Help please. Swollen gland and nipple

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought the oil. But i was Jw if the virgin olive oil can aggravate kittens tummies and give them diahrea maybe or aggravate their throat ? She has really long hair so its absorbed alot.

Ugh i had to go to clinic and was diagnosed with pneumonia and put on 3 puffers and 2 meds...Is it possibly contagious to mom from me or to kittens?

Thx!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The oil is fine for the kittens.  We even recommend using it in kitten formula for the hand reared kittens when they are constipated.   We wouldn't recommend something that would be bad for the kittens.

Pneumonia isn't contagious, so no worries.  Feel better soon.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I bought the oil. But i was Jw if the virgin olive oil can aggravate kittens tummies and give them diahrea maybe or aggravate their throat ? She has really long hair so its absorbed alot.

Ugh i had to go to clinic and was diagnosed with pneumonia and put on 3 puffers and 2 meds...Is it possibly contagious to mom from me or to kittens?

Thx!
The olive oil shouldnt be in any way harmful.  I suppose if you give very much, yes, it could cause some diarrhea. Not harmful poisoning, but a diarrhea.   After all, its cousin the ricine oil is renown for looseing the stols, often used in practical jokes for someone shortly before playing an important match.   :)

But it small dosages, no.  Small dosages we DO use it against constipation.

The human and the animal pneumonia are caused by different bacteria as far as I know.  In practice, its very seldom cats and humans can catch contagions from each other.

ps.  Im not sure what the word  Jw  stands for.   A short word for something I guess.

Last edited:

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The olive oil shouldnt be in any way harmful.  I suppose if you give very much, yes, it could cause some diarrhea. Not harmful poisoning, but a diarrhea.   After all, its cousin the ricine oil is renown for looseing the stols, often used in practical jokes for someone shortly before playing an important match.   :)

But it small dosages, no.  Small dosages we DO use it against constipation.

The human and the animal pneumonia are caused by different bacteria as far as I know.  In practice, its very seldom cats and humans can catch contagions from each other.

ps.  Im not sure what the word  Jw  stands for.   A short word for something I guess.
Thank

Thank you for not minimizing my question about potential flip side of any treatment or medication. Im well informed now.

Thank you for understanding that my question was concerning whether its a myth or not for animals to contract from humans. Battling pneumonia 3 times and the bacteria in my pneumonia is contagious. Thats not the concern though just about the myth that u clarified well

Lastly you are right jw is short for "just wondering"

Thanks again :))

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Often, veterinarians recommend that you apply warm compress and milk out the affected gland(s) several times daily to keep the milk ducts
 clear. Application of cabbage leaf wraps to the affected glands may also speed resolution of the swelling and help bring comfort to your cat. Abscessed or gangrenous glands, on the other hand, will require surgical remova
Thank you. I am wondering why cabbage and if the cabbage would help soothe the nipple they prefer and fight over since its on rawish side?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your mama kitty's sore nipple will benefit from some Udder Balm. It is non-toxic for the kittens and very soothing. We've recommended it for mom cats with sore nipples who are nursing eight kittens and it proved immediately successful!

In the meantime a small amount of vegetable or olive oil will prevent further chapping. Any other products such as hand lotions or baby oil are not safe for the kittens.

I know that cabbage worn in a bra has helped human moms from being sore while their milk dries up, but I am not sure what it might do for your cat.

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your mama kitty's sore nipple will benefit from some Udder Balm. It is non-toxic for the kittens and very soothing. We've recommended it for mom cats with sore nipples who are nursing eight kittens and it proved immediately successful!

In the meantime a small amount of vegetable or olive oil will prevent further chapping. Any other products such as hand lotions or baby oil are not safe for the kittens.

I know that cabbage worn in a bra has helped human moms from being sore while their milk dries up, but I am not sure what it might do for your cat.
I have to wait a few days to give another treatment of the olive oil so was just investigating for another treatment in between if needed and wondered about cabbage option.

Thanks