Help! Kitty with intestinal lymphoma won't eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Annnd we're done! First round of home sub q's is over and I couldn't have asked for a better kitty! I think he actually liked it :)
On a side note- I think I know what I want to do with my life when this is all over. I think I'm going to go to school and be a vet tech, Or something like that. Helping Krash has been educational, interesting & scary, but fulfilling. I would love to help other animals.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krash is doing ok. Thank you for asking! He's not great, but he's not too bad. I guess you could say this is his new "normal." He did ask to go outside on the balcony yesterday. He used to live out there constantly, but hardly shows any interest in it now. I use that as an indicator of how he feels. That and the cuddling. He's been super cuddly yesterday and today. So I'm not complaining

It is weird about the noise in his side. It's only one tiny little spot too. He has an oncologist appt tomorrow, so I'll be asking her what it might be.
I haven't given him the fluids yet. As soon as my husband finishes what he's doing, we're gonna give it a go. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty nervous. But I'm also confident I can do it. He's a good kitty for me, and I'm sure that'll help make it easier.
He's barely fighting me at all now when I give his pred to him in a syringe. I think he might actually like the flavor of the chicken broth. Or at the very least he's gotten used to it.
 Sounds like Krash is enjoying what he can when he can.  

Annnd we're done! First round of home sub q's is over and I couldn't have asked for a better kitty! I think he actually liked it

On a side note- I think I know what I want to do with my life when this is all over. I think I'm going to go to school and be a vet tech, Or something like that. Helping Krash has been educational, interesting & scary, but fulfilling. I would love to help other animals.
I'm glad to hear it went so well! 
  I actually thought the same thing because of what I have been going through with Sebastian. I looked into becoming a vet tech and read all the course requirements. I have no doubt in my mind that I would be good at it and pass with flying colors, but it would actually require a good deal of time and effort from me, which I don't really have right now. When I'm not at my current full-time job, most of my time at home is spent caring for my cats and trying desperately to get some sleep. I would say, if you have the time and funds, go for it. 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that you and Krash have been enjoying lots of cuddles together :) I've been thinking of you two today. Hopefully the fluids will help him feel even better.
I've never heard of anything like the crinkly sound... interested to hear what the doc thinks.

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm relieved it went so well.
I don't really have the funds to go back to school right now either after all this with Krash. I do work full time, but my schedule is pretty set, so I could probably work in the time. I just don't know if I could tear myself away from him long enough to attend classes! It's definitely something I'm looking into later on though.

Glad to hear that you and Krash have been enjoying lots of cuddles together :) I've been thinking of you two today. Hopefully the fluids will help him feel even better.
I've never heard of anything like the crinkly sound... interested to hear what the doc thinks.
Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts :) I know he can feel all the love everyone is sending.
Yeah, the sound is weird. Especially since no one here has heard of it. Since I gave him more fluids earlier, I can hear it when he walks. It doesn't appear to bother him, whatever it is. I hope the vet knows something about it.

tinybash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad he is being cuddly. Makes you feel better when they can be bothered. Still thinking about you both a lot and sending good vibes.

Last edited:

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back from krash's oncologist appt. She said he looks good all things considered, and that the Leukeran we gave him seems to have helped at least somewhat already because he has less inflammation in the affected intestine. His bloodwork looks good except a mild anemia (which is also causing him to breathe heavier and faster). She agrees with my decision to stop all treatments except for the prednisolone. I feel like the less vet visits, meds, stress, etc., the better for him in the long run. I don't have to take him back in for a couple of months, so we'll see what happens from here. She said he definitely does not appear to be in pain or even uncomfortable, so she's comfortable letting things continue as is.
Oh! I almost forgot- She said the crinkly sound under his skin is probably air from the sub q's and not to worry about it because it will work itself out. That's a little strange to me, but since I don't have a better answer, I'm inclined to believe her.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's positive news. I think you're making the right decision to keep him comfortable and as unstressed as possible. There's no sense in going to extremes to extend his life if he's not going to be able to enjoy the time he has left. :vibes::vibes::vibes: that he continues to feel good for a long time.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I totally forgot-we had a dog who liked to pick up one of my cats by the scruff and carry her. It was so cute! Anyways, once she got air under her skin from him picking her up too roughly (after that, we didn't let him do it anymore). So I have heard of it and her skin did make a funny little noise. It went away with no problems.
I had completely forgotten how he carried Wheezie around. My husband and I just had a good chuckle remembering :)

I hope Krash is feeling well :) I'm so glad the noise turned out to be a minor issue.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad the visit went well.  The only disconcerting thing is the slight Anemia.   Anything you can do about this without having to poke and prod him?  It's always a relief when they tell us they don't think our babies are in any pain or discomfort
.  Also good to find out about the crinkling sound, and have it substantiated by Happybird.

that he gets feeling better and better with each day that passes and soon gets back to his old bird watching self.

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay, I'm glad Krash's vet appointment went well, along with the sub-q fluids. I find that Tigger enjoys getting them. He actually purrs throughout the whole thing, but then again, he is the chillest/most laid back kitty I've ever known. That's strange about the crinkling sound

I heard the same, Holistic, about enzymes. Since Tigger's pancreatitis seems to have calmed down, I decided to order the enzymes and see how he reacts. I will let you know how it goes. 

I thought I'd have the house to myself tonight, but since I don't, I may not be able to call in to BTR. That said, I will definitely be n chat, I hope to see you there Krashballz!

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you get on for their after hours. 

Krash's pic is sooo cute on your profile. Is he a tiger?

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't :( I'll try another show though. If you hear of any others, please let me know.
Yes, he's a tiger. That was last Halloween. He's precious.

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For sure, I will let you know. I really want them to help Krash.

Oh my, so ridiculously cute! He even looks like he's snarling like a tiger!

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And speaking of precious (sarcasm), krash just walked across my living room, went to the balcony door, pooped on the carpet and walked away. He has never, ever done this before. He doesn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort. He's been sleeping most of the afternoon. This is pretty unnerving. I didn't get on to him because I don't think he even thought he was doing anything wrong. That was so weird.

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh ok, I just realized you said he's never done this before. Yikes, I wonder what's going on with him. He is otherwise okay? How strange. I'm sure you will keep a close eye on him. Ugh

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has. I forgot. It was one time last year. Which is when I think his insides were starting to get messed up from the cancer and all that, we just didn't know he had it then.
It's still SO abnormal for him. And yeah, he's otherwise ok. He didn't act like it hurt or that it was an emergency. He's also being kind of aggressive with me to pet him. Like shoving his nose into my hand. That's weird, but not totally out of the ordinary. He used to do that all the time, just hasn't for quite awhile now.

tinybash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Daisy is doing okay at the moment. She is causing havoc with her chemo pill though so our vet has agreed to do it for us ... thankfully they are only 10 minutes away. I don't know how long she is meant to be on this routine - at least until christmas.

Anyway, every day is a precious bonus. I know you'll agree on that :)

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Daisy is doing okay at the moment. She is causing havoc with her chemo pill though so our vet has agreed to do it for us ... thankfully they are only 10 minutes away. I don't know how long she is meant to be on this routine - at least until christmas.

Anyway, every day is a precious bonus. I know you'll agree on that :)
I do agree! All we can ask for everyday is one more day. I'm glad to hear she's doing ok right now. And thank goodness your vet can help you with the pills. Once they decide they don't wanna take them, there's not much you can do to change their minds. Stubborn kitties :)

Status
Not open for further replies.