help!! kitten throwing up

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
around 3-4 days ago my male 4 1/2 week old kitten, cosmo, started throwing up! he's thrown up about 4-5 times since, all of the vomit has had white chunks (the most recent was pretty much nothing but white chunks) but the liquids range from clear to foggy to yellow. along with that, he has a slight, occasional clicking sound? Another kitten from this litter died within its first week of life & it also had the same clicking sound except you could hear it per every single breath, you can only hear cosmos clicking sound every once in a while. whats wrong?

CrazedCatLady

Owner of six cats!🐈
Kitten
Purraise
around 3-4 days ago my male 4 1/2 week old kitten, cosmo, started throwing up! he's thrown up about 4-5 times since, all of the vomit has had white chunks (the most recent was pretty much nothing but white chunks) but the liquids range from clear to foggy to yellow. along with that, he has a slight, occasional clicking sound? Another kitten from this litter died within its first week of life & it also had the same clicking sound except you could hear it per every single breath, you can only hear cosmos clicking sound every once in a while. whats wrong?
Hope your kitty feels better!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't stress enough the importance of seeing a vet especially since you said one of the kittens in the litter has already died. Please call your vet and keep us posted on Cosmo's progress. :crossfingers:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A clicking sound in very young kittens indicates pneumonia — usually from aspirating milk into the lungs. That is probably what the white chunks are — milk.

Are you bottle or syringe feeding or is the kitten strictly nursing its mom?

Regardless, your kitten will need antibiotics and possibly sub-q fluids ASAP in order to pull through. This IS an emergency. Please see a vet pronto!

Please also update us. ollie4444 ollie4444

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't stress enough the importance of seeing a vet especially since you said one of the kittens in the litter has already died. Please call your vet and keep us posted on Cosmo's progress. :crossfingers:
i took cosmo to the vet yesterday, he was just nursing too much :) hes okay!!

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
A clicking sound in very young kittens indicates pneumonia — usually from aspirating milk into the lungs. That is probably what the white chunks are — milk.

Are you bottle or syringe feeding or is the kitten strictly nursing its mom?

Regardless, your kitten will need antibiotics and possibly sub-q fluids ASAP in order to pull through. This IS an emergency. Please see a vet pronto!

Please also update us. ollie4444 ollie4444
I took him to the vet yesterday, He's completely fine- Was just nursing too much & needed to switch over to kitten food!! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kind of kitten food are you feeding at 4 1/2 weeks? Most kittens are still nursing at that age.

What did the vet say about the clicking sound?

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Cosmo is 5 weeks old as of yesterday..

I'm slightly confused about the kitten food thing because as far I've read, like u said, they should still be nursing- but the vet we saw said otherwise 🤷
as for the clicking, it stuck around for a couple of days but ended up stopping about a week ago and the vet said if the clicking was a cause for concern, cosmo would have likely died already or been extremely ill since its been a week since I heard it.
also, the kitten food is mushed up Iams perfect portions healthy kitten food :)

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
my little cosmo is pretty underweight for his age so, does anyone know of any kitten foods that would be really good at beefing the little guy up? wanna get an idea of what to get before I venture off to petco lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the kitten eating the Iams? Is he also still nursing? He can do both.

Perhaps kitten had a virus making him sick that has now run its course.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food to start. It’s easy to lap and digest. He can transition to kitten pates in a couple of weeks.

ollie4444 ollie4444

Last edited:

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Try Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food to start. It’s easy to lap and digest. He can transition to kitten pates in a couple of weeks.

ollie4444 ollie4444
our vet recommended he be on kitten pate foods as of now.......

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
hes nursing and eating the iams- im just trying to lessen the amount of time he spends nursing and replace some of the time with the Iams.

I'm not very sure what was wrong with cosmo in the beginning since there are sooo many thing that could've been wrong but in the event that its some kind of disease, I sent in a fecal sample so we can see if it's something that's gonna be long-term buttttt hopefully it isn't and hopefully my baby is beginning recovery :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the fat content shall be quite high, in dry food over 20%.

Also, goats milk is always an useful supplement.

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Cosmo going to be okay when you leave the cats alone?
I'm pretty sure he will, but I won't know 100% how he's doing till its time & if its safe for me to leave- if he's still not well, ill just try to bring him with me.