Help sexing 10 day old rescued kitten

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Violette has still not passed the stool, she actually squirted a small amount of diarrhea but then strained very hard for about a minute before giving up again. She continues to have blood spotting from all of the straining. Is it alright that the diarrhea has become more severe? Or should I stop the olive oil? She seemed to be possibly close to getting it out, thankfully. Thank you!
I would not stop the olive oil. She is having diarrhea around the blockage. Hopefully another blockage won't form if you keep up with the olive oil. Are you helping to stimulate her to go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I fed her with another 4 drops of olive oil around 6 after all of that occurred, since she seemed to be straining harder. I am stimulating her to go as she only goes by herself if I don't come after shes meowed for help for a few minutes. I always stimulate her again if she has gone by herself (especially as she tends to walk in it after and needs to be cleaned) to make sure she is done. She has only gone by herself since she's had the constipation, so I'm pretty sure she can't fully go by herself.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Violette has still not pooped, and is not straining quite as much but still straining with blood. I called a some vets for their opinions and they recommended feeding some pure pumpkin or switching formula or parasites. They seemed to think that if she is pooping at all, then she wouldn't be constipated and that she is straining from the diarrhea itself, however they did not see her as she is too young for many vets in my area (even a cat hospital).

I'm not sure whether to continue with the olive oil or to switch to a different formula or give some pumpkin.

She started out on petag kmr with the man that found her, and she didn't poop for the first 2 days I had her. By then I had to switch to another brand as the pet store didn't have kmr and her first stool after the 2 days was soft jam like. On that formula her poop remained the jam consistency. I have about 1/4 container of that left, but decided to switch to petag petlac kmr formula when I saw it in the pet store. Her first stool on this formula was her first solid stool, and she continued to and seemed normal and she barely strained. She's been on the petlac for almost 2 weeks and been eliminating play dough consistency stools on this formula during that time.

Then 2 days ago began to have some mucus in her stool and the next day she started with the diarrhea and straining. Any advice for what to do for her? Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs to be seen by a vet and treated for parasites. Constantly switching formulas can upset her system as well. If she is not weaned, she will not be able to eat pumpkin.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I called around several more vets and the only one who will see her at this age is booked until next week. I researched some more and decided to try goats milk and she loves it. Her diarrhea has stopped and her stool is beginning to return to normal within one day on the goats milk. I will be sure to get her to the vet next week if she remains in stable and improving condition, otherwise I will have to go to the emergency vet.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The formula was only changed once in my care, and seemed to be having better stool with the new formula for weeks until the recent diarrhea, which was what was confusing to me, thankfully the goats milk seems to be working for her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear that the goat's milk is helping. It sounds like she has a sensitive system.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! In fact now has not pooped for 8 days! I took her to the vet yesterday and they did a fecal test for parasites, she was clear. He also said that despite not pooping for a week, it was of soft/normal consistency and that she doesn't seem to be constipated. She got dewormer and the vet said I could begin trying some wet food to help her go, as she is now 5 weeks and has in her teeth. She will drink wet food mixed with goats milk or formula, but is not interested in lapping anything from a dish.
This is her today!

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she could go 8 days without pooping without being extremely backed up, the vet definitely would have noticed. I suspect, at this age, that she has found a secret place to poop that you haven't found yet ;). Young kittens don't have a strong stool odor ao sometime you don't notice.

She's so cute!

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet also suggested she may have a hiding space, but I have her in a cage at night and when unsupervised and she will tend to go out of her bed to pee (or diarrhea when that was going on) and I haven't seen anything in her blanket in there! She is acting totally normal and becoming more and more active by the day, just no poop! The vet said that if she doesn't go in about 48 hours that he can prescribe her a laxative to help her go, but that she seems to be ok and healthy for now.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully she went this morning, on the 10th day! I suppose the wet food added to her bottle helped her go.