Help!! My neighbor is neglecting her kitty!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I would go and take the note off their door and keep the cat myself. I would have it checked at the vet, defleaed and dewormed and if not already fixed, I'd have her spayed too. Then I'd either make her part of my family or find another one that actually wants a sweet baby girl kitty.

I'm not above "animal knapping" if it comes to saving the life or improving the living conditions of a pet. I've actually done it and I feel no guilt about it at all. I feel I saved the life of the animal who otherwise would have either died of exposure, neglect or gotten run over by a car.
Well said!!!
I totally agree here!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was mewing outside my door again today. I took her in. No note this time.

Poor thing... I got her some food, she bolted it down like somebody was going to steal it...

I'm going to go buy a second litter box, and a LOT more kitten food.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should just keep this cat. The thing is, so far you have a lot of control over the situation because the neighbors are not interested in the cat.

But if you suddenly didn't see the cat, you wouldn't assume that the neighbors have suddenly become responsible- we will all be wondering whether they killed it or what sort of mistreatment is going on behind closed doors.

I think you need to take this opportunity while the disinterest is there, and just take the cat and count on the fact that they are moving and will not come looking for it. If they do come and ask you about the cat, it will be halfhearted. I have the impression that the mom is letting the cat hang around for the kids' sake and expects it will resolve itself when they move and leave the cat with you.

If you can't keep it, see if you can find a shelter who will take it. You will need to talk to them about what is happening and personally engage someone who will take it from there.

On the landlord thing you need to find someone else in your building who has cats and see if they have a clause in their lease. Many places "officially" don't allow pets but will let you keep them if you pay a higher deposit and otherwise threaten to move out. A

Yeah on the job and money thing, I've been in that spot too. It can be very scary. You will be ok. You've come this far, and you're doing fine, albeit it doesn't feel that way all the time, right?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

She was mewing outside my door again today. I took her in. No note this time.

Poor thing... I got her some food, she bolted it down like somebody was going to steal it...

I'm going to go buy a second litter box, and a LOT more kitten food.
Good for you!

I hope everything goes well for you!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you keep this poor baby please make sure you get her to the vet for a good check up and make a feline leukemia test , just to make sure you are not giving your kitten something bad .

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

She was out mewing again today. I SOO wanted to take her back with me... I think I'm just too much of a coward... But this time they opened the door and took her back in right away... She had fleas again, of course... (Tiny's not too pleased when she comes over; we call her "the Hooligan" because she's always the one to hiss at him the second she sees him, even when he approaches, nose first and tail up, in 'friendly greeting' mode.)

My landlord doesn't want pets, I have a cat anyway that I'm fostering because nobody wants to take him in; now there's this other cat that mews outside the door every night. I'm scared I'm going to be evicted, and Tiny with me; I live in Ohio, where there aren't hardly any animal-protecting laws at all. Last month I thought I was going to be homeless because I didn't have any money to pay for a place to live; and then finally I figured out I could get one by getting a credit card... Now I finally have a job and a place to live, except the job might not need me anymore, and I'll have to find another, and I don't have transportation so I have to pay $60 for a cab to go to the vet's because I can't drive, which is more than a day's pay for me... and Tiny still needs his shots, which are paid for because he's a foster, but I still have to get him there, and nobody closer would let me foster him so I have to take these crazy long cab rides, which Tiny hates anyway; and why can't I just keep him and to hell with the landlord?... I'm only 24!! I still feel like a kid--what am I doing trying to make these decisions for another living creature?

I'm sorry. I guess I'm just scared.
Where are you from?? Maybe someone on here would be willing to take you the vet and back?? We are a family and we might be able to help you out... I know I would if you lived close...

Thanks for taking the cat back.. I know it's a scary thing,, but 1 or 2,, they both are gonna eventually get along, and it's better to save then have it live its life horribly.. Plus your apt, will be temporary, you'll eventually find a good paying job, and excellent place that accepts pets... Just look at it that way..

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Callista, thank you for taking in the kitten.
As for the job and apt - life is full of cycles of highs and lows. I guess the lows make you appreciate the highs.
Years ago, my husband owned part of an oilfield company. He had an agreement to sell his part of it and would retire at that point (before age 30) - then the oilfield crash hit when the government closed one of the main banks doing oil related business. People lost their money, couldn't pay their bills (including the ones to us) and the domino effect cost us our company. No retirement, no company. Low point.
But the next job he took turned out to be with people who became our friends. Because of this job, we've been able to take trips to other countries and moved to other states.
Then his boss took a new partner - a name you would all recognize even if you aren't a football fan. The partners had a falling out and the old boss left. Mr Football guy told my husband how valuable he was to the company and how glad he was that my husband had stayed - then replaced my husband two months later with his own man. (Long story, but Karma is taking care of Mr Football guy)
The next job was with a guy who is second genration in the business. Although my husband started out as an assistant, and for less money, the opportunity was there for it to get better. His supervisor messed up last November and was laid off (not my husband's doing by any means), so now he is back to the title and salary from before - with a shorter drive, shorter hours and more staff. Much better deal.

It took years to get to the point where I could see that each bad time led to something much better. I actually didn't stress over the last one - and I am a worrier.
Do what you have to do to position yourself to get a better job if the current one does disappear. Employment agencies will help you get a resume together and work on interview skills. For most of the jobs, the hiring company picks up the fees.

Good luck and positive thoughts headed your way.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Xenia, Ohio. The clinic I take Tiny to is SICSA, in Dayton, Ohio.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor Tiny is freaked out at having another cat in his territory... Baby's freaked out because she's not at home and not outside, and this is new to her, and there's this big male half again her size... I'm freaked out because I don't wanna get kicked out of the apartment... on top of which I managed to sprain my ankle today, and if they won't let me sit down to work then I may not have a job!...

Yeah, we're all freaked out here.

I sure wish catnip worked on me. If it did, I'd be taking a deep sniff of the cats' stash.

Any idea on how to get Baby calmed down a bit?

She mews constantly, and it's either the plaintive-begging mew, or the get-away-from-me-or-I'll-claw-your-eyes-out mew. I'd be OK with a vocal cat, which she definitely is; but this constant crying is telling me she's Not Happy about this business. I imagine she learned to mew that way in order to defend herself and get food, and just kind of does it as a default now.

She's hissing at Tiny, too, whenever she sees him; and she doesn't like me much, ever since I flea-combed her. She gobbles her food as though she hasn't seen food in a month; and she's constantly in that crouched, scared posture. Sometimes, when she seems to have had enough, she rolls on the floor, flopping about like a fish... looks as though you'd given her caffeine. (No, they're not seizures. I can calm her down by touching her.)

I've got her in the bathroom for now, separated from Tiny, when I can't watch her, with a second litter box, scratcher, and set of dishes; and I've moved Tiny's things to the kitchen. (The changes aren't helping his nerves any, either.)

One small victory today: Baby went to sleep in the same room as me; and later on, when she darted out the door, I was able to call her back with some kitty treats. I guess she trusts me, a little.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stand strong,, the cats will adjust to each other.. It took a good week of hissing and few small fights, and they were over it.. The cats will figure out whose boss and be happy.. Don't stress to much over them... They'll get used to each other.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched Baby to the house and Tiny to the bathroom, so Baby would have some company today. Tiny's used to being in the bathroom while I'm at work; he usually sleeps. They really needed a break from each other after yesterday: Tiny wanted to play, and pounced on her; then she hissed and swatted at him. (Glad I clipped her nails. She could've hurt him.) So from now on, time together is supervised and short, and one of them goes back in the bathroom if there's hissing.

Baby is really calming down today. She's been lying on my bed (of course--it's soft!) and gazing at me. I started a policy of "no petting unless she starts it", and apparently that's been giving her a bit of confidence, because she knows she won't be manhandled. Likely she's had to endure a bit of that from the girls, who honestly don't know how to handle a cat (I saw one of the girls carrying her with an arm around her middle, feet dangling in midair... poor thing.) And she has 'started it' a couple of times--I extend my fingers for her to sniff; she headbutts my hand; I scratch her head... No body petting yet, that seems to make her tail twitch. Probably reminds her of the trauma of her thorough flea-combing.

Also, I've been hearing more than just the "please-please-feed-me" and "back-off-or-I'll-scratch-you" sounds from Baby. She's a vocal cat, but I had been troubled because all her sounds seemed defensive... but now I'm hearing a "what are you doing?" mew, and a "Hello" chirp. She's less vocal now that she seems more comfortable--I think the constant crying was more of a defense mechanism than communication. But she's communicating more--tail, posture, whiskers, and sound--than she was while she was in constant mew-mode.

Her posture is more relaxed, too--lying down on her side, rather than crouching. And she played today--chasing a crumpled coffee filter I messed up on putting in the coffee maker, and threw for her. I haven't seen her do that before at all--too nervous to play, even when I dangled something enticingly in front of her. So that's good.

I've been home all day for two days, except to go to the urgent care clinic for my foot (which is feeling better today--sleep does wonders). Neighbors still haven't said anything. If they don't come to ask about Baby before they move, then I'll know they don't want her back. But if they do... Poor girl... I haven't got a legal leg to stand on, and she'll have to go back. Cross your fingers and hope that doesn't happen. (I can't keep her even if they do move and leave her--I'll have to take her to SICSA along with Tiny. I imagine they will allow me to foster her, too.)

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would first call the humane society in your area or animal control which ever is in your area then i would tell them what is going on and if they decide that this owner can not keep this cat the you should offer to keep him so he doesn't have to go to the pound but make sure you do this all legally

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They wouldn't decide that.

Think about it:

The cat is young and healthy. She lives mostly outdoors. Yeah, she has (had, now) fleas; but lots of cats have fleas. She's thin, but not malnourished, evidenced by her energy level, which is high. And she's a horrible door-darter, so my neighbors can easily make a case it's not their fault she gets out. And because she's supposed to be an indoor cat that "gets out", their not feeding her outside "makes sense".

The humane society isn't going to say anything about that kind of treatment. In Ohio, people don't lose their pets unless they're actually torturing them.

On top of that, if I make waves, all my neighbors have to do is tell my landlord I have pets, and I'm out.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clearly this family has no interest in this poor little kitten - I wouldn't bother with them any longer. Call animal control or take the little one in yourself, without another word to them. But! Before you do, take photos of the kitty, and make a log of what's been happening to her (as proof, should they say there's no reaso n to take the cat) Good luck with her, I'm glad she's found someone who cares about her.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to mention her to the neighbors. They may know she's with me, since she cries so much. Less than she does outside; but she does cry...

In any event, my plan now is to wait until they move away, then tell SICSA that my neighbors moved away and left her. They should let me foster her, along with Tiny.

I'm still picking fleas off her. Poor baby. I flea-combed her so thoroughly when I had her last time; but apparently her house is so infested that spending less than a day in the house (before she was let out again) left her with, so far, fifteen fleas I've found and picked off her with the flea comb.

Baby seems happier. She doesn't cry as much as she used to; now she chirps and mews, and I've felt her throat vibrating with a very soft purr. She also tolerates Tiny's presence, though they don't interact much yet. She lets me pet her head, and sometimes doesn't even "warn" me with a growly mew when I pick her up. (I wouldn't pick her up if I didn't have to--but sometimes I have to.)

She plays... she loves paper wads, just like Tiny. When she sleeps, she doesn't curl herself into a corner anymore. She's still gulping her food, and any appearance of the kitty treat container has her mewing as though she's starved. But she's eating well, and using the litter box competently. She lies out in the center of the room now, on her side, belly showing a little, instead of crouched into a wary bundle.

All in all, I think Baby's feeling more comfortable every day.

Somebody send "Nobody come for this cat!!" vibes, please...

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds great.. Baby is starting to get familiar.. Time will always do the trick...

My girls are pigs,, they act like they never get fed either.. Chessy literally screams with meows when I have treats or wet food.. The piggy pie,, she eats way more then Angel.. I don't get how 9 lbs animals can eat soo much..
It's probably in Baby's nature to eat and eat, since she was so used to not eating,, that or she's just a pig like my Chessy...

lots of vibes they don't come get her....

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still no neighbors. Baby and Tiny are having hissing-and-spitting contests, but they haven't hurt each other, and are spending more time in the house together. They have separate feeding stations and litter boxes.

Tiny has taken to "guarding" Baby: She sits on a chair; he sits on the floor and looks up at her. Naturally she doesn't like this and starts growling... Enter another hiss-and-spit match. Tiny has also tried to play with her--pouncing on her as he does with me--and gotten hissing-and-spitting for his trouble. I think he's learned his lesson with that one. I'm using the same strategy now--when he pounces on me, I hiss at him! He seems to be getting it; he's pouncing less on me and more on his toys.

Tiny's SO socially clueless sometimes, really! (Like me. Heh.)

I think I may finally have gotten rid of Baby Girl's last few fleas (*fingercross*). I found at least 30 more the second time--that makes a total of about 100 fleas on one cat!!

Poor baby--I'm really surprised she wasn't severely anemic. I feel sorry for the girls that have to live in such a flea-infested environment, not to mention the two other cats (who never go out) and little Peanut-dog...

When Baby hears the neighbors outside, she goes to the window and mews... I find it so sad, like a foster child begging to go back to abusive parents. I have taken to putting her in the bathroom when the neighbors are outside, though I would not be surprised if they had already seen her at my window, and simply haven't said anything.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am BOILING WITH RAGE.

Yes, Baby is still at my house. However, the neighbors definitely know now that I have her.

I was out putting my trash on the curb today. The neighbor's little girl came out, chasing after Peanut, their little chihuahua/Jack Russel mix. Peanut is a 4 year old dog with a lot of energy; and their mother calls Peanut her "baby"--peanut is her favorite animal of all.

I looked at Peanut today and saw that she had huge bald patches all over her fur. I called over to the girl, "Hey, what happened to Peanut? Did somebody shave her?"

"Nope," the girl replied. "She's just got fleas really bad, and she's been scratching, so she hasn't got any fur right now."

I cannot believe they just let this poor little dog scratch herself bare, rather than doing anything about the fleas--which, I know, are all over the house; but honestly, that is just no way for a dog to live, let alone two girls! (This girl has been known to be mistaken or exaggerating before. So it could have been shaving, in an attempt to get rid of fleas. If so, it was an unenlightened attempt at flea control, since fleas will happily bite bare skin and live in carpet. And, anyway, most of the fur was still there.)

The neighbor's girl at this point looked at my door, where door-darting Baby Girl was standing at the door and mewing. "Which cat is this?" she asked, and I replied that it was Baby. (Tiny and Baby look very much alike. I can easily tell them apart, but this girl is eight years old.) The girl followed me inside and picked up Baby, as usual letting her hind end dangle, until Baby started to squirm. I took Baby from her and told her I really, really had to do things, and that she should go home. This she did--leaving Baby behind.

I should count my blessings. She didn't insist on taking Baby "home". But to see that poor dog!--and the girl, dirty and unkempt, her ankles covered in flea bites--I can't believe people treat the innocent that way.

Now to see whether the girl will tell her mom.

I'm scared for Baby, and for me, too, honestly. If her mom comes over here and demands that I return Baby Girl... WHAT DO I DO?!!