymore and has hunkered down into her nest. :happycat: here’s another vid

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
Goodness! How are things going now?
she has given birth to two beautiful kittens :) I believe there is more but not sure. She did so well and it all happened so fast! She’s pushing now as we speak after taking a short break. Both kittens are healthy and suckling perfectly. Thank you everyone for the help truly! I appreciate it so much.
image.jpg
image.jpg