HELP! First time kitten mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Simba is still not latching to the nipple, I think he just hasn't gotten his strength back yet. I have still been feeding him pedialyte and formula to keep him going.
What are the signs of aspiration and pneumonia? I want to be able to catch it in case. I am feeding him slowly and not too much but I still get worried.
I'm praying for a full recovery. He has me so worried [emoji]128543[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Signs are labored breathing, lethargy, clicking noise, general fading. If he gets pneumonia he won't recover. Kittens go downhill fast.

What symptoms are you seeing?

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He just scares me. He goes from being super quiet and just laying there, to meowing his head off and moving around. He is defiantly becoming more quiet though. My poor boy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is not a good sign. Is he taking his liquids well?

Last edited:

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is two videos of him breathing.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is his meow

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His meow sounds okay. It's hard for me to tell about his breathing on the video. I suppose you are seeing something different in him from the other kittens.

Be sure to keep him especially warm.

It sounds like he is taking his liquids well enough, and you are doing everything you can for him right now. Just keep doing what you're doing.

I'm saying a prayer that he continues to fight through the night for you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let's hope he has none of these issues and pulls through this!

Last edited:

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately at 11 pm Simba passed away. He fought the good fight but I think he got fading kitten syndrome and just faded so fast. He was buried under a big oak tree and will never be forgotten. My heart is broken but I got to remember I have 8 other very healthy kittens and that little gray has completley turned around. Thank you all for your advice

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry you lost him. As I read through today's latest I feared he was not going to make it. The lack of wanting to nurse is a clear sign of it, loss of interest, failure to thrive.

I have learned that sometimes, it is literally inevitable, no matter how good you are, how experienced, it's just nature's way, things that we can't see, nature knows.

As you said, he will never be forgotten, but now you have to move forward for the others.

Imagine Simba perched on your shoulder as you tend to his siblings :) 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know your heart is broken. It is so hard to lose one of your babies. As catwoman said, you must continue on for mama and the other eight. I am thrilled that your gray kitten is thriving along with the others. RIP Simba - you fought the battle and were loved.

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words. I just wanted to get all my babies to healthy loving cats but I just think the odds were not in my favor.
Question. One of my babies eyes is looking funny. I'm attaching a picture

Is this a vet visit? I do not not want to loose any more babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it's a vet visit for antibiotic eye ointment most likely. Terramycin is the commonly used one in a tube. Let the vet know there are seven other babies and you may need more than one tube. If one has it they may all get it.

How is everyone otherwise?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to see, I see one eye closed and one half way opened with a sort of hazy blue film.

Not clear about what you are seeing, but if it has anything to do with crusty, goopy, runny, or stuck shut it is very common and nothing to worry that will threaten lives, but needs antibiotic eye ointment.

Terramycin is available online without a prescription if you live anywhere outside of CA.

Cheaper to get it this way too.

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for dissapearing! I had to run to get my work check and supplies for mama and kittens.

I am not sure.  Is there any discharge?

@sarthur2
There is no discharge

Yes, it's a vet visit for antibiotic eye ointment most likely. Terramycin is the commonly used one in a tube. Let the vet know there are seven other babies and you may need more than one tube. If one has it they may all get it.

How is everyone otherwise?
everyone else is fine! No too yellow pee for anyone, thank god, and everyone is gaining weight like they should.

It's hard to see, I see one eye closed and one half way opened with a sort of hazy blue film.

Not clear about what you are seeing, but if it has anything to do with crusty, goopy, runny, or stuck shut it is very common and nothing to worry that will threaten lives, but needs antibiotic eye ointment.
Terramycin is available online without a prescription if you live anywhere outside of CA.
Cheaper to get it this way too.
There is no discharge nor is it crusty or runny. Just like what you said, a clear hazy film over what appears to be a half open blue eye. They are only a week and a day old and I didn't think their eyes open until 2 weeks or later and she only has one eye halfway open. I'm going to order the antibiotic anyway to be on the safe side. Should I still take her into the vet? I know Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said to, and I will defiantly if needed, whatever for my kittens, just don't wanna risk her out at the office exposed to other diseases.

Last edited:

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is the website my mom usually orders all her horse or barn kitten needs from. Is this the correct medicine? I can order it online without having to take her in. I'm going to order 4 tubes to be on the extra safe side