Help!! My neighbor is neglecting her kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The plot thickens.

Turns out, the neighbor girl told Big Sister. Big Sister is about 16 years old.

They both came over today, and demanded entry. I let them in only after making them promise to stay only five minutes, because I have a calculus final tomorrow. The younger girl had told the older about how Baby was at my house and wearing a red collar I put on her.

I had a talk with them and found out the following:
Little Sister and Big Sister have been away lately, visiting their aunt. Otherwise, I imagine, they would've come over to see about Baby.

They live with their stepfather, a man we'll call John. I've seen him; he's just as dirty as the rest of the family. (I don't blame the girls; they don't know any better; but the adults should.) They tell me that he doesn't like Baby Girl because, when she was a kitten, she did her business on his carpet. (Baby Girl's used the litter box perfectly while she's been here.)

So when I told them about Baby mewing outside the house, they said that it was probably because John doesn't like Baby, and didn't bother to let her in. (Mom was also home; I saw her.)

I also mentioned that I had found over a hundred fleas on Baby when she'd first come here; and that she was skinny, and had been left out in 90-degree heat. While they were gone, nobody had taken good care of Baby. (They don't take good care of her while the girls are home, either; but at least the girls let her in sometimes.)

I said that, if they moved away and left Baby behind, I would make sure she was never put on the street or in a shelter.

They left without taking Baby with them.

I'm expecting Big Sister to tell Mom, and the whole family at my door next...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No neighbors yet.

I'm still finding flea dirt on Baby; so, much as she hates it, she's getting a daily flea combing. Other than that, she's becoming much more comfortable and--I think--happier. She hardly "cries" at all now; she mews for attention, chirps hello, purrs, and unfortunately still hisses at Tiny--though that's calming down, as they get used to each other.

I bought a laser pointer; Tiny and Baby both love it. Tails lashing, pouncing, running, the whole nine yards... It even serves to distract Tiny when he's getting on Baby's nerves. Generally, Tiny has been getting the point that randomly pouncing on Baby is Not a Good Idea; and now that he's got the laser pointer to entertain him, it seems Baby isn't as attractive a target anymore.

Baby and Tiny both had their first catnip yesterday. They reacted in such similar ways that it was fun to see: rolling, rubbing their faces in it, purring, and then collapsing in a happy stupor. I shall have to schedule catnip into their days in the future; it really seems to help them relax.

I have bought a proper safety collar for Baby. It's red with little rhinestones on it... Tiny's is a plain red collar; they look like twins, with their identical coloring! Such cuteness... Though Tiny would rather be referred to as "handsome"; he's a very dignified creature, except when he's high on catnip! No dignity for Baby; she's all mew and purr and rolling over to have her stomach rubbed (yes, she lets me dow that!).

Baby has started not to want to go outside so much, too. And I've given her the idea that door-darting is Not Allowed. Usually when I leave and she goes for the door, I look her straight in the eye. Then if she still heads for the door, I hiss. She backs straight up. "Oops! Didn't mean to! Really!" I'm trying to give her the idea that the door is my territory, and she's not to touch it... So far, it's at least enough for me to get out the door myself, though I still have to put her in the bathroom if I want to pull my bike out.

Also: In the weeks I've had her, Baby has gotten out the door only once. Proof enough that it was the neighbors' carelessness and not her bad behavior that landed her outside so often.

Tiny and Baby are still separated while I'm away; but they're occupying the same house now. Still won't touch each other, though. (That's probably good, given Baby's possibly still having a flea or two hiding out.)