Help!!! I think my kitten is dying!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten with his eye shut has an infection. I started cleaning it and a bunch of pus started oozing out of it. I'm going to call the humane society right now and see if they can help me get some ointment for it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a good idea. You can apply a warm damp cloth to help the pus come out. The eye needs to be able to open, or the pus will build up behind the eye and can cause blindness or loss of the eye.

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
good news! diane from the humane society called the vet near me and they're going to give me ointment for free. my brothers going to pick it up when he gets back from dropping my brother off. how should i apply the ointment to his eye? i don't want to do it wrong and hurt the little fella :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See, it just took a phone call! Will the vet still be open?

With clean hands, you open the tube and GENTLY squeeze a TINY amount onto your forefinger. Cap the tube immediately, or a long strand of it will come out and you don't need to waste any. It's a tiny tube.

Then, with the eyes open, gently smear a dab across each eye, so it gets inside. I believe it's 2-3 times a day for a week. There should be instructions on the box

I'm going to suggest that you dose the other kittens as well, because it's contagious, and they need it too.

I'm so glad you called!

Let me know how it goes!

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you wash your hands between each eye and between each kitten!

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i got the stuff and it turned out to be some eyedrops. she said to clean the babies eyes out then drop it into them 2x a day for a week. i did it to all the babies, and only two of them got mad. not even the one i named Diva complained. (her name is Diva because she freaks out when i pick her up or touch her or whatever)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay! Drops are good too! What is the name of the drops?

Good you did each kitten!

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm unsure :/ they put a sticker over the label so i cant read it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's okay, I was just curious. The main thing is you called and got help for the kittens! Be proud! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Let me know how their eyes are tomorrow. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the one kittens eye was closed again today but when i cleaned it there was no puss in his eye.

i got bored and ripped the label off and it says the stuff expired in 2013... and the name of it is "gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution"

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. Hopefully it will still do the job. That's good medicine. The eye should begin staying open soon. Glad to hear there was no pus!