Help please. Swollen gland and nipple

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the kittens are nursing and doing okay for now. Try to relax and just watch her and see how things go :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tyvm . I plan on trying got movies and chips when i was out earlier

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes i agree totally now that was one of her distress. Shes at peace today and very motherly since i left her for a few hours and have not handled kittens. Just her when she comes to me for luv and hot compress and sponge bath. Thank u for heads up on that issue as well

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did not see alot of the replies til now. Kota is a trooper now. She slept all day with her babies and wake up to mother them on time.

The hot compress was a hit. It relieved alot of the swelling i think she was able to release milk from it herself cause i would put hot compress she would lick afterwards for awhile. Team work, So upset vet couldnt even suggest that

I guess my not intervening and putting my scent on kittens her mothering resumed well

I also placed a heating pad on low wrapped in towel nearby.

I have thermometer kitten milk and syringe in case relapse

I hope it keeps up!

I live in a province Ontario Canada no county here :))

Thank you all for your care and time and posts

I will keep you updated. I enjoyed a movie night and rest finally!

Wish u all a good day

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will try to head out today or monday for scale. The gland has gone down and i cintinue to treat it she enjoys it very much cause now her nipple is very red rawish but not infected. Now im curious if anything can be done for sore nipples? Ahh its hard being a foster but its for them

Now she cries liud looking out window. Hope shes not in heat already!! Also glad about not letting her out even on leash. She needs to be spayed somehow thats for sure

So through everyones advice i figured out her pure distress and almost abandoning her kitties was her gland and her uterus was contracting hard thus her cramps and cries not labour like i feared. Theyve subsided.

The worse for her was trip to vet and her boyz being handled by humans. My leaving her today alone for a bit and not touching her kitties at all she felt liberated and took charge . I hope it continues today.

Ty again everyone that has posted cause all heads together has pulled kittys n mom through this far

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will try to head out today or monday for scale. The gland has gone down and i cintinue to treat it she enjoys it very much cause now her nipple is very red rawish but not infected. Now im curious if anything can be done for sore nipples? Ahh its hard being a foster but its for them

Now she cries liud looking out window. Hope shes not in heat already!! Also glad about not letting her out even on leash. She needs to be spayed somehow thats for sure

So through everyones advice i figured out her pure distress and almost abandoning her kitties was her gland and her uterus was contracting hard thus her cramps and cries not labour like i feared. Theyve subsided.

The worse for her was trip to vet and her boyz being handled by humans. My leaving her today alone for a bit and not touching her kitties at all she felt liberated and took charge . I hope it continues today.

Ty again everyone that has posted cause all heads together has pulled kittys n mom through this far
They can come into heat already 6-7 days after the delivery.

Re the sore nipples, you can always try with some good food oil, for example coldpressed olive oil, or coldpressed rapeseed oil.  These do contain guite a lot of E-vitamines, and its helps with healing.

Some preparate for human moms sore teats should also be OK, Be sure it doesnt contain zinc.  Zinc isnt good for cats.

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may be worried you are going to take the kittens to the vet, since you took her there.

And that makes sense for alot of her drastic change in behaviour like stare at me while hiding her kittens with her paws when i had to walk by so ive ignored her all day and gave her space and she dudnt seek me for attention til hours and ma

I will wear a pair of latex gloves if i handle them as to not leave my scent on them.

Ty

Last edited by a moderator:

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.s. That is when she started neglecting them when she was rushed to ver so any suggestions as to how i can get her permission to access them such as weigh them? She cries alot when she cant find one right away.

Shes cries while caring for them and she tried to grab one by its neck and then jumped back. Then cried many times and acts like shes panting and left the litter to be by my feet. Idk what her complaint is? Wish we had a Ceaser Millan cat whisper in the faniky

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good grief as if kota doesnt have enuff to deal with cause shes making a weird extremely loud kind of howl when she looks outside its sad. I feel bad she misses her family maybe and her freedom.

As for the nippies im off to shower and chase down a scale and right oil. But what does coldpressed mean?

Canadians have a diff term for language from you all at times eh? Or we dont csrry same products at all. Its ok uve done enuff i'll google that one or call a friend ;))

Geeze shes vocal as i write shes lying away from kittens and staring at them and cries, when i ask whats wrong she cries her upset cry. Im beginning to understand some of her vocalizing with me but its the why barrier driving me insane.

In the pictures both kittens have their heads on heating pad. Please dont mind the decorations im trying to save my couch and went through many towel and blankets. Now on top to do on this sunday is laundry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
P.s. That is when she started neglecting them when she was rushed to ver so any suggestions as to how i can get her permission to access them such as weigh them? She cries alot when she cant find one right away.

Shes cries while caring for them and she tried to grab one by its neck and then jumped back. Then cried many times and acts like shes panting and left the litter to be by my feet. Idk what her complaint is? Wish we had a Ceaser Millan cat whisper in the faniky
That is easy.  You do weight them immediately near the nest, so she sees you and the kitten the whole time.  You talk sweetly and calming too...  Be soft with the kitten, have a nice cloth on the scale so its not cold, so the kitten wont have it unpleasant and complain...   do it quickly, so it takes just a short while.   Train some before.

When the mom sees the kitten the whole time, and its nothing dangerous, she will surely accept it.  Even most semiferalaes accept this, if the handling of the kittens is done with respect.  You probably dont need gloves, your smell isnt that touchy.

Re her whining and meowing -  I wonder if she is still in some pains somewhere...  Sounds so.

Unless she is trying to communicate with you.  That is the other explanation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, try to handle the kittens only to weigh them for now. I do not think it is the scent as much as it is the amount of time that they are handled. Very wise to leave her be with her babies.

As StefanZ StefanZ said, olive or vegetable oil may be applied to the raw, sore nipple. We have also found that Udder Balm works well and is non-toxic. And of course the warm compresses are good.

She can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old, and of course no going outside at all before then.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good grief as if kota doesnt have enuff to deal with cause shes making a weird extremely loud kind of howl when she looks outside its sad. I feel bad she misses her family maybe and her freedom.

As for the nippies im off to shower and chase down a scale and right oil. But what does coldpressed mean?

Canadians have a diff term for language from you all at times eh? Or we dont csrry same products at all. Its ok uve done enuff i'll google that one or call a friend
)

Geeze shes vocal as i write shes lying away from kittens and staring at them and cries, when i ask whats wrong she cries her upset cry. Im beginning to understand some of her vocalizing with me but its the why barrier driving me insane.

In the pictures both kittens have their heads on heating pad. Please dont mind the decorations im trying to save my couch and went through many towel and blankets. Now on top to do on this sunday is laundry.
When they produce the food oil, from olive, or other seeds, there are  different methods.  The best oil is usually the cold pressed.   Ie, they press out the oil in just by sheer pressure.   That oil is often called for virgin "first"  oil too, at least, if in olives.

Another method is by warm pressing, when you heat up the seeds.  Its very common method, its easier, the oil is usually cheaper.  And its usually of lower quality. Many vitamines are destroyed in the process...

So, if you see on the bottle cold pressed, or virgin, its almost always a sign of good quality.  Even if it costs a little more.

Otherwise look after  ecological or organic made oils - they are also almost always coldpressed.  Probably costs, but you dont need to take the very most costly and exclusive brands.

There are more costly, more exclusive brands, and there are cheaper, ecological brands.  At least, so it is in Sweden.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@4 mimi things will calm down in a couple of days.  Cat can pick up on our emotions, so it you are stressed it will effect how the cat reacts to you. Stay calm and feel confident and the cat will pick up on that and stay calm as well.

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When they produce the food oil, from olive, or other seeds, there are  different methods.  The best oil is usually the cold pressed.   Ie, they press out the oil in just by sheer pressure.   That oil is often called for virgin "first"  oil too, at least, if in olives.

Another method is by warm pressing, when you heat up the seeds.  Its very common method, its easier, the oil is usually cheaper.  And its usually of lower quality. Many vitamines are destroyed in the process...

So, if you see on the bottle cold pressed, or virgin, its almost always a sign of good quality.  Even if it costs a little more.

Otherwise look after  ecological or organic made oils - they are also almost always coldpressed.  Probably costs, but you dont need to take the very most costly and exclusive brands.
There are more costly, more exclusive brands, and there are cheaper, ecological brands.  At least, so it is in Sweden.
Sweden supporter tyvm your time and compassion will come back to you.

We do have virgin olive oil. Not only relearning about queens and kota im now understanding how oil is made. That is something i never investigated. Very well written too.

Ty

Kota has plenty of nipples and theres only two kittens of course they both favour the smallest one.. I noticed she often feeds one at a time and makes the other little one wait and i think i know why now. How considerate and smart.

Off i go soon treasure hunting to Walmart . I even bought kitty food for Kota shes not too fond of it so i mix it with her wet food. :))

4 mimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very grateful that stefan replied so quickly and to my amazement never was made to feel that my desire ti know something was annoying and the abundance support from many others did as well. And the knowledge or suggestions and brainstorming is amazing.

I am not threading cause i have nothing better to do i am 46 and lots of other things going on or always overwhelmed although i am at the moment :) I am the type of person that likes to have answers to every puzzle to keep my situation and all of us balanced better.

So thank you for making that happen and creating this website and especially volunteering your time

After a feeding