Help please. My cat's cone was too short and he damaged the neuter incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, i was soaking the area with water to try and clean the crispy hair on the side because the MicrocynAh hydrogel made the hair crispy. just as i was soaking the area i saw that that looked like there was another scab thing on the other, non damaged area. Kind of confused but not too concerned. It looks like it's gonna fall off too. Will attach a pic tmr. I will continue to keep his cone on until it falls off just go make sure he doesn't rip it off.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, i was soaking the area with water to try and clean the crispy hair on the side because the MicrocynAh hydrogel made the hair crispy. just as i was soaking the area i saw that that looked like there was another scab thing on the other, non damaged area. Kind of confused but not too concerned. It looks like it's gonna fall off too. Will attach a pic tmr. I will continue to keep his cone on until it falls off just go make sure he doesn't rip it off.
Just my way of doing things, but I keep things as simple and basic as possible in all aspects of life. Plain water to soak the area might be a good start; or possibly, just let it alone and let it heal naturally.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks fine and is healing well. Take the cone off and leave it alone. The more you mess with it the longer it will take to heal. It’s looking great. He just needs to be able to clean himself. That is why it smells Make sure all that spray is off before you take the off.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks fine and is healing well. Take the cone off and leave it alone. The more you mess with it the longer it will take to heal. It’s looking great. He just needs to be able to clean himself. That is why it smells Make sure all that spray is off before you take the off.
Ok do i just soak it with water to remove the spray

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just gently wipe the area with a slightly wet clean cloth. That should remove enough of the spray for it not to cause a problem when he licks it. Overall, with the incision healed and the cone removed, he should be a much happier kitty!!

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, i soaked it with water put some of the hair to the side so i could really see what was going on. This is what if looks like (i have circled it in the picture) . It seems as though there's still a small scab there so I'm not sure if i should remove the cone or not. Cause I let him lick it once, but then he suddenly started chewing on it so i stopped him immediately and put the cone back on. he's really rough with the grooming and i don't want him damaging it again.
IMG_20230410_154532.jpg
IMG_20230410_154156.jpg
IMG_20230410_154123.jpg

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also forgot to mention that the scab that i saw on the other side is no where to be found so i think it either fell off or was never there in the first place and what i saw was the crisped hair with MicrocynAh in it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Please leave it alone. And please keep him indoors only. Safe and healthy. It is dangerous to let cats outside, wherever you live. Please keep him in. With plenty of stimuli (good cat toys, scratching posts/pads, cat furniture and interactive play with you, windows to look out) he should be very happy indoors.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And please keep him indoors only. It is dangerous to let cats outside, wherever you live. Please keep him in.
How is he doing with being inside?
He'se's actually been going out this whole time. I'm surprised I'd forgotten to mention that earlier, i apologize. if he stays inside, he would've scratched the scab off, reopening the wound, just like he did 3 times prior. When he's outside, he gets distracted from the area and doesn't pick at it. He wears a breakaway collar with the cone so that if it gets caught on something it will be released. He's been an indoor-outdoor cat all his life so he will continue living that lifestyle as the outdoors is what makes his life rich and happy. I have tried raising him as an indoor cat when he was a baby kitten, but he just wouldn't cooperate. He would dash out the door every chance he got and meow and meow at the window and front door. He would also longingly gaze out the window so i eventually gave the indoor-outdoor cat lifestyle a try and it's worked amazingly. He loves to run in the garden chasing the bugs
and rolling in the grass. I appreciate your concern.

I will leave the cone on and check the area tomorrow. I'll remove the cone once I see that the scab has fallen off. And yes I will not put anything else on the area. Thank you!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'se's actually been going out this whole time. I'm surprised I'd forgotten to mention that earlier, i apologize. if he stays inside, he would've scratched the scab off, reopening the wound, just like he did 3 times prior. When he's outside, he gets distracted from the area and doesn't pick at it. He wears a breakaway collar with the cone so that if it gets caught on something it will be released. He's been an indoor-outdoor cat all his life so he will continue living that lifestyle as the outdoors is what makes his life rich and happy. I have tried raising him as an indoor cat when he was a baby kitten, but he just wouldn't cooperate. He would dash out the door every chance he got and meow and meow at the window and front door. He would also longingly gaze out the window so i eventually gave the indoor-outdoor cat lifestyle a try and it's worked amazingly. He loves to run in the garden chasing the bugs
and rolling in the grass. I appreciate your concern.

I will leave the cone on and check the area tomorrow. I'll remove the cone once I see that the scab has fallen off. And yes I will not put anything else on the area. Thank you!
If you own your home, you could build a catio. Or you could buy a modular one -- they have them for many budgets, in many styles. Or, if you have a fenced yard, you could install cat fencing. Look that up.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no idea in this thread that he was going outside with the cone on. Please take it off.

There are TONS of people and resources on this forum that can help you get him used to indoor life. It's not impossible. Please don't think that it is.