Help Cat Ate Strip of Corn Husk

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's too late for this now but what I would have done was take her to the vet RIGHT AWAY after it happened so they could induce vomiting. Otherwise you're playing Russian Roulette. It might come out the other end just fine or it might get tangled in her intestines and require emergency surgery.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm...I wonder why my cats have never had a problem ith the stuff? You don't think they eat dry grass when they are outside cats or in the wild? I tried giving them fresh cat grass but they don't like it. They much prefer the dry grass skirt.

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't go crazy. My cats managed to eat thread and pieces of plastic bags. And you're right when you panick they panic and start eating even faster. She'll go to the bathroom and all will be fine.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarciFinn

Thanks Bengal Babe and all else, for the info and support! It looks as if litte Darci is doing well, the vet said she dodged a bullet and will be ok. I have gone back through their toys and thrown away anything that looks the least bit scary.

I am so surprised they sell such dangerous toys for kittens, but I guess one has to be smarter than the manufacturers out their to make money.
Yeah the manufacturers could care less about the health of our kitties, as long as they make sales
We just have to be on the look out for the dangerous ones. Let us know when she passes it

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

Yeah the manufacturers could care less about the health of our kitties, as long as they make sales
We just have to be on the look out for the dangerous ones. Let us know when she passes it
Well wouldn't you say that anything could be dangerous if eaten? I mean ribbons, sisal rope, plastic toys, anything really...so it's not really the manufacturers fault, it's up to us to be careful about our cats not eating the things they might rip up. I mean, a cat can rip a piece of thread off of a cat bed and get that tangled in the gut...that dosen't mean the manufacturer should be at fault for using thread to sew the bed together.
I don't think that all manufacturers don't care. Maybe the ones with huge compaines that mass produce but there are smaller manufacturers out there that really love animals and that's why they started the business to begin with.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Bengal babe, not all are bad- sorry I put them all down earlier, there are some really good companies out there that are interested in the well-being of our kitties. But i have experienced some really cheaply made toys in the past, poot stitching etc... those were the companies I meant to refer to. I was just caught in the heat of the moment i guess(lol) sorry if I offended anyone! I love you guys!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

It's too late for this now but what I would have done was take her to the vet RIGHT AWAY after it happened so they could induce vomiting. Otherwise you're playing Russian Roulette. It might come out the other end just fine or it might get tangled in her intestines and require emergency surgery.
Semi, just a note I did say in my original post, I called the vet RIGHT AWAY. They said not to come in. I am lucky in that if I go out on my deck and crane my neck I can see vets office and they know that. Maybe that is why they felt it was not necessary to race her over. I even called the ER Vet for a second opinon and they said to watch her but not to panic too much. I may sound a little defensive but I swear I love my kittens and would have more than willing to pay the vet any amount necessary.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

Yes Bengal babe, not all are bad- sorry I put them all down earlier, there are some really good companies out there that are interested in the well-being of our kitties. But i have experienced some really cheaply made toys in the past, poot stitching etc... those were the companies I meant to refer to. I was just caught in the heat of the moment i guess(lol) sorry if I offended anyone! I love you guys!!!!!
no offense taken.