Help needed with mom and babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten's eye may have been scratched, and then if bacteria got inside it could have become infected. You can get terramycin ointment for his eyes from the vet which will heal whatever has caused it. Just give your vet a call.

In the meantime, continue to gently wipe away the pus or mucus with a warm, damp cloth. Keeping the eye opened so that pus does not build up and cause blindness is very important. This will not heal any infection in the eye though. Only an antibiotic eye ointment such as terramycin will do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for your advice everyone. I cleaned it with warm water and it cleared and that was it . It never had any more goo or anything at all again. So I'm not sure what it was. I rang my vet and they said as long as it cleared and nothing more came he would be fine and not to bring him in.

My next question (sorry full of questions lol)
The kittens are now 4 weeks and 4 days old and ive been trying to introduce them to food. I gathered since they were prem and they have been doing everything later than normal they wouldn't be interested straight away at 4 weeks but ive been persisting every day with different things and they really have no interest to eat solids whatsoever. Ive tried soaking kitten biscuits in kmr abd goats milk to make them mushy. Ive tried kitten mush, kitten mush mixed with milk. And just plain kmr or goat milk to try lap . No interest . Are they just not ready?

Pictures because they are cute.

He was asleep hahaha [emoji]11014[/emoji][emoji]11014[/emoji]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens tend to wean better between 6 and 8 weeks. Please don't rush it, they will wean when they are ready. I have found that they wean best starting at 6 weeks, so you are on the early side. But of my last litter of four, two weaned early and two weaned late. Be patient - they will all get there!

Last edited:

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No thankyou! For some reason my vet said to start weaning at 4 weeks. No wonder they arent interested! I'll give it a week and try again :)

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update!
Kittens are 6 weeks old today and started solid food 3 days ago. They are doing well !
Huge milestone today! They use the litter box! Kitten 1 walked straight in and squatted and did a wee while I sat gobsmacked! Kitten 2 followed straight after and did a wee also and then kitten 3 jumped in and did a poo! Theyve never done this before today. I literally did nothing as I thought it was too early!kitten 3 had a little trouble doing his poo but im not sure if its because it's his first poo that mum didn't stimulate? Theyeah each done another wee in the litter box since and im so suprised.
Mumma is still feeding them however the last 2 days I have noticed a decreased in duration of her feeds.halfway through a normal feed she will stand up and walk away . Is this her weaning them? Isn't it early to wean ?

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update!
Kittens are 6 weeks old today and started solid food 3 days ago. They are doing well !
Huge milestone today! They use the litter box! Kitten 1 walked straight in and squatted and did a wee while I sat gobsmacked! Kitten 2 followed straight after and did a wee also and then kitten 3 jumped in and did a poo! Theyve never done this before today. I literally did nothing as I thought it was too early!kitten 3 had a little trouble doing his poo but im not sure if its because it's his first poo that mum didn't stimulate? Theyeah each done another wee in the litter box since and im so suprised.
Mumma is still feeding them however the last 2 days I have noticed a decreased in duration of her feeds.halfway through a normal feed she will stand up and walk away . Is this her weaning them? Isn't it early to wean ?
SArthur did say they wean between 6 and 8 weeks. Though I've never seen it myself it certainly sounds like weaning behavior to me. Also that is super cute lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's exactly what mama cats do when they begin weaning. By the way, it's time to get mom spayed now. I told you they would get there in time. Some of these vets are simply not experienced with young kittens.

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou :) it does seem like she is weaning them .
Mumma was spayed during her Caesarean :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, yes! Thank you. I forgot. Her hormones are less strong now that she's spayed, so she may be producing less milk as well. Is she still grooming the kittens and interacting with them?

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is. She is still licking them and cuddling with them. But not toileting them as they go in the litter box now. They are little adventurers now. And theyplay fight a lot! Forever having to check on them because they bite each other really hard when they play

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The play-fighting is part of the way they learn kitten manners. One nips at the other when the playing gets too rough!

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are all little terrors now! Getting everywhere! I spent all day yesterday kitten proofing my house and they have still found spots to get in to trouble [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Also all kittens have homes lined up for when they are 12 weeks :) all vet work for microchipping, vaccinations and neutering is all booked in and paid for by their new owners for when they go.
I will miss them all terribly. The thought of them leaving makes me very emotional. I feel like ive put so much time, effort(and money lol) into these guys and they won't be with me for much longer.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are adorable. You have been a great catmom and theyre lucky to have had you at the start of their life! How many weeks are they now?

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang, they are so cute!  There's just nothing cuter than an orange kitten . . . or, well, ANY kitten, for that matter.  What a great, responsible job you've done with them.

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww thankyou all. I love animals (particularly cats!) so much.
I just want them going to their homes knowing that I have done everything I possibly can to keep them safe and give them the best head start. If they weren't neutered and got anyone else's girl pregnant I would hate to know what would happen if something went wrong and those owners wouldnot spend the money like I have. Breaking the cycle I guess by doing this. As much as i love these little guys I do wish my little girl didn't have to go through all the issues she has.
Part of me thinks that said "friend" who didn't want her anymore was a blessing as I know for certain and she has told me she wouldn't have spent the money to help her if she had gotten pregnant in her care and had issues.

Any way I'm Rambling haha.
They are 6 weeks old now

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just weighed them this morning to double check how they are goingnow mumma is weaning them.
We have full ginger : 651 grams
Ginger and white: 629 grams
Black and white :610 grams.
The black and white has caught up so well. He was at least 100grams behind the bigger one at all times. But he now seems to be the biggest eater on the solids and it's clearly showing . When he started eating he gained 75 grams in 2 and a half days