Help!!! I think my kitten is dying!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She took two feedings and was seeming to get better there for a bit though. :(
I put her in with her siblings. She's still breathing hard but she isn't crying out or panting anymore.

crystaldawn87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm cautiously hoping she can fight through this. I've been where you are and only one of five made it. We're all here for you. All you can do is keep trying. Sounds like she's a little fighter. You're doing amazingly by the way.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She did seem better! We'll see what happens. Maybe she will eat later. Keep us posted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is still alive tomorrow, you could call a shelter and ask if they could treat her. Sometimes they will help out. Where are you located? I'll see which ones are near you.

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Atchison Kansas. I have a humane society in my town but I know they're low on funds. I will try to feed her again soon. She's crying again but shes still semi alert. She at least responds to my touch.

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes!!! She ate almost all of it! She seems a lil more active and vocal now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is terrific news. Keep feeding her then. I hope she makes it!

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fed her again. She ate about 2/3rds then mama cat came over and I gave her the rest. She licked the baby clean too. The kitten keeps twitching. Is that normal? Also I think some of them have an eye infection. Got green looking boogers on their eyes and when I cleaned it off their eyelids were puffy and red. Baby kitten has her eye glued shut but it's not infected luckily.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, the twitching is not normal.

Also, hold a warm, damp cloth over the eye that is glued shut to soften it, but do not pry it open. Keep all of their eyes cleaned up and open. They need terramycin ointment to clear up their eye infections.

We'll see if there's anywhere that can help tomorrow.

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly she passed away while I was sleeping :( at least she's no longer suffering. Thanks for the help everyone.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about your new kitten not making it. You certainly did all you could and it sounds like little kitty did not suffer .
This happened to me a few times. Sometimes a kitten is stillborn or will die within a few hours after birth. It's always sad.
I know you'll look after the others and have a happy kitty family .

Best wishes to you ~

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry. You really tried. She was not well from the start.

Let's focus on the rest of the litter now. They need eye medicine.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes we do what we can but it is not enough. I'm so sorry for your loss, even though you only just began to know that sweet little soul, it breaks the heart to say goodbye. RIP little girl, you were loved and will never be forgotten, your little star will shine bright tonight in the heavens!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your Humane Society is all I could find near you. They are open 10-5pm today. The number is (913) 367- 3647.

You could call and ask if they can help with eye medicine. It does not sound like they have a clinic like ours does here in Florida.

The kittens' eyes need terramycin. It can also be ordered online, but their eyes will not get better without it. It's an antibiotic salve. In the meantime, you need to keep all their eyes from getting crusted up and stuck by using a warm, damp cloth to gently clean them.

You also need to ask the Humane Society for an appointment to spay mom when the kittens are 6-7 weeks old, and do not let her outside at all to get pregnant again. Set aside the money.

What are your plans for the kittens? Will you be able to find homes for all 5?

Last edited:

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've found homes for at least 2 of them. And I checked on their eyes and they seem to be doing better. Only one has their eyes glued shut and it's not green anymore. Just whitish. Their eyes are still watering but they're not red anymore.

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As in it's closed and the kitten cant open it unless I wipe the crap off.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, that's what I thought you meant. Please continue wiping their eyes. I wish you were able to get eye ointment though. Are they doing okay otherwise?

myshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They seem to be doing fine. They're all getting bigger and seem active enough for the age they're at. They all have been able to nurse from mama cat. Just the one has one of his eyes still closed.