Help! Caring for single newborn kitten...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
LoL, bababoy must love pink coz it will remind him of his mama. 
     What a deternined little face Gravity has,  so full of life.  No wonder your heart is being stolen more and more every day. Something tells me you have his heart too though, he looks very happy all cuddled up with you.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has put a bit of a scare in me this morning. during his 4:30am feeding, I realize he wasn't interested in suckling, just kind of chewing the nipple, and he didn't really eat much of anything during his 6:30 feeding. He had about 2-3cc. He has been lethargic and sleeping since after his 2:30 feeding...I ran to the store and got some karo syrup to see if it would help. Not much of a difference right now... :(

should I be as alarmed as I feel? Trying not to go in panic mode and just let him sleep, and wake him for his next feeding, hoping there will be a difference. He purrs when I pet him and cuddle him...he's peed, and he had a BM at 4:30 as well...just not excited about eating, and not as active. He had been eating 4-7cc around the clock, until this morning.

Last edited:

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got 8cc in him with a syringe, he did not give me any problems with it. Seemed somewhat more alert than before...i am still scared.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mindyl3igh mindyl3igh

He may just be sleepy and momentarily full. I am thinking he needs a change in his schedule to feedings every 3 to 4 hours since he is getting bigger and drinking more at each feeding. He's had normal pee and poo, so why don't you wait longer until his next feeding and see if he wakes up hungry?

How is his breathing?

Last edited:

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I just did that 8cc with the syringe, and he finally opened his eyes for longer than a few seconds later on after that.

You're right, he has been eating a lot up until this morning, so maybe it's too much, too often for him now. It's 10:20 now, I will keep check on him and then look at feeding him about 1:30/2:00 and see what difference it may make.

I've been watching his breathing, it seems the same as it has always been. No signs of distress, no crying...just seems very, very sleepy compared to normal. I think that is what alarmed me...that he went from kneading and getting so hyper about the bottle for a couple of days, to all of a sudden not wanting it. He's been stretching out, purring, and resting calmly. Could very well be needing to cut back. I will keep you updated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mindyl3igh mindyl3igh

He sounds fine! He wasn't getting his fill there for awhile, and now he is!

Do not offer him less formula, just lengthen the time between feedings. This is when you begin to get more of a break and get more sleep at night! His tummy is getting bigger as he grows! You may eventually get him to where he can go 6 hours at night.

Last edited:

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had his feeding at 2:00... seems more aware and alert, but still ended up having to opt for syringe to get something in him. He would just nibble on bottle and try to get away. :( Any ideas on what else to do? Could the olive oil for constipation have made his tummy sick?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mindyl3igh mindyl3igh

Well, you can leave it out of the next bottle, but it shouldn't make him ill.

Did he wee or poo after that feeding? Did you have to wake him up?

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Just been out for a few hours and reading these posts I swear my heart stopped.  You are right to be on alert and immediately check what to do @MindyL3igh, Gravity is still tiny and very vulnerable so his health can change quickly.  There are people here with experience who can support and advise you though so you are not on your own.  Fingers crossed here and hoping all is well.  

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was awake, he did pee. Just still lethargic and completely different. I am at vet now. I was not going to be able to rest tonight. I will update in a bit!

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They said they have experience with babies. Going to see what they can do for my sweet Grav grav!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, and pick up clear pedialyte on your way home if you have none. You may need it!

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was gone from this thread and site for a few days, and so much has happened! 

First off, Grav looks quite handsome! I love how much he's grown in these past few days.

Second, I hope he's doing fine. I hope he's just going through a growth spurt, and nothing serious. Still glad you headed to the vet. Keep up posted on the little one! Sending love and "good vibes." 

mindyl3igh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I still have some pedialyte, thankfully! :) Okay, so he is on the antibiotic Albon, 0.2cc once a day for two weeks, and they also gave him 2cc of some thick sugar syrup while he was there and his first round Albon. They also saw fleas hiding in places I never even seen! They have a flea medication they have used on multiple newborn kittens and reassured me it was safe. Once they put it on him, poor Grav! Fleas were jumping off everywhere. :( They are almost 100% that the fleas were what his problem was and that they had began making him very anemic, so they sent me home with the spray and antibiotics just to be safe, in case he has any bacterial infections or parasites going on. His temp was reading at 97.4, but I know 100% that is because the poor baby hasn't wanted to lay with his bumpers/water bottles or heating pad all day. He's been in the furthest side of his nest...but guess what? I did get him to eat 4.5cc from the syringe (I didn't want to overdo it, he's been through a lot!) and he is FINALLY snuggling up to his bottles for the first time all day! He did lose 5g today, but that's a given, as he has not had an appetite at all. He's also been a bit more active as well since our visit, and actually meowed at me a few times on the way home. He was very quiet all the way there. I like to think he was saying "thank you mama, thank youuuu!" lol

I have hope for my strong baby boy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.