Help!! Why isn't my cat laboring?

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, I am unfortunately too young to afford to get my family cats spayed, and one, linky, has gotten pregnant. I have been anxious since I had started noticing signs (swollen nipples, larger belly, increased appetite.) I don't know when she was impregnated, but I would have to say sometime between August and September. She has been grooming herself excessively, and spends most of her days sleeping, but no babies? I may be getting myself worked up but it has been a lot of sleepless nights waiting for her them to come. She had a pregnancy prior which really made her depressed. She had three babies who were all deceased when we had returned home, they were all extremely small and it was just not a good experience. I have a box set up with towels, lined with paper and she has been settling nicely into it these past two weeks. I am trying to be as prepared as possible with the things I have but it is very daunting especially with no access to all of the things most people have for these pregnancies, like scales and kmr, heating disks, large pens or space for the kittens and mom to be in. I have the box she is in now, and then will have to figure out a plastic container for the babies to be in with mom once they come. Just trying to make some sort of plan and try to do the best with what I have. I have also been feeling her babies in her belly which is a good sign, but it just feels like she has been pregnant for ages and still nothing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know it seems like an eternity, but the longer the better, premature kittens have almost no chance. I know you said you don't have access to anything, but a digital scale with metric and imperial (ours) weights is almost necessary to see how the kittens are doing. the ones she had before may have been premature, or the mama had no milk. a decline in weight means they would need to be bottle fed. Please try to get a scale, they have them at Walmart, along with Kitten Replacement Milk (KMR) and a bottle you could get later. Most pregnancies last for 63 days, but some can go as long as 70. If she got pregnant in Sept. it could be a while yet. It will happen! always remember, go by how Mama is acting. If she is calm and doesn't appear to be stressed betwen kittens, all is well. If she strains and starts meowing loudly, pacing, etc. then she is in trouble. I hope all goes well, please come here any time you need for advise and comfort. bless you for taking care of her.......

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to give her calcium rich food. Whatever you have at home and she eats. Lack of calcium may cause weak labor... so, it cant hurt may help.

A scale you can perhaps borrow from a neigbour?? Or find something in a second hand shop?? Here in Sweden he have lotsa of big Second Hand shops usually driven by some church organisation. Alike Salvation Army or the Pentecost. I presume such are in USA too.

Can you get goats milk? Goats milk is OK to use if you cant get good kmr... Its also good supplement for momma cat if need be. And this is cheaper than kmr.
Raw goats milk is pricey, but pasteurized goats milk is usually OK to use. Or powdered goats milk.
Much better than pasteurized cow milk. (although it is possible raw cow milk may be OK)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
Try to give her calcium rich food. Whatever you have at home and she eats. Lack of calcium may cause weak labor... so, it cant hurt may help.

A scale you can perhaps borrow from a neigbour?? Or find something in a second hand shop?? Here in Sweden he have lotsa of big Second Hand shops usually driven by some church organisation. Alike Salvation Army or the Pentecost. I presume such are in USA too.

Can you get goats milk? Goats milk is OK to use if you cant get good kmr... Its also good supplement for momma cat if need be. And this is cheaper than kmr.
Raw goats milk is pricey, but pasteurized goats milk is usually OK to use. Or powdered goats milk.
Much better than pasteurized cow milk. (although it is possible raw cow milk may be OK)
i could definitely see about putting some stuff up and asking around for a scale to potentially borrow. when it comes to goat milk being used as a replacer, would it only need to be used if a kitten isn't suckling or getting enough milk? or should it always be used and paired with moms milk as well?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Only used if a kitten is not gaining sufficiently from nursing its mom and needs supplementing. Mom could drink a dish of goat milk a day for the extra calcium she needs while pregnant and nursing.

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont know if this is possibly her having pre labor contractions, but her tail is up and flicking, as if she is agitated and it has been like this for about maybe 20 minutes? she is also breathing heavily, and when feeling her sides (very lightly with the back of my palm) i felt A TON of movement either from contractions or kittens. I have felt this movement before but never this hard and so close together. she is purring and laying on her side now, receiving a ton of pets. she seems relaxed and there is no observed panting, otherwise seeming relaxed despite her tail. she is in her box so i suppose there is nothing to do but to wait.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Arizona is a big state but are you anywhere close to Tucson?

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be! Usually kitten movement all but quits before labor, they are all lined up. But it could be contractions. Keep us posted!
i will be keeping an eye on her and will update if anything else occurs or if more questions come up! planning on making a few signs to put in my apartment mailroom asking for a scale and maybe any unneeded blankets as well. is there anything that comes to mind that i could also ask to borrow/have?

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents live northwest of phoenix. See if anyone has powdered kmr they’re not using anymore. Even if the kittens don’t need it, mama can benefit from a dish a day. You never know what people might be willing to share, especially when it comes to cats!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like most stuff is covered, but I just wanted to add what I have used for kittens in the past. For keeping the kittens and mother in I used a plastic cat/dog carrier (like these https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61pH42vQfdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg) with the top and door removed, with blankets. It worked well to keep the kittens contained until they are more mobile and it's easy to clean. For the scale even a cheap (around $10) kitchen scale can work well.

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like most stuff is covered, but I just wanted to add what I have used for kittens in the past. For keeping the kittens and mother in I used a plastic cat/dog carrier (like these https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61pH42vQfdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg) with the top and door removed, with blankets. It worked well to keep the kittens contained until they are more mobile and it's easy to clean. For the scale even a cheap (around $10) kitchen scale can work well.
Thank you!! my mom is starting to be more receptive about getting stuff for her so I will have to see what i will be able to get my hands on. Thanks everyone for the help and I will update if anything else comes up :)

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a small update, i think she has to be in the ballpark of 7-9 weeks into her pregnancy so if not this week then next week or the week after. I got my hands on a bottle and i used some old cut up clothes to make her nest more suitable. trying to get a few things at a time but im hopeful. cant wait for her to have her kittens!! next big thing for me is some form of kmr.

owiebugman

maow maow
Young Cat
Purraise
linky is back in her box/near it after a few days of leaving it be. she has been quite restless and honestly so have i!! while watching her nap the day away i notice her body twitch, kinda convulse in a way, and i can notice certain spots that rise and fall which i believe is kicks. it is almost like a full body shudder and i am not too sure if this is normal as she has never done it before. no discharge or anything yet that i have been able to see, but she is very protective over her belly and backside so i rarely am able to see. she is breathing quite heavy, but might be my wishful thinking lol! shes been eating less than usual, and is a lot more loving, she actually jumped onto my moms lap while she was sleeping and she never would under normal circumstances. all seems well! hopefully will see some kittens soon, she seems small so i would assume 3-4 babies
Photo-3(7).jpeg
possibly :)