Help I think my cat has turned on me! :(

linni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he's coming back to himself! Cats have very tender psyches. I would talk to him all the time in a gentle voice. If you're walking into the room where he is, tell him that you're coming in.

I always say goodbye to our adopted shelter cat when we go out for any reason. I know it probably makes no sense at all to him, but I always tell him when I'll be back. I'll tell him gently - "Goodbye Cappy, we'll be back in an hour. You be a good boy when we're gone."

And then when we come home, he is always at the door to greet us. But, I used to talk to myself all the time - so it's easy to just transfer it to a cat.

So - I think you're on the right track! You just have a cat who needs extra love.

Lin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Evening Update:

Oh No! .... I hope I didn't mess things up!

This evening, he followed me downstairs but he got halfway down and decided to go back up. So I continued downstairs to secure everything for the evening.

The window blinds were open and there was still just a tad bit of early evening sunshine/moonshine coming in so I could see where I was going, although it was almost pitch back in the living room.

I was closing the living room blinds and turned around and too my amazement, he was sitting right by my legs.

As I was turning around i accidentally kicked him and stumbled over him!

"Oh No!" I thought!, as I tripped and fell to one side. He scurried away under the table!

I didn't think he was coming downstairs! and would sitting so patiently next to me!

Anyway, he ran under the table and then scurried under the armoire all huddled up in fear, like a little, sad frog again. I immediately started talking to him in a sweet, loving voice to let him know I was so, so, so, so, sorry.

I finally got him out and held him and whispered in his ear, petting him. I held him close as we both walked upstairs. I put him on the bed and petted him and he ran back under the bed.

I sure hope I didn't mess all this progress up! We'll see how he does in the morning.

I've learned a big lesson with pets in the house. Always make sure you look around, you never know where they may be at any time.

I will post more updates tomorrow!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep up the good work and don't let this little setback discourage you. The day I took my boy for his dental - oy, whatever could go wrong did, really. First I starve him overnight, from his point of view - then we go off to the vet and I leave him behind. Then I bring him home and he's feeling all woozy and was obviously not happy. Then, he starts feeling better but I still don't feed him (doctor's order) and I step on his tail! I didn't mean to!.

I did what you did - spend a lot of time telling him I was so sorry,that I loved him, and that things would be ok. And things were, although I was afraid I had really broken our trust too.

Just don't push him, or beat yourself up - just keep up what you've been doing and let him find his courage again.

linni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You just have a very sensitive little kitty! And it's good for him that he has such a patient 'pet parent.'

I have learned to turn lights on. In the past I could make my way down a darkened hallway, but no more. He chases after us and is pure black and impossible to see. I've almost stepped on him so many times.

Lin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advise!

Afternoon Update:

Well, he is doing fine now.

Wish me luck! I'm taking him to the vet this afternoon to have a check up and have his ear mites treated.

I'll post more updates later

dutchsnowshoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TAKE HIM TO THE VET.... Cats will NOT tell you when they are sick, they will hide it for as long as they can. Maybe he's just mad at you and has trust issues, etc... but before you read too much into anything, go to the veterinarian! When my cast's behavior changes, it usually means he's sick!
Well -- I'm realizing now it's an old discussion... I hope you are both fine.
For the next person inquiring... VET first. Then, you can go into psychology :-)
Love . x