Help I’ve Tried Everything!

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a 1 1/2 old male tabby that I rescued along w his brother after my kitty passed away. I have a 10 yr old short hair black female too. These two males were always wild and I got them neutered, but one is really dominant. The other has been sticking up for himself lately plus I have a new baby at home. Leo, the naughty cat is peeing everywhere! It’s pee and a lot. Sometimes he poops and I’m trying to sell my house and he goes in the worst places. I don’t wanna give him up bc no one will take him plus I love him, but he’s so naughty. The vet took his blood and he’s fine as I thought. I tried everything. The collars, felaway, litter box changes, separate food schedules etc. is there a way to retrain him at his age? I know it’s behavioral and I spent $700 at the vet last time.

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try increasing canned food, decreasing dry food. This happens with my boy cat when he gets too much kibble.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is most likely, if the vet has ruled everything out health wise, stress related. Maybe due to the new baby in the house? Extra activity trying to sell the home? Cats are creatures of habit, and any change in routine can throw them off balance.

I know Dr. Elsey makes a cat attract litter, and an additive for current litter, that is suppose to help with this.
Dr. Elsey's / Litter / Litter & Accessories / Cat - Free shipping at Chewy.com

If nothing else works you may talk to the vet about something like prozac for him? Some people have good luck with this. Best of luck to you guys.

Fredthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As someone else suggested try the cat attract litter. Also separate litter boxes are a must. My three don’t like to use the same box. They also make a spray to repel them away from certain areas to prevent them from spraying.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you have more than one litter box in the house, right? And you keep them clean, right?
I had my girl cat on Prozac for about a year because she was spraying all over the house. It worked. It was only a very low dose but enough to make her feel a bit better about life. Eventually I weaned her off and she's fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try increasing canned food, decreasing dry food. This happens with my boy cat when he gets too much kibble.
Really? This is something I have not tried! My older kitty eats canned food separate from Leo and his brother, but I will definitely try it! You never know, right? Thanks so much

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure you have more than one litter box in the house, right? And you keep them clean, right?
I had my girl cat on Prozac for about a year because she was spraying all over the house. It worked. It was only a very low dose but enough to make her feel a bit better about life. Eventually I weaned her off and she's fine.
I’ve been trying to get him on Prozac but the vets wanna charge a million dollars before they prescribe. Did it make your kitty lethargic? Just curious. Also, it stopped him from going outside his box? When you weened him off, did his old behaviors come back? I’m gonna try this bc yes, I’ve tried using multiple boxes but all 3 like to use the same one we always keep it clean so that’s how I ruled out problems w litter boxes. Thank you!!

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is most likely, if the vet has ruled everything out health wise, stress related. Maybe due to the new baby in the house? Extra activity trying to sell the home? Cats are creatures of habit, and any change in routine can throw them off balance.

I know Dr. Elsey makes a cat attract litter, and an additive for current litter, that is suppose to help with this.
Dr. Elsey's / Litter / Litter & Accessories / Cat - Free shipping at Chewy.com

If nothing else works you may talk to the vet about something like prozac for him? Some people have good luck with this. Best of luck to you guys.
I think the cat attract litters are litter plus cat nip? They’re expensive but I wonder if I could just buy cat nip? I think I’m gonna try the Prozac and hope I have luck but, yes we are trying to sell the home so funny you mention. Would that cause him to behave more territorial w the other cats? It seems like he’s trying to be the boss and then other ones aren’t having it. It’s motte of a competition w his litter mate, which seems odd to me. I would think it would be opposite and they would have a stronger bond.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been trying to get him on Prozac but the vets wanna charge a million dollars before they prescribe. Did it make your kitty lethargic? Just curious. Also, it stopped him from going outside his box? When you weened him off, did his old behaviors come back? I’m gonna try this bc yes, I’ve tried using multiple boxes but all 3 like to use the same one we always keep it clean so that’s how I ruled out problems w litter boxes. Thank you!!
We've put our cat Rico on Prozac because of very serious problems with inappropriate urination. Nothing else we tried worked. The Prozac has worked wonders for him. It doesn't make him lethargic or change his personality. It just takes the edge off of his anxiety and nervousness.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. No it did not make either of my cats lethargic or goofy acting. It made Timmer a quieter, less anxious cat. Lupita was on it for marking. She stopped. When I did wean her off of it, she ocassionally marked but not like she had been. By occasionally, I mean 2, 3 times a year and it was most likely because another cat was outside, agitating her. I got it made up at the compound pharmacy for her in a fish liquid and that was expensive. $70 a month. For Tim, I gave him a quarter of a pill daily. The vet used to tell me "that's so small, it's not doing anything probably" but i felt it was. When I weaned him off it he did go back to being anxious, so I would put him back on it. The pill form was cheaper than the liquid, and he just called that in to the regular CVS drug store.

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've put our cat Rico on Prozac because of very serious problems with inappropriate urination. Nothing else we tried worked. The Prozac has worked wonders for him. It doesn't make him lethargic or change his personality. It just takes the edge off of his anxiety and nervousness.
I’m picking up his prozac today!! Despite my vet trying to talk me out of it bc she said it might not work but I’ve seen on here that it does so I hope it works wonders here too. How long did it take to start working?

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really? This is something I have not tried! My older kitty eats canned food separate from Leo and his brother, but I will definitely try it! You never know, right? Thanks so much
Maggie, I gave him a canned food yesterday and he hasn’t gone outside his little box!! So between this and the Prozac, I hope it’s resolved

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m really greatful for this website! These are awesome suggestions that I haven’t heard. I hope more people go on here instead of giving up on their kitty’s. I would never but I see many do and it’s not right.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed a chance within 3, 4 days even though they tell you it takes a couple of weeks to build up in their system. And just a reminder, he was on a very low dose. A quarter of a tablet.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m picking up his prozac today!! Despite my vet trying to talk me out of it bc she said it might not work but I’ve seen on here that it does so I hope it works wonders here too. How long did it take to start working?
Our vet wasn't sure it would help Rico, either, but it sure has. I don't remember exactly but I'm thinking it was only a few days until we saw a difference.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your little guy sees some good results with the changes you're trying. :goodluck: Keep us posted!

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I wanted to give it a few days to be sure. I also tried giving him wet food but wanted that to be temporary since he’s pretty overweight. I gave him wet food plus Prozac for about 4 days then stopped giving him wet food and he has not gone outside the litter box since! I thought I needed a miracle but it really worked! I’m really glad however, I do feel terrible about shooting the syringe in his mouth every day. I know they come in the form of treats but I was weary about him eating them. I think I’m gonna buy a few and see how they go before I buy the liquid. I just feel so bad but I know he’s more relaxed. I’m gonna keep him on this until we move and settle into a new house, which could take a while since I’m not even in contract atm. I do wanna thank everyone again for their help and I hope someone stumbles on this post if they’re in the same position. Thanks!! So much everyone!!!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
YAY!!! Don't feel bad. The way I look at it is how would I like to be walking around with all that anxiety all the time? I never gave the liquid in the mouth. I would mix it in the wet food for my girl and she did OK with that.
With my boy, I put the pill in pill pockets.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im glad he is doing better!

Can i ask why you want to stop the wet food? Normally an overweight cat will do better, and slim down easier on wet foods than a high carb dry food?

08lisa77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im glad he is doing better!

Can i ask why you want to stop the wet food? Normally an overweight cat will do better, and slim down easier on wet foods than a high carb dry food?
Really? I had an overweight cat and when I started using the self feeders she lost weight bc I think that she felt she didn’t have to scarf her food down bc it was always there. She passed away before I got my boys. This concept isn’t working out that well for them bc they are overweight. When I took their food away so they could cut back to lose weight, they were acting out pretty bad, including using my house as their personal litter box. You suggest I should take their dry food and replace it w one can per day? No dry? PS I have an 11 year old who’s not overweight and I feed her the wet food privately. Just so you have a clear picture. My fiancé, 9 month old, and 3 kitty’s!!