Help please. My cat's cone was too short and he damaged the neuter incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, now that i removed the cone won't he chew at the area again and possibly damage it

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, now that i removed the cone won't he chew at the area again and possibly damage it
Just leave it alone. It has healed a lot already.

As much as you are fussing over this cat, I would seriously advise bringing him indoors. The reasons you gave for how he just "wouldn't cooperate" are:

(1) Dashes out the front door at every opportunity. My cat does this his whole life as an indoor cat, where my front door is the hallway of an apartment building. (You can prevent this, BTW.)

(2) Meows loudly at the front door. My cat does this his whole life as he wants to explore the "outside."

(3) Stares out windows. Every single cat does this. In fact, giving indoor cats access to windows is enrichment and they love it. Some people call it "cat TV."

(4) And your assumption that you are providing him a rich, full life by allowing outside. You can provide an indoor cat a rich, full life. Even richer, actually, by not having him have to deal with all the stresses and challenges of living outside. And getting constant love and attention inside.

Seriously consider this. There will be an adjustment period, for sure. But your cat will live longer and have a healthier life. And with the amount of fussing you are doing over this one issue, I feel like you care about him a lot.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanking you SO MUCH for caring about your cat and getting him neutered, which is probably THE most important step you can take to keep him safer and healthier, and to not contribute to feline overpopulation. You are being personally responsible for him, which is wonderful.
Yes, if you are able, do keep him indoors-only. This website, YouTube (look up "Cat Daddy" Jackson Galaxy, host of Animal Planet's "MY CAT FROM HELL" and many videos; also author and co-author of several books on living well with cats) and many books, videos, etc. give good information on cat health, wellbeing, happiness and behavior. My cats have always been indoors-only. As long as they have windows to look out of, and stimuli such as I've written of in earlier posts, they can be very happy, and they will certainly be safe from cars, dogs, sick-minded people, insects, etc. It's so important to look out for the safety of those we love -- cats have always been family members, never "pets" in my family. My parents both loved cats and our beloved cat was 3 when I was born. They taught me how to be gentle, loving, respectful and caring of him and all cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a sweet cat that went missing last September so when I got this cat, i originally intended for him to be indoors. Also my last cat was not neutered so i DEFINITELY learnt my lesson and got this cat neutered as soon as I could. Anyways he then started dashing out the door and other things that i listed before. My parents kind of got sick of him and kept telling me to let him out, and they would sometimes just let him out. So i don't really have too much of a choice, but he is neutered so i am no longer worried of him roaming too far or getting into fights. My parents also refuse to buy a cat tree

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a sweet cat that went missing last September so when I got this cat, i originally intended for him to be indoors. Also my last cat was not neutered so i DEFINITELY learnt my lesson and got this cat neutered as soon as I could. Anyways he then started dashing out the door and other things that i listed before. My parents kind of got sick of him and kept telling me to let him out, and they would sometimes just let him out. So i don't really have too much of a choice, but he is neutered so i am no longer worried of him roaming too far or getting into fights. My parents also refuse to buy a cat tree
You are wonderful for loving and caring for him and for doing your best for him. I hope and pray your parents will take the time to actually get to know him. Cats are unconditionally loyal and loving, and they're the cleanest living beings on land. They are the closest to perfect of any living beings. People who claim not to love cats don't KNOW cats. Once they do, they will.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have missed in the thread that you were not totally "in charge" and living with your parents. Sorry about that.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a pet-friendly family, so sometimes I make assumptions that every family is.

I also recommend the Jackson Galaxy videos on YouTube that tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 recommended. They cover pretty much everything. Perhaps there's a chance you can educate your parents on why "just let the cat out" is an old-school idea. But I realize these situations don't have universal solutions/outcomes, and you may have to live with the status-quo.

Just think about it. Also, when I took in my cat, I used a chair with a cardboard box on it as a cat tree. There are plenty of ways to do cat enrichment on a budget.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true, cmshap cmshap -- I try to avoid posting negative content, but before my parents and I knew the reality of the dangers cats face outside, one of our beloved cats was murdered by coyote. A cat's life should NEVER be at risk. We learned our lesson at the cost of the life of someone we loved dearly and should have taken personal responsibility for protecting, but we were ignorant and did not know better. It only takes once. Later on, my ex would not let me bring two of our area "community kittens" indoors. Both of them were murdered by dogs. He learned HIS lesson at the cost of their lives. I forgive him much, but I will never forgive him this and he knows it.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true, cmshap cmshap -- I try to avoid posting negative content, but before my parents and I knew the reality of the dangers cats face outside, one of our beloved cats was murdered by coyote. A cat's life should NEVER be at risk. We learned our lesson at the cost of the life of someone we loved dearly and should have taken personal responsibility for protecting, but we were ignorant and did not know better. It only takes once. Later on, my ex would not let me bring two of our area "community kittens" indoors. Both of them were murdered by dogs. He learned HIS lesson at the cost of their lives. I forgive him much, but I will never forgive him this and he knows it.
Thanks for sharing those stories. If I were a "kid" (I honestly don't know how old the OP is, and I've lived with my parents for a time while in my 30s, and while I was doing so, called myself a "kid"... so no shame in it however old you are), I'd be trying to educate them about all the outside dangers.

But when you don't personally own or rent your home, I understand it's not totally up to you.

I hope these ideas inspire some thoughts that might change your scenario. But like tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 already said, you have already done a great thing by having him neutered.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've already said this, but I'll say it again... You can do ALL indoor cat enrichment on a minimal budget.

Chair, plus a box, or maybe a stack of pillows, put next to a window = cat tree.

You can make your own scratching posts... tons of guides online.

Cat Dancers are universally loved and super-cheap.

Don't underestimate the value of TP roll tubes. Save them! I cut them in half, toss them on the floor, and Willy bats them around. Plus, you can make food puzzles with them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crinkled balls of tin foil or paper are favorite toys of many cats. The Cat Dancer cmshap cmshap mentioned is available online through petco.com or just about any other "pet" supply venue, online or at stores. They are very affordable, durable, and loved by cats.
You've done the most important thing -- getting him neutered. The best food you can afford, fresh water daily, comfort, love, and safety are what he needs. You don't have to be rich to provide these. :cheerleader::goodluck::redheartpump::bicolorcat::redheartpump:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crinkled balls of tin foil or paper are favorite toys of many cats.
I agree with everything you said, except for this (the aluminum foil, I mean).

They can be fun for cats to play with, but some cats might ingest some of the foil, and that can cause intestinal blockage.

I use paper balls and my cat likes to catch and shred them (and I observe that he never eats any of it, but if he did, it would be much safer than aluminum foil).

I advise against using the foil.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything you said, except for this (the aluminum foil, I mean).

They can be fun for cats to play with, but some cats might ingest some of the foil, and that can cause intestinal blockage.

I use paper balls and my cat likes to catch and shred them (and I observe that he never eats any of it, but if he did, it would be much safer than aluminum foil).

I advise against using the foil.
Thanks for the suggestion, cmshap cmshap -- I thought of that, too, but included it thinking she would be supervising play and watching him to be sure he didn't eat it. Best to err on the side of caution. Paper gets my vote, too! :thanks::agree:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if your cat likes to chew on cardboard, save empty boxes. Watch your cat to make sure he isn't eating the cardboard (almost no cats actually do eat it), but if he seems to like to chew on a cardboard box, let him.

When I took my cat in initially, his "cat tree" was a cardboard box on top of a chair, and it tripled as a scratching post and "chewing post". Made a complete mess and I'd frequently replace the box, but he loved messing with it, while also sitting on it and gazing out the window.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if your cat likes to chew on cardboard, save empty boxes. Watch your cat to make sure he isn't eating the cardboard (almost no cats actually do eat it), but if he seems to like to chew on a cardboard box, let him.

When I took my cat in initially, his "cat tree" was a cardboard box on top of a chair, and it tripled as a scratching post and "chewing post". Made a complete mess and I'd frequently replace the box, but he loved messing with it, while also sitting on it and gazing out the window.
...BUT make sure the box materials are safe--no staples, and some boxes, such as banana boxes, may have insecticide on them. These boxes should not be released to the public, but I've gotten them in the past, for moving/storage. So be careful.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...BUT make sure the box materials are safe--no staples, and some boxes, such as banana boxes, may have insecticide on them. These boxes should not be released to the public, but I've gotten them in the past, for moving/storage. So be careful.
Good point. I only use Amazon and other such delivery boxes. I also strip the tape off of them before offering to my cat.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point. I only use Amazon and other such delivery boxes. I also strip the tape off of them before offering to my cat.
Sharing life with cats can be compared to having toddler kids--EVERYTHING has to be baby-or-cat-proofed. A good rule of thumb is if it wouldn't be safe for a toddler, it wouldn't be safe for a cat; plus, cats who do chew on things need to be kept away from cords and other potential dangers.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharing life with cats can be compared to having toddler kids--EVERYTHING has to be baby-or-cat-proofed. A good rule of thumb is if it wouldn't be safe for a toddler, it wouldn't be safe for a cat; plus, cats who do chew on things need to be kept away from cords and other potential dangers.
Yes. If you read articles on this, most of them recommend actually using child-proof hardware on cabinets, etc. I found this silly to purchase, initially, but I did take the sentiment to heart.

Rubber bands over conjoining kitchen cabinets was an easy fix.

Removing oven knobs when I'm not home was an easy fix.

Keeping doors closed to rooms with anything potentially harmful, when I'm not home, was an easy fix.

I don't worry about this anymore as my cat is 10 and I know his habits very well, but for a young cat these are all good ideas.