HELP ME! Kitten climbing onto my bed all night

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 5 month kittens and they both grew out of this stage a few weeks ago. Until then, try not to move your feet haha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two 5 month kittens and they both grew out of this stage a few weeks ago. Until then, try not to move your feet haha
Mine's only about 3 months so I've got a loooong road ahead of me.. [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have a mosquito problem either - if you go down to the river, maybe, but not anywhere else. And when I first moved in here (before I had my screens put up to stop the cats getting out) I did find a bat one day in my bedroom, sleeping hanging from the light fitting! I was quite flattered. But I kept the door shut and the window open and he flew out at dusk.
Ugh, if not for the screens our house would be full of bats. They terrify me more than any else.

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A large wire dog crate like that suggested above might be a good solution for you.   It will take awhile for Reiko to learn that's his place at night so you'll have a few dreadful nights in store, but eventually he'll get the message.  It might help if you got him yet another really nice bed - maybe one that's heated.  

Leave the door open during the day and he might even go in there by choice, if you make it inviting enough.   Of course, you could create a wonderful cosy haven and he still might prefer a shoebox in the closet - cats are funny like that!

Good luck! And welcome to TCS!  This site is really a tremendous resource - be sure to check out the articles and search the threads as things come up.  You're almost sure to find answers and ideas to help you! :catguy:  
UPDATE: Thanks for the advice margd margd and @MoochNNoodles

After weeks of using the crate, Reiko has been behaving better and she's even walked into her crate for bedtime. We keep the crate closed at night for now but she seems very comfortable so it's been good because she has not been noisy (or maybe cos we are deep sleepers)

That said, I sleep better and I hope some other cat parent will find this thread useful!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update.  I'm so glad to hear that Reiko is learning some manners and that you are able to sleep.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but just to add my $0.02, there's really no way to prevent a kitten from climbing onto your bed, attacking your feet, walking on your face, rocketing across the room, or anything else...'cause those are classic kitten behaviors, and they just come with the whole package, including the cuteness and the fun and companionship.

Aside from getting a large crate or locking the kitten out (which I really, really don't recommend), the only other thing you can do is tuck your feet under a heavy comforter, and ignore the kitten at night. That's pretty much the Jackson Galaxy strategy too, as I remember reading it. And yeah, it's gonna take time, and you have to be 100% consistent and not give in to the impulse to respond to the kitten at night when he wakes you up and uses your head as a treadmill, and you are gonna lose sleep...but it's the only way the kitten will learn that night time is sleep time.

But if you're really, truly consistent, it will eventually click. The kitten will also begin to adjust to your schedule.

Good luck.

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but just to add my $0.02, there's really no way to prevent a kitten from climbing onto your bed, attacking your feet, walking on your face, rocketing across the room, or anything else...'cause those are classic kitten behaviors, and they just come with the whole package, including the cuteness and the fun and companionship.

Aside from getting a large crate or locking the kitten out (which I really, really don't recommend), the only other thing you can do is tuck your feet under a heavy comforter, and ignore the kitten at night. That's pretty much the Jackson Galaxy strategy too, as I remember reading it. And yeah, it's gonna take time, and you have to be 100% consistent and not give in to the impulse to respond to the kitten at night when he wakes you up and uses your head as a treadmill, and you are gonna lose sleep...but it's the only way the kitten will learn that night time is sleep time.

But if you're really, truly consistent, it will eventually click. The kitten will also begin to adjust to your schedule.

Good luck.
Thanks! I totally get that it's something I can't change (after everyone's replies) so she is allowed on the bed, just not at night when we can't keep an eye on her.

I have to disagree with your disagreement with the large crate. The crate is working wonders, she has chosen to nap there. And when it's midnight (the time after her play session and large meal) she makes biscuits on the blanket and settle down to sleep. All I need to do is turn off the lights and slide the cage latch shut. No drama whatsoever and we all get a good night's sleep.

As much as I agree with the heavy blanket, when I'm asleep and I'm woken up by anything - it's hard for me to think 'ignore the kitty' when I'm half asleep, and I think it's the case for most people. I've accidentally kicked and swiped her a few times before (can't help it, this is why they say don't attack a sleeping person) so really, the crate is for everyone's safety.

Last edited: