Help needed with mom and babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fantastic news! Keep an eye on the black and white runt since you say mom is producing milk through two nipples only.

Weights at 250 grams (8 ounces) at just under 3 weeks is good considering the circumstances. The ideal is about one pound at 4 weeks. Hopefully they will come close!

So glad mom got milk and the kittens are doing well. You've done nicely by them yourself!

Keep us updated :).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across this thread today and read through all the older messages, holding my breath and hoping for the best, like it was happening live. 

You did such a wonderful thing saving that momma kitty's life, as well as her adorable kittens.  You were lucky to have the foster mom lady take them in for those first few weeks.  And now they're all back home for the new year.  

I will be watching this thread for continued updates and pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone :)
@sarthur2 yes I am keeping an eye on him. He seems to be holding his own better now . He does get pushed around a bit but when one of the others has finished hes straight in there to get some milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are so precious! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited:

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh those babies... they are so sweet! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Todays update:
Apparently our little Khan (full ginger) has decided to not only start trying to stand on his four legs and wobble but to try escaping his box. I found him just outside it and when I put him back in he tried again.
Do I kitten proof the box???

Last edited by a moderator:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to think about moving them once they start to do that! Can you borrow a cage? Or move them to a bathroom where they can explore safely.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
reading this warms my heart, and they look so amazing now. love the picture with the white and orange one, almost posing as if he's saying: 'I can lay like a big kitty!' keep up the good work. there's many people in this world who wouldnt have done the same.

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will see if I can make a deeper box or move them to my bathroom. I have them in my room as it easier and safer with my 2 kidlets running around.
Thankyou everyone.
They each have their own personalities. Its amazing. I sat watching them for an hour today and I'm so in love with them. Mum is such a doting girl. She is constantly licking and cleaning them and making small little noises to them. She puts her paw on their little bellies all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is trilling to her kittens. Trilling is a private language that mom cats use to communicate with their babies. It sounds like she's a great mom.

If the kittens are in your bedroom and you feel it is safe, they should be allowed to explore the room. My kittens lived solely in my bedroom for about 6 weeks, along with their mom. I put on a night light so I would not accidentally step on any of them if I needed to get up during the night.

They do reach a point where they will no longer stay in the nest, usually around the 3-week mark. It's important that they be allowed to explore safely.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ohgosh theyre so cuddly and fat! 
 I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm just so curious - are you keeping one of them and/or the momma?

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom is trilling to her kittens. Trilling is a private language that mom cats use to communicate with their babies. It sounds like she's a great mom.

If the kittens are in your bedroom and you feel it is safe, they should be allowed to explore the room. My kittens lived solely in my bedroom for about 6 weeks, along with their mom. I put on a night light so I would not accidentally step on any of them if I needed to get up during the night.

They do reach a point where they will no longer stay in the nest, usually around the 3-week mark. It's important that they be allowed to explore safely.
Trilling is exactly the word i would use! It's amazing.
We had a heatwave in my part of Australia yesterday ( 39 degrees celcius) with ridiculous humidity so I had the aircon on for her as I think she was Feeling it and getting hot and bothered. I have kitten proofed my room so I think they are all good to explore there :)
ohgosh theyre so cuddly and fat! :love:  I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm just so curious - are you keeping one of them and/or the momma?
I am keeping mumma as shes now my cat (ive spent over $1400 on her in 1month) [emoji]128514[/emoji]
I would love to keep a kitten but I just can't :( I technically have 4 cats already (all rescues that I couldn't part with after caring for them believe it or not haha). 2 are living with my parents though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome that you are keeping mom! You'll know as things go along if you want to keep a kitten. Otherwise, re-homing them in pairs is a great way to go, as having a littermate their own age seems to avert many problems. They need to stay with mom for 10-12 weeks though for socialization.

Wonderful that they can have the run of your bedroom in the meantime!

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I could. My mother wants one of them so if I can rehome the other 2 together that would be perfect.
Ive already decided thatI'll be keeping them for a minimum of 12 weeks anyway as I want them vaccinated and microchipped before they go to their new homes :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ideally, they should also be spayed and neutered before they go as well. Humane Societies perform them at low-cost. I had my 4 kittens spayed and neutered at my local Humane Society. There is usually a waiting list, so you may want to call about a month ahead. They do the shots and micro-chipping also.

You can easily ask for an adoption fee for the pair going together to help offset your expenses. Most folks are happy to pay a fee to adopt kittens who already have been vetted! If they refuse, then they should not become the new owner.

I'm glad to hear that you'll be keeping them a full 12 weeks, and re-homing two of them together. :)

Last edited:

tiger91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, so today the kittens are 4 weeks old. One of them woke this morning with gunk in his eye and could not open it. I managed to clear it with warm water and its stayed ok but why would his eye gunk up? They claw each other a lot at the nipple so im wondering if thats why?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have a minor eye infection and need some antibiotic ointment. Wiping it with warm water is always good, but never try to pull the eye open. If it gets funky again take him to the vet.