Help please! I found 4 kittens tonight!!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh things sound like they are going really well

nothing to add, just think you are wonderful for caring for the little ones and now you have also managed to get them homes
well done !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mala_marina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A short report:

kittens are walking and talking, sucking like crazy. Now we switched to 15ml each, every meal. We have 4-5 meals/day, depends of the situation. They are like little tanks without bottom, eating everything.

I couldn't make them poo, again, but i see some microscopic poo marks on the cloth underneath them. their bellies are quite normal, not swallen at all, they pee regulary, and also started peeing by themselves. It seems that they somehow manage to empty their bellies, and they don't want to tell me how.

A vet told me to try and grease their butts with cotton club. i did it yesterday, and it seems to help, judging by those poo marks on the cloth.
I am a bit puzzled how they manage to hide it from me, but someone told me perhaps they eat the poo (whew!).

Some yesterday's pics:

They are regular cutties now. Mom taught me how to fasten up feeding process. Last night we played with these little fur balls. They are gorgeus.

They are errecting their tails, and walking, not crawling. Every time they are faster and more secure on their little feet. I guess it will soon be time to let them feed on their own.

It will be hard to give them away.

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh they are little cuties, I love it when they start standing and trying to run on their wobbly little legs.

Bless them....they are beautiful and you are doing a wonderful job of taking care of these babies. x x x

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, aren't they the cutest little things! You are so wonderful to take these little ones in. Thanks for the photos - more please

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are gorgeous!
You truly are doing a wonderful job.

I would like to chime in on finding homes for them, though.
Please do not take this the wrong way. I do not know you're location, but... Please charge a small adoption fee. Even $25. People who are willing to pay a little bit of $$ for a pet are more likely to care for it. Also make sure they will all be spayed/neutered. You might consider contacting a rescue organization, see if they will help you place the kittens. That way, you could ensure they're fixed, etc.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mala_marina

I guess it will soon be time to let them feed on their own. (
I have to giggle on this one. For the life of me I couldn't get my last bottle feds to wean.
I had them so spoiled that they wanted me to continue to feed them. At 8 weeks we had to force the issue by giving them to a vet tech for a few days. We couldn't say no to their little demands and they wouldn't take no for an answer.

So beware. If you over spoil them, they won't want to eat on their own!!

mala_marina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, about finding home for them... I live in Serbia (most of your probably heard for this unfortunate country, '99, Slobodan Milosevic, Kosovo etc etc). Charging for a kitten would be impossible. But I am not giving any of these precious little fellows to strangers. Adopters are my close friends, and I am sure they will take good care of kitties.

So far I am happy with their progress. They are sucking like crazy, and they are not nervous or irritated, as I can see. I let them run around my bed. Can't let them crawl around on the floor, because of the bunny - I don't want to introduce them, since none of them had their vaccination yet - the bunny is about 5 months old, he's a youngster, too.

My only problem now is their loudness. They are crying really loud, and my family is a bit irritated. But that happens only when they're hungry.

So far we advanced to 17ml of formula each, every feeding, 4 times/day.
I guess they are a bit older than I assumed, since they are walking on their own and keeping their tails high. And they got used to a 5ml syringe. They empty it quickly, even without spilling. I guess they are almost 3 weeks old now.

I completed kittens' profiles, and here they are:

1. Tiger. Smallest one. Fighter. Explores and sees everything. Loudest. The gang leader. Likes knitting and paragliding.

2. Tiger Shadow. Tiger's double for action scenes. Vigorous. Quiet, but persistant. Enjoys solving sudoku and jogging.

3. Chubby Gray. Slow in game, but good as goalkeeper. Likes his coffee with 2 spoons of sugar, prefers blonds and motorcycling.

4. Little Gray. Little. Gray. The most handsome of the crew, part-time gigolo. Loves swimming in the sea and yoga.

When should we switch to solid food, and to which kind of it? Please have in mind that here we have a limited choice, only Royal Canin, Whiskas, and maybe few more commercialized brands.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can start offering food to them when there between 4-6 weeks old , some kittens will take to it at 4 weeks others wont untill 6 weeks. royal canin is a very good choice of kitten food , whiskers is ok as a treat type one but can sometimes upset there tummys.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't they a bunch of sweeties!!!!!!!!!!

What darling little faces!

You're doing a GREAT job with them...it's NOT easy caring for bottle babies! They certainly seem to be thriving. You will most likely want to wait until the kittens are between 10-12 weeks before re-homing. That way they have been well-socialized from each other, and have taught each other some manners and appropriate kitty-behaviors.

As far as weaning, if they are 3 weeks, you could start introducing some diluted solids to them by week 4 or 5. Take the KMR or formula, and mix in a couple of tablespoons of Royal Canin canned Baby Cat into it, to create a porridge, and set it out in a shallow dish. The most they may do with it at first is dip their paws in it, or play in it, but like any baby, it's a start. Once they figure out how to taste it and eat the mixture, you can gradually over a week or 2 begin reducing the formula, and increasing the canned kitten food, until they are switched over to the canned variety completely. By weeks 6 or 7, they may be ready to try crunching on a bit of dry kitten food...just mix about a tablespoon into their regular canned food, or you could just leave a little dish of it out at all times so they can explore it on their own. By weeks 4.5 to 5, they should be going potty on their own, so just leave a pan (a shallow foil lasagna pan should work) of litter nearby, so that you can begin setting them in their "litterbox" about 5-10 minutes after meal times, so they can learn to scratch and dig in it. Their natural instincts will soon kick in to begin going potty there, and burying their waste.

Good luck...you're doing great!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing so well! You're a natural
I just LOVED your descriptions of the kittens
They are all perfect
Thank you for all you are doing and for providing good homes.

timebound

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in the process of weaning my own little kittens. They didn't really want anything to do with solid food, so a friend told me to try using Gerber's lamb-flavored baby food (but only use Gerbers or Beechnut, because other brands have a certain ingredient in them that are bad for kitties). I mixed a little bit of the baby food in with their milk formula (I use KMR) very thoroughly so it was like a very thin milkshake. They drank it up eagerly. And at each meal, I've added a little bit more of the lamb-flavored food to each one. Now we are up to a thick, smooth milkshake consistency. Now they will nibble at the dry, solid kitten chow a bit, and eat a little bit.

The baby food has a strong smell, and that helps, I think. This is working great for my little ones, so I would recommend trying to use baby food mixed in with their milk formula. But again, if you do, be sure only to buy either Gerbers or Beechnut brands. If you can't find those, you'll definitely want to stick to wet kitten food.

timebound

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and to kind of add to what wookie130 said, by week four they definitely should be able to learn how to go to the liter box on their own. I use a paper-based kitty liter, so that way I don't have to be afraid of them eating the clay clumps in normal liter.

mala_marina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens started eating on their own.

I put their 'milk' in a shallow bowl yesterday, and they rolled into it, wetting themselves from nose to tail, but somehow realized it's eatable. First they started sucking on it, but after few tries they started licking.
I got them Friskies Junoir dry food (soaked it in milk over night), and this morning i only added more milk over it. It looks like they like it.

We are not using the syringe anymore, and every day we are becoming more and more independent kitties.

Now my only job is to clean their box, put some heaters in it (i use plastic bottles filled with hot water, wrapped in old socks), and of course, to dry kitties after meal. They all climb to my lap after eating, then we dry ourselves with towels and clothes, then play around a bit, and after that we fall asleep.

Now we walk on the floor. The bunny was sniffing around a bit, and I tried introducing them, but he's not very enthusiast about it. We'll try again, when kitties grow up a bit more.

Here are some yesterday's

Am i not cute? See, I've got the Look!! See? Do you see? Are you looking? Look at me....

I found something interesting there, i am not sure what is it, is it a bird, a plane, or the wall? I am not sure...

It's time for me to feed on my own. One day I will even learn to open it, just you wait...

Mommy? Milk? what? What? WHAT? what is that thing there?? I will call someone to help me solve the mystery...

Oh, brother, you silly cat, it's just the camera. It won't bite you. See how brave i am, coming towards it. Follow me...

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how cute!!! im so glad everything is going well , you have done a wonderfull job with these babys.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww those babies are so adorable

You are doing a marvelous job, when you think from your 1st post to where you are today - as said before you are certainly a natural
You have got something to feel really proud of

Well, give all those little cherubs a gentle tummy rub from us
and thanks for all the update & photos

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, they are so cute! Thank you so much for taking care of them.

This thread should help me, since I just got 4 little babies.

mala_marina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If we managed to come to this level, without any experience in raising cats whatsoever, and without any presence of their mommy, i'm sure you will succeed! Good luck!

just be patient, gentle but firm, and everything will be allright. Please send some pics of your kitties a.s.a.p.

greetz from this little zoo!

p.s. wet T-shirt competition pics arriving soon