Help!! Walter is peeing now!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We didn't have this problem until Sebastian got here. Due to many, many reasons (peeing only being a small part of it) we and the rescue decided he wasn't a good fit for our family so he went back to his foster mother. The two places that Sebastian peed (that we know of) were the heated bean bag bed that I made for Nora before the boys even got here, and a rolled up blanket we have in front of our back door to stop drafts.

Once Sebastian was gone I thought everything would be fine again b/c the rest of them got along fine. A few days later we were watching tv after DS went to bed, and Walter went over to the rolled up blanket, started digging in it, then squatted, right in front of us. We both shouted at the same time, I ran over and scooped him up and took him to the room with the litter box and shut the door. I don't think he had a chance to do anything before we shouted b/c I couldn't smell anything. The next night he did the exact same thing. After that I put a litter box there, up tight against the door so he couldn't pee on the blanket, rather in the litter box.

Now, just a few minutes ago, Walter crawled up into the empty bean bag (no blankets on it or anything) and took a pee. Right in front of me. I put him in the laundry room again. I'm SOOO mad, though. I don't know what else to do. The bean bag is no longer in the office, it is in the basement. Maybe I didn't get the pee out well enough. I've been spraying everything with an enzyme cleaner thing. This is just so irritating to me b/c we haven't had any problems with Nora whatsoever. She's been the perfect cat. I don't want to sound vain, but we can't afford to have a cat peeing all over our house with our it due to close for sale in a month.

Please give me ideas on what to do to fix this.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a stupid question, but Walter has already been to the vet to rule out a UTI right?

Buddy has two cats that got UTIs at the same time, so I remember reading up to see if UTIs are contagious and they are not, not even in the litter, but we did read that there are causes for UTIs that can be contagious like bacteria and what not.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kara, what enzyme cleaner are you using?
Also, spraying will do nothing - you really need to soak it!
Get as much urine off the bean bag as you can, then pour the enzyme cleaner on it - not spray it, but pour on it...
Let it air dry for an hour or so then towel dry *the excess*. Leave it air drying outside of their reach - yep, it can take days and days to completely air dry it, but it is important to air dry it so the enzymes eat it through the urine.

For the blanket, if you watch it on the washing machine, put the enzyme cleaner in the washer, and stop the cycle to it soaks well. Leave it there for a while. Then hang dry.
I only trust two enzyme cleaners: Nok Out and Anti-Icky-Poo. When Lucky was peeing outside of the box I was buying the gallon...

helpmycatnash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope you don't have one of those litter boxes with a hood on it cause some cats just dont feel comfy in those and will pee! Also coming from experience with other cats, is there anything he might be pissed (no pun intended) off about? Some cats will pee in places they shouldn't out of upset.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Probably a stupid question, but Walter has already been to the vet to rule out a UTI right?

Buddy has two cats that got UTIs at the same time, so I remember reading up to see if UTIs are contagious and they are not, not even in the litter, but we did read that there are causes for UTIs that can be contagious like bacteria and what not.
A lot of UTI's in cats are stress related, so it could also still be an aftereffect of Sebastian being there.

Squatting and not spraying in a standing position is also an indicator he might not be marking territory.

After ruling out physical problems, the second thing to do when a cat urinates outside the box is to evaluate the litterbox arrangments. Trying an extra box (even if it is a storage bin or something like that) in a different location from your first box never hurts.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be taking him to a vet to rule out a uti, then getting a black light to see if you have missed anywhere when cleaning

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kara, obviously you didn't get the smell out as he's peeing in the same places.

Carolina's right - the affected area of the blanket has to be soaked, and then the blanket has to be washed with an enzyme cleaner (add it to the laundry like you would bleach).

As to the bean bag... you can try soaking it. Cat pee wicks, and unless you get the enzyme cleaner to go to all the same spots the cat pee did, you won't get rid of the smell of the pee. In my experience, anything like a mattress or cushions (and a bean bag could count) needs to be treated at least twice, and three times isn't unusual. I'd consider just tossing it, unless it's worth that much in enzyme cleaner (and Nok Out and Anti-Icky poo aren't cheap. We haven't used Anti-Icky Poo, but Nok Out is the only one we've had long term success with. Nature's Miracle just doesn't cut it).

Of course, whenever someone pees outside the box here, the first thing we do is go to the vet. Turns out Spooky only pees outside the box when something's wrong with her. Doesn't have to be her bladder or a UTI. When her teeth are in pain, she pees outside the box.

I know it's frustrating, but please try not to shout at him, it will only make the problem worse. He doesn't know he's doing anything wrong, and additional stress is NOT going to help. You need to focus on positive reinforcement, and praising him for using the box.

I'm so sorry about Sebastian.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet says that he is fine, health wise. Plus, he only ever pees in those two spots (that Seb peed in), and he uses the litter box just fine otherwise. Since we moved the one box into the living room, the boys use that one the most now and we see them use it all the time. We have boxes (we use clear rubbermaid type containers rather than a normal "litter box") in the laundry room, powder room, and now living room.

The bean bag is just a cheapo $5 one from Walmart that I used when I did photography, so it's just getting thrown out. Natures Miracle Just for Cats is the type of enzyme spray I was using. I'll see if I can find some Nok Out or Anti-Icky-Poo here. Can you find it at places like Petco/Petsmart or do you have to order it online?

Any other suggestions for me, other than using the cleaner on the bean bag and blanket? We've been confining him in the bathroom again with the litter box. He's not very happy with me.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have feliway diffusers running? The spray helps a lot too, spraying around the area he is peeing. Also, Cat attract litter would help a bunch...

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said, he uses the litter box just fine. He only pees out of the litterbox once a day usually. Cat attract litter is way out of our budget, unfortunately. We do not have feliway running. I can look for the spray, I know they have it at Petsmart.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might only be them places but black light the place it will show you any spits that may of been missed its easy done

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd throw out the door blanket and the beanbag. Those good enzyme cleaners are sold on line. Seems like Cat Attract litter, to use temporarily, until this problem is solved, would be worth it since it stresses you out so much.

When did the vet see him and say he is fine? Since this started?

Robin

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

I'd throw out the door blanket and the beanbag. Those good enzyme cleaners are sold on line. Seems like Cat Attract litter, to use temporarily, until this problem is solved, would be worth it since it stresses you out so much.

When did the vet see him and say he is fine? Since this started?

Robin
Yes since this started. I won't throw out the blanket b/c I made it myself. I'll just keep washing it. The beanbag is getting thrown out, though. If I wash the blanket in bleach, will that get rid of the pee smell enough?

I'm sure anyone that has a house a month out from closing and has a cat suddenly start peeing outside of the litter box would be a little stressed out also. Can you really blame me?? We can't afford to lose this sale b/c they come in and smell cat piss, whereas before they didn't. I can't possibly be the only person on the planet that gets upset over this. Give me a break.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Yes since this started. I won't throw out the blanket b/c I made it myself. I'll just keep washing it. The beanbag is getting thrown out, though. If I wash the blanket in bleach, will that get rid of the pee smell enough?

I'm sure anyone that has a house a month out from closing and has a cat suddenly start peeing outside of the litter box would be a little stressed out also. Can you really blame me?? We can't afford to lose this sale b/c they come in and smell cat piss, whereas before they didn't. I can't possibly be the only person on the planet that gets upset over this. Give me a break.
No bleach isn't enough you need an enzyme cleaner which breaks it down which then gets rid of the smell, I'm sure we all get that your stressed but you need enzyme cleaner it will get rid of the smell

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kara, I don't think she is blaming you... I think what she means is that the investment is worth since the stress is so great... Many of us have been there, and yes, it is VERY stressful, selling the house or not... I went through this with carpet, which is even more complicated to correct... You can't just rip it off, you know? It takes time and patience...
I use cat attract litter or precious cat - which ever is available just because I like it, and my cats use it religiously.... It costs me about $20-22 a month for 3 large boxes (one of them is a giant, huge box!!!)... It is WELL worth it, and not that much of an investment when you think about it... Also, they do have a rebate form for 100% money back on your first bag, for your first bag will be free - here is the link: http://www.preciouscat.com/pdf/Free_...ll_8-17-06.pdf

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that peed on bean bags, and he stopped once he was neutered. I can't remember, are they neutered yet? Other than than I'm not very helpful, I'm afraid. Is it that slick type of bean bag? They just seem to love to go on that type of stuff, AND those plastic garbage bags.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We can't afford to lose this sale b/c they come in and smell cat piss, whereas before they didn't. I can't possibly be the only person on the planet that gets upset over this. Give me a break.
Give you a break? Give us credit. We're trying to help. Most of us have had to deal with a cat peeing outside of the box, some of us for some time. Whether your house is for sale or not, it's extremely stressful.

And if you can't afford to lose the sale, then Cat Attract is worth the investment, at least in the short run.

It seems you need something better than Nature's Miracle. And no, bleach won't do it, as aj already pointed out.

But for now, I would suggest at least removing the blanket. And if you're able to get the Feliway spray, I'd spray it along that door and wherever the bean bag was (at a minimum). Please do just make sure not to spray it near the litter boxes.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kara, I am so sorry about this situation and am sorry for Sebastian too. I have also had problems with cat pee over the years and it is quite stressful for human and cat alike. Feelings of insecurity can cause your cat to start spraying. With the changes in the home in regards to Sebastian coming in and then suddenly disappearing could be causing Walter some stress and confusion as well.

It is so important to identify the area where the spraying has taken place. You are sure there are the two places, the bean bag (which I too would toss) and the blanket. I, too, thought bleach would get rid of the smell on blankets, etc. I am surprised to read other's say it doesn't. YIKES!!!

There should be no need for a cat to spray urine indoors in a domestic setting, since this should represent a safe haven for them, but, if there is tension or confusion between the members of the household and the cat feels insecure they will resort to urine spraying to address the conflict. This is one of the downsides to sharing our life with these wonderful creatures. And I worry about it too, especially after reading about all the problems other's do have with this. IT CAN BE RESOLVED

You need to get a black light! Petsmart carries one, called STINK FREE> I also use the Stink Free enzyme cleaner. It is awesome. I also use NOK Out. As far as I know NO other cleaner's work well enough. The black light will need to be used at night with all the lights off. If there are other spots in the carpet that will cause Walter to go to his favorite spot to pee (i.e., blanket or bean bag). This will pin-point the spot and you can treat it too.

You also need to make sure he has no infection, or bladder crystals. With the stress going on in the home right now, this could very well be the culprit. Could be feline lower urinary tract disease, bladder stones which cause cystitis, and crystals. This might not be the cause, but it must be checked into.

With Walter and Thomas having their brother come in for a few weeks and then suddenly disappear might have caused them a bit of insecurity. I have a sanctuary room, safe room in my house where it is filled with kitty heaven stuff and if I ran into this problem, I would confine to this room to get a handle on the stress-causing situation and time to properly clean the rest of the house. This way the cat can begin to settle and use the box again. This is just a suggestion and probably what I would do. You could even put Thomas in that room with Walter. They both are probably a bit out of sorts at the moment.

They also are feeling you stress as your upcoming move comes closer. So there is a multifaceted group of issues going on in the home right now. It might be best to confine both boys to their own room for the remainder of the month till you move. Try to just keep things calm/quiet, it sounds like they just need to feel safe/secure again. I don't know if this helps, but these are things I would do.