Help! Having Trouble with 5 orphaned kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You would have to be here to see the two. They can't move very much at all. They aren't taking food well either. I won't give up on them, but I also have to take into consideration they are beyond sick.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

If the two kittens go to the foster and whitey and red don't make it, it is very important to keep the remaining kitten warm. Single kittens this age raised alone sometimes get cold without their litter mates, so if this is the end result, make sure that Violet stays in a box that has a heating pad on one side set on low under a blanket or towel, with the other side left normal. It can also get lonely, so trying to give her a stuffed toy to cuddle with is a great idea also.
Yes.  Also, it will be necessary to give her company.  A stuffed animal perhaps?  Make perhaps one of fleece, and have a rice sock inside, so you can warm up the sock in a micro as an heat pad.  Thsi way you get a warm companion whose fleece skin feels alike fur...

Human warmth, perhaps even carrying at the chest, is useful too...

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@NewYork1303

and @StefanZ

we will most certainlt keep her warm and give love and company. they love to cuddle and she loves to suckle.

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She actually just latches on to our fingers. She's the only one that really knows how to suckle; she has a strong grip to. We could try a bottle they are currently syringe fed.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely try a bottle if you can get one. If she can suckle from the bottle feedings will go so much more smoothly.

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank, I'll try the bottle. Update on the foster: they may be able to take Green and Blue as soon as tomorrow. We have another foster offer but they have yet to respond again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ask the other foster if they have experience with sick kittens. Maybe they can take the others. It sure can't hurt to ask!

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2  I will ask as soon as she calls us back. Maybe she could take Violet (she's not too sick, but...)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ask if she has experience with saving SICK kittens. Maybe she can HELP when she calls back.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, have you weighed the kittens today to see if they have gained or lost weight? Can you post their weights please?

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't weighed them yet. I'll post their weights as soon as I can.

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Red and Whitey passed away yesterday. Red couldn't move, and Whitey was so weak. We didn't want them to suffer anymore. We're just so empty right now. Rest their souls, their spirits were strong, but their bodies just couldn't fight anymore. They were the nicest little kittens. 

Even though we possibly have fosters available, a new problem occurred with the other kittens. Kinda gross, but serious. They all seem to have anal protrusions; their anuses also seem to be slightly swollen and red. I looked it up and it was a serious condition so we're taking them to the vet, but I don't know what they could do at their age. Surgery on such a small kitten couldn't possibly work. It seems every time something goes right( getting them a nice foster, seeing how healthy the other kittens are), something goes wrong( this). Pray for these guys, I hope the vet can fix this.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Red and Whitey.  Hopefully the vet can help the other kittens.

Hang in there you are doing all that can be done for these little guys.

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It was a very hard day for all of us. I hope they can fix the others too. I'll update what happens as soon as we can take them in to the vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

, a new problem occurred with the other kittens. Kinda gross, but serious. They all seem to have anal protrusions; their anuses also seem to be slightly swollen and red. I looked it up and it was a serious condition so we're taking them to the vet, but I don't know what they could do at their age. Surgery on such a small kitten couldn't possibly work. It seems every time something goes right( getting them a nice foster, seeing how healthy the other kittens are), something goes wrong( this). Pray for these guys, I hope the vet can fix this.
This with protruding rectum isnt not that unusual.  Most often its following constipation, but sometimes diarehea... Usually on weak kittens yes.  The weak kittens whom not dies, it disappears with time.    So whatever it is, its not question  of any surgery here.

But good you are going to the vet, he will hopefully find advices for both this, and their uneven health.

Did you got hold of goat milk, - preferably raw or at least, KMR in powder?   BeneBac is also useful.

Shops carrying "Natural food" usually carry raw goat milk.   I truly believe this may be the trick, especielly as you need a change.   Even bottled goat milk may be useful alternative here, like with many other rescuers.

If you wish to put your money on safe bets, and use the KMR by PetAg in powder, use ALSO their product BeneBac.  Its very possible the vet will carry both of them.

How are their weights developing?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Red and Whitey passed away yesterday. Red couldn't move, and Whitey was so weak. We didn't want them to suffer anymore. We're just so empty right now. Rest their souls, their spirits were strong, but their bodies just couldn't fight anymore. They were the nicest little kittens. 
RIP  little ones,  Red and Whitey.    You got and received love, you were precious to those whom took care about you.   Im sure your souls will have peace,

as your bodies have peace now.

Warm hugs,  Gmoda.

gmoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ  Thank you for your kind words. As for their..anus condition, it seems whenever they poop it get slightly red and swollen, but after a while it sorta goes back in place. We just called the vet, and unfortunately we can't take them into the vet to get de-wormed or have their anuses checked until they're 4 weeks old, at the moment they are approx. 3 weeks old. The anuses on Whitey and Red were swollen and very protruding, I felt so bad for them. :( I'm more than certain they have worms now, and hopefully we can get them to the vet asap. As for the goat milk, we haven't gotten any, nor the powder. But we did try pumpkin filling and mixed it with a very very small amount of wet food( blue buffalo for kittens) and Green seemed to love it; the rest ate it too but he was very enthusiastic about it. Also, Violet pooped in the litter box for the first time, didn't bury it but she tried.  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a bad report. 

Have you contacted Tricia at Sandpaper Kisses yet?  She may have some tricks for dealing with these issues.