Help sexing 10 day old rescued kitten

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, def a girl :)

Also going to be a beauty, Siamese colors with blue eyes I bet.

I hope you are well aware of how to care for her, that she MUST stay constantly warmed with a heating pad on low, blankets do not make warmth, it must be a heating source.

Tiny paws should feel the same temp as your hands.

Needs to be fed with a 1.0 ml syringe at first, tiny drop in to the cheek area at a time, while on tummy NEVER on back.

On tummy, raise the head slightly and place a drop or 2 at a time and wait for swallow.

The first few days are the hardest since she will really resist being fed by you and not her momma, but must! Every 2-3 hours for a solid day to get stabilized, then start working on the bottle feeding. After maybe the 4th try (with using syringe once she refuses it) then she will start taking it from the bottle.

The nipple must be cut but this is tricky, a tiny hole to start, it should not come running out on it's own.

She needs approx 48 mls per day. This is thinking she might weigh 6 ounces, for each ounce of weight she needs 8 mls per day.

Find a rescue or a vet who will help or take her unless you feel confident you can do this.

She also needs to be pottied, after feeding take a slightly damp warm paper towel or tissue and gently blot/rub her genital area so she pees.

MUST be warm at all times though.

MUST take in enough formula each day.

MUST be pottied.

These are the 3 things she needs now.

There are no reserves for her yet, so anything that goes in to her tummy is digested after 2 hours, then her system is surviving on nothing at all, causing them to dehydrate fast and head downhill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I do have a heating pad on low under her shoebox with a blanket as well. I have alarms set on my phone to feed her each time, and have been weighing her daily to be sure she is growing. At 9/10 days old she is weighing around 8.8 oz. and is gaining weight every day. She is also gaining more of her color each day her paw pads darkened overnight. Any ideas on what type of Siamese she is, and long or short hair possibly? The mother was feral and unable to be caught and spayed and the father(s) unknown. There were originally 2 Siamese kittens 2 red and one lighter orange/cream. She has a striped tail !

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! I do have a heating pad on low under her shoebox with a blanket as well. I have alarms set on my phone to feed her each time, and have been weighing her daily to be sure she is growing. At 9/10 days old she is weighing around 8.8 oz. and is gaining weight every day. She is also gaining more of her color each day her paw pads darkened overnight. Any ideas on what type of Siamese she is, and long or short hair possibly? The mother was feral and unable to be caught and spayed and the father(s) unknown. There were originally 2 Siamese kittens 2 red and one lighter orange/cream. She has a striped tail !
Excellent!

My best guess would be a lynx point tabby.

@StefanZ  is much better at identifying based on color at this age I bet.

What little I know is pretty cool though :)

In simple terms the color gene is dormant as long as baby is warm, in utero, then once born the ears, face, paws, tail that can be the cooler spots of course, their extremities, which then become darker depending on the amt of cold exposure, etc.

Something like that!  

You're better off googling that! lol 

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I was given a kitten last Thursday at 3 days old as it's mother was hit by a car and died. Last night she sneezed for the first time, which worried me since she hasn't done that before and I know kittens this small must be watched very closely. She's been sneezing today once every 1-3 hours, and has a small amount of watery clear discharge from her nose if she sneezes. She also has been waking up every 1-2 hours for the past 6 hours and previously had to be woken up to be fed and generally slept until awoken. She still has the same voracious appetite as before and is gaining weight every day. As this is my first time hand rearing a kitten, I am not sure if these are because she is just older now and just has a simple irritation or if she could have a more serious infection and want to be cautious. I have been keeping her warm with a heating pad on low under a blanket in a shoebox, and have the heater on in in the room to 70° as well. I've been feeding her every 3 hours and weighing her daily to ensure she is eating adequately for her size. Does anyone know what this may be? And should I call a vet, or continue to closely watch her condition? Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
toulousekitty toulousekitty

It sounds like she may have an upper respiratory infection (URI). It is caused by the herpes virus. You can sit holding her on your lap in a steamy bathroom for a few minutes with a hot shower running to help clear her airways. Do this 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes. The frequent waking may be from a stuffy nose, or she may be hungry.

You may want to see a vet for antibiotics if she does not improve. A cold can easily turn to pneumonia in a tiny kitten, which can be fatal.

It sounds like you are taking excellent care of this tiny kitten. Thank you for saving her! We'd love to see a picture! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re color - if you know what color mamma and or siblings were, it could give some indicies.  Even strong indicies.

For now my guess is, he is blue point (ie diluted black = grey) - and very possibly tabby point, thus the guess will be blue lynx point

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! She has been sneezing slightly less today and not waking up as frequently as yesterday, however I noticed she has a small amount of clear discharge from the inner corners of her eyes although they are still both firmly closed. I dry it with a tissue to prevent any crusting, could this be related to the sneezing, or possibly her eyes preparing to open? Here's a picture of her today!

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ Thank you, she does seem to be a blue lynx point! I was told her mother was feral and looked like a Siamese and the litter mates were Siamese and red/orange.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If some siblings were red / orange, there is a big possibility its really red - "flame" lynx point she will be.   Not creme, because the darkening is quite visible.  With a creme it would be barely visible.

I gather your source dont tells what point color was momma - blue / black or red. Or if she had visible tabby markings.    The siblings were young when they perished, so the point color was of course not visible.  They were just whitish to an occasional onlooker.  (whom apparently knew points "siamese mixes" are born white and darken up later).

The coloring was visible just on the non points.

So momma was a point, daddy a non pointed carrier of the point gene.

We will see in just a few weeks more.   :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the herpes virus to me too, especially with the mattery eyes.VERY common, a kitty cold. It usually runs its course in  a week or two, but she must be monitored closely for signs of pneumonia. Antibiotics won't work unless it turns into something bacterial. L-Lysine is usually given to stop the progress of the virus, but in a kitten that young definitely get the advise of a vet. 

Bless you for taking her in, I'll pray for her to continue to thrive. What a precious little bundle, I can see her 'points' starting on her tail, and her ears look a little darker, She's a beauty, a little Angel! If she has some Siamese or Himalayan in her be prepared for a talker! She'll give you much happiness in the coming years, if love can save her she'll live a long time. All the luck.

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She is sneezing only about once or twice a day today and yesterday, although her eyes had slightly more discharge, Her eyes have begun to both open in the inner corners this afternoon at 12 days old! I have been standing with her in the bathroom with the shower on hot for 5-10 mins a few times a day and gently dab any discharge from her eyes or nose with a tissue with warm water. I also add a small amount of extra water to her milk to replenish any lost fluids as she is still eating any time the bottle is offered.