HELP ME! Kitten climbing onto my bed all night

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many countries don't use window screens. We never had them in England.
Our cats do not sleep with us. Honestly, I have no clue how you will prevent her from getting on the bed. Cats love beds.
We don't practice using screens in Malaysia too. Almost every household here never use screens unless they have a really bad mosquito problem.

My kitty loves my bed and I do want her on it - but she scratches us and attacks my pillows too. Which is why I rather not have her on the bed to avoid accidents altogether that would make us both unhappy. Sigh.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is that you've created the problem by letting her sleep in your bedroom. You are now expecting the impossible from her. It's just not going to happen. Is there no way she can stay in a bathroom overnight? I wish you had thought this through beforehand.

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem is that you've created the problem by letting her sleep in your bedroom. You are now expecting the impossible from her. It's just not going to happen. Is there no way she can stay in a bathroom overnight? I wish you had thought this through beforehand.
It's not that I want to create this issue intentionally. My rescuer friend was in a bind when the pregnant momma cat ran away and she has 12 or more cats and dogs to tend to. I decided to take in the kitty so that she doesn't have to live in a small wire cage, and made the best with my current living conditions.

All I'm asking is for people with similar situations - like maybe they live in lofts or one room apartments where cats have all access - for advice. Instead I'm mostly getting screening advice & this sort of reprimanding. I'm a first time cat owner and I'm under the impression this forum was to help with possible solutions.

2211nighthawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my boys were that way. I freeze at night so kitten teeth cant get through my heavy fleece blanket and my llama wool blanket. Beastly huge thing. Honestly, when either of them attacked my feet i would kick them from under the blankets. Never hurt them but it was enough for them to get the idea soon that toe chewing wasn't allowed. The other was i just stopped moving. Then they didn't have anything to jump on. Then they went for my head, my older one would sleep across my throat until i couldn't breathe and I'd shove him off and my youngest (STILL) walks right across my face and sits on it. Eventually Whiskey, my older, grew out of the foot chewing thing and so is my younger, Badger, slowly but surely. Badger i also got young (two two and a half months i think) and he's learning to play nice. What i did with him to teach him to play nice was if he got a little to rough, I'd shove him (in a way showing him i can be rough to) and then refuse to play with him for a bit. He's much better now.

I would never keep my cats off my bed because my WORD that is nice in winter. Nice furry vibrating (and some times acupuncture) neck warmers. And then both of them up by my ears, wonderful. Can't hear anything but them purring.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not that I want to create this issue intentionally. My rescuer friend was in a bind when the pregnant momma cat ran away and she has 12 or more cats and dogs to tend to. I decided to take in the kitty so that she doesn't have to live in a small wire cage, and made the best with my current living conditions.

All I'm asking is for people with similar situations - like maybe they live in lofts or one room apartments where cats have all access - for advice. Instead I'm mostly getting screening advice & this sort of reprimanding. I'm a first time cat owner and I'm under the impression this forum was to help with possible solutions.
I think it's unfair of you to say you are being reprimanded when we have tried to help you with this all day.

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both my boys were that way. I freeze at night so kitten teeth cant get through my heavy fleece blanket and my llama wool blanket. Beastly huge thing. Honestly, when either of them attacked my feet i would kick them from under the blankets. Never hurt them but it was enough for them to get the idea soon that toe chewing wasn't allowed. The other was i just stopped moving. Then they didn't have anything to jump on. Then they went for my head, my older one would sleep across my throat until i couldn't breathe and I'd shove him off and my youngest (STILL) walks right across my face and sits on it. Eventually Whiskey, my older, grew out of the foot chewing thing and so is my younger, Badger, slowly but surely. Badger i also got young (two two and a half months i think) and he's learning to play nice. What i did with him to teach him to play nice was if he got a little to rough, I'd shove him (in a way showing him i can be rough to) and then refuse to play with him for a bit. He's much better now.
I would never keep my cats off my bed because my WORD that is nice in winter. Nice furry vibrating (and some times acupuncture) neck warmers. And then both of them up by my ears, wonderful. Can't hear anything but them purring.
Omg I did that sort of kick thing too when she pounces on my feet but of course it excited her more than it taught her anything. It's nice to have a kitty for winter, but it's summer here all year round. Maybe it takes a lot of ignoring and time for her to get the message. Will try that, thanks!

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's unfair of you to say you are being reprimanded when we have tried to help you with this all day.
Okay maybe reprimanded is too strong a word. But I don't appreciate you saying that I created this problem for myself when all I did was take her in despite not knowing much about cat ownership. And I had given it weeks of thinking through and reading before I got her.

Everyone else has definitely been helpful, I've gotten a few good tips that I'm trying out.

2211nighthawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EVERY cat owner has made mistakes and you learn that's the biggest thing. Lucky for me, I've grown up around cats so I've never really had a 'new cat owner' phase. Somethings can be taught, some can't and some they will outgrow.I used to keep my cats off the counters until i moved to my new place that has a freaking window right above the sink. Guess their favorite spot now? I gave up on keeping them off the counters... And like i said, Whiskey outgrew the feet thing after getting a socked foot in the teeth a couple times. Heck, if he got me through the sheet, or worse, bare foot, he went flying. He learned. :) Patience is the biggest thing. I wanted a kitten because... well, long story short, I'm a suck. anyways, i just keep repeating that they will grow out of it. Six months Badger is sleeping though the night and a year old they are WAY calmer then three  months.

The screen thing i will admit is a little odd that you don't use them but then again i HATE spiders and mosquitoes are freaking insane and the flies drive my cats wild. And my cat did pop out a screen so i NEVER have the windows open enough anyways so a screen is more to keep the bugs out then the cats in. And the other cats out...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People are just want her to be safe. 

When my 2 were babies they could get out of rooms in our old house by squeezing under the doors!  The first morning after we brought them home DH and I woke up to hearing them in the living room checking out our fish tank!  They'd also climb double stacked and ANGLED baby gates!!  So we bought a large wire dog crate.  It was big enough to hold a small litter box, bed, water, etc.  Since they were together; we didn't really have to deal with a lonely kitten and they entertained each other.  Your kitten might appreciate a stuffed animal or something like that to cuddle with and wrestle some of her kitten energy and hunting practice on.  They've never slept with us because DH is allergic. My childhood cats all did though.

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

EVERY cat owner has made mistakes and you learn that's the biggest thing. Lucky for me, I've grown up around cats so I've never really had a 'new cat owner' phase. Somethings can be taught, some can't and some they will outgrow.I used to keep my cats off the counters until i moved to my new place that has a freaking window right above the sink. Guess their favorite spot now? I gave up on keeping them off the counters... And like i said, Whiskey outgrew the feet thing after getting a socked foot in the teeth a couple times. Heck, if he got me through the sheet, or worse, bare foot, he went flying. He learned. :) Patience is the biggest thing. I wanted a kitten because... well, long story short, I'm a suck. anyways, i just keep repeating that they will grow out of it. Six months Badger is sleeping though the night and a year old they are WAY calmer then three  months.

The screen thing i will admit is a little odd that you don't use them but then again i HATE spiders and mosquitoes are freaking insane and the flies drive my cats wild. And my cat did pop out a screen so i NEVER have the windows open enough anyways so a screen is more to keep the bugs out then the cats in. And the other cats out...
Oh I really hope she would grow out of it! That means at least a few more months of interrupted sleep for me. 

Oh we burn incense outside our home so we don't have much bug issues. Also, Malaysia is a tropical country so our air conditioning is on all the time – so windows don't usually stay open unless we turn them off (which is not often). Thanks for reassuring me it would be something they would grow out of – I'll repeat that everyday haha!

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When my 2 were babies they could get out of rooms in our old house by squeezing under the doors!  The first morning after we brought them home DH and I woke up to hearing them in the living room checking out our fish tank!  They'd also climb double stacked and ANGLED baby gates!!  So we bought a large wire dog crate.  It was big enough to hold a small litter box, bed, water, etc.  Since they were together; we didn't really have to deal with a lonely kitten and they entertained each other.  Your kitten might appreciate a stuffed animal or something like that to cuddle with and wrestle some of her kitten energy and hunting practice on.  They've never slept with us because DH is allergic. My childhood cats all did though.
I like the soft toy option! I'd go and get her one today. Thanks!

Your kitties sound like a handful but you definitely handled it very well. :)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

First, congratulations on adopting Reiko!  
 He's a beautiful little kitten and once he learns a few lessons, he's going to bring you a lot of happiness.
 And bless you for rescuing him!

I can sympathize with your problem - I've had cats who wouldn't let me sleep before and it's pretty awful.   Sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture for a reason.   A large wire dog crate like that suggested above might be a good solution for you.   It will take awhile for Reiko to learn that's his place at night so you'll have a few dreadful nights in store, but eventually he'll get the message.  It might help if you got him yet another really nice bed - maybe one that's heated.  You might also put a food maze in there.  That should keep him entertained as he works to extract each bit of kibble.  This is the one I have:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/catit-design-senses-treat-maze  

Leave the door open during the day and he might even go in there by choice, if you make it inviting enough.   Of course, you could create a wonderful cosy haven and he still might prefer a shoebox in the closet - cats are funny like that!

Good luck! And welcome to TCS!  This site is really a tremendous resource - be sure to check out the articles and search the threads as things come up.  You're almost sure to find answers and ideas to help you! 

Last edited:

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

First, congratulations on adopting Reiko!  
 He's a beautiful little kitten and once he learns a few lessons, he's going to bring you a lot of happiness.
 And bless you for rescuing him!

I can sympathize with your problem - I've had cats who wouldn't let me sleep before and it's pretty awful.   Sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture for a reason.   A large wire dog crate like that suggested above might be a good solution for you.   It will take awhile for Reiko to learn that's his place at night so you'll have a few dreadful nights in store, but eventually he'll get the message.  It might help if you got him yet another really nice bed - maybe one that's heated.  You might also put a food maze in there.  That should keep him entertained as he works to extract each bit of kibble.  This is the one I have:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/catit-design-senses-treat-maze  

Leave the door open during the day and he might even go in there by choice, if you make it inviting enough.   Of course, you could create a wonderful cosy haven and he still might prefer a shoebox in the closet - cats are funny like that!

Good luck! And welcome to TCS!  This site is really a tremendous resource - be sure to check out the articles and search the threads as things come up.  You're almost sure to find answers and ideas to help you! 

Thank you for the advice! I might need to consider that option since she's been quite a handful and it would be great to get some sleep. Will look into the food maze as well, it's an interesting idea. :)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
One kitten I had in the past who did this, I would blow in her face when she was bothering my face at night. It worked for her, but I can also see it stimulating a kitten and making them want to play with your face more; but worth a try!
I think having her in a dog crate at night would be good, big enough to have the litterbox in it also.
And she will outgrow it, my daughter's kitten does this, but it has greatly decreased in the 6 months she's had him. She will put her head under the pillow to sleep when he jumps on head.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be as bad a human babies when it comes to keeping you awake! But be reassured that it will end. All the cats I have ever had have learned that night time is for sleeping and they stay quiet (though often on the bed)!) How much stimulation does she get during the day? I guess if you are both out then she will often spend the day asleep and is ready to play at night. If there is any way to keep her awake more during the day, with moving toys, TV even (if you have it in your room) or people you trust going in to play with her, that might help to tire her a bit. But kittens do have a lot of energy, and she does need interaction with you as her adopted mom, so you will have to give in a bit. The good news is that as she grows she will copy you and learn that beds are for sleeping in and the night time is for quiet! Certainly a large soft furry toy that she can really snuggle into can help a lot.

I know how it is abut the screens - it is particularly an American thing and when I lived there I used to think they were crazy, not being able to open windows and lean out. Now, living in France, where no-one has screens, I am considered the crazy one as I had screens made for all my openable windows to keep the cats in! But that is also considered crazy here where almost all cats go outside. To each his own craziness, I guess.

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be as bad a human babies when it comes to keeping you awake! But be reassured that it will end. All the cats I have ever had have learned that night time is for sleeping and they stay quiet (though often on the bed)!) How much stimulation does she get during the day? I guess if you are both out then she will often spend the day asleep and is ready to play at night. If there is any way to keep her awake more during the day, with moving toys, TV even (if you have it in your room) or people you trust going in to play with her, that might help to tire her a bit. But kittens do have a lot of energy, and she does need interaction with you as her adopted mom, so you will have to give in a bit. The good news is that as she grows she will copy you and learn that beds are for sleeping in and the night time is for quiet! Certainly a large soft furry toy that she can really snuggle into can help a lot.

I know how it is abut the screens - it is particularly an American thing and when I lived there I used to think they were crazy, not being able to open windows and lean out. Now, living in France, where no-one has screens, I am considered the crazy one as I had screens made for all my openable windows to keep the cats in! But that is also considered crazy here where almost all cats go outside. To each his own craziness, I guess.
Thanks for the reassurance Jenny! She gets 4 play sessions (about 30 mins each) throughout the day as I work from home. She's getting a little better since I got the advice about using a large cage. She's only been caged once for jumping and biting me at 3am, but since then she's sort of learned and only disturb me every alternate night - but she's picking up fast, she's not disturbed me much except at 9am (which is ok). I hope I can get rid of that cage soon!

Oh yeah I'm so glad someone understands about the screen thing. It's just really weird to do it here, and not many people offer screening services (which means it can get expensive) - but as I've also explained, it's not my house so I can't really authorise to get all the windows in the house screened.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's crazy to have window screens in America until the first time a bat flies in at night!

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dang, you have never experienced the Blitz of the Mosquitos?

You
are
lucky
or
ironclad
We don't have a mosquito problem actually. My neighbourhood has monthly mosquito fogging sessions and we have natural citronella plants surrounding the house which keeps most bugs away. :)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's crazy to have window screens in America until the first time a bat flies in at night!

Dang, you have never experienced the Blitz of the Mosquitos?

You
are
lucky
or
ironclad

We don't have a mosquito problem either - if you go down to the river, maybe, but not anywhere else. And when I first moved in here (before I had my screens put up to stop the cats getting out) I did find a bat one day in my bedroom, sleeping hanging from the light fitting! I was quite flattered. But I kept the door shut and the window open and he flew out at dusk.