Help! Adopted an adult cat...He bites!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I adopted a

cat in July/13. I was scammed into thinking is was my cat who went missing in March. The cat.turned out to be pregnant with 6 kittens. I found homes for all of them including the mother. I kept one of the kittens. She was the most rambunctious. She was born on August 28. As I have been typing this she has attacked my leather couch 3 times an bit me once. She as always been a nipped me once. Everything chaNged about a week when she attacked a.man friend which she has had contact with since she was born. She went absolutely rabid. I washed blood off the living room floors and the kitchen floors and walls. She is completely out of control. I can't let my grandchildren in the house with her. I feel really sad, but I can't take a chance. Would you believe the CSPCA charges $60 to take in an animal. Just saying that makes me cry harder. Does anyone know a place in Montreal where I could take her?
Have you taken her to a vet to check she isn't sick?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had she had her rabis jabs and does she go out?
Is it possible that another male friend had hurt her making her scared of men?

lizzie0822

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She eats like pig, and she has never been outside, no man has ever manhandled her. I believe, laugh if you want, but my cable agent out last Thursday when my cable went out and I didn't get my tv back until Sunday. I think that has a contributing factors. My cat is addicted to tv. REALLY. She watches it for hours every day!!! SHE is sitting on the nd of my coffee table with her eyes open, just sitting there. When challenged she goes up on here hind legs and looks like she is going to box. She has slept in my bed ever since I found a new home for her mother. Now I sleep with my hands over my face, because I am afraid of her attacking my face during the night. She stopped sleeping with me when all this started. She either sleeps on my night table or on the floor watching me.

lizzie0822

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't been out since she was born. Was going to get her shots when I was having her fixed.

etherial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love your response!!!  You're his big momma cat, which means, you're a cat, too.  I'm glad mine don't do that, but I did have one that did, but I cut is short, I yelped loudly and "pinched" him each time he tried to pull that on me.  He stopped 99% of the time.  Anytime he tried it again, he got a yelp and pinched.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
She hasn't been out since she was born. Was going to get her shots when I was having her fixed.
If she hasn't been spayed yet this could be a significant factor in her behaviour. @lizzie0822, if you are seeking advice for your own cat's behaviour it is probably better for you to start your own thread and provide relevant background for people to offer advice or support there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renstwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Go to shelter.

Pick up cats and see which one melts into me calmly as if to say: "take me home".
This exactly is how I ended up with my gray girl. She was at the shelter and so sick. She was laying at the back of her kennel, and I didn't even notice her the first time I was at the shelter. The next day I went and said let me see that little grey kitten there. She was sneezing and had little flecks of snot in her fur! Well I held her and she nuzzled me and started purring and my heart was lost forever!

I feel that I am ready at this point for my next little buddy, so I am on the hunt for kittens tomorrow!

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This exactly is how I ended up with my gray girl. She was at the shelter and so sick. She was laying at the back of her kennel, and I didn't even notice her the first time I was at the shelter. The next day I went and said let me see that little grey kitten there. She was sneezing and had little flecks of snot in her fur! Well I held her and she nuzzled me and started purring and my heart was lost forever! :angel:

I feel that I am ready at this point for my next little buddy, so I am on the hunt for kittens tomorrow!
That is just great to hear. Good luck on your journey i too have recently adopted both a 4 month old female kitten as well as a 10 year old male on
Dec 28th. We now have a total of 8 cats. The kitten is a nut doing all kitten stuff, follows her 2 brothers around everywhere including my bed at night.
She usually is exhausted from playing with her brothers so she sleeps sound until i get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, then
of course i can't resist petting her or squeezing her belly then its playtime for her, i have now been up since 2 am because she wouldnt
Let me go back too bed once i was done playing with her belly. And I'm the smart one in the house. The new little boy who is 10 has bitten me
3 times so far also when i am rubbing his face. But not biting hard, but biting. But i have chalked it up to stress, getting used too a new home
with 7 other cats, as well as i knew he was a declawed cat and that could happen. I will give him enough time to adjust and just see what happens.
His first few days have been rough with lots of hissing and growling from my Alpha male.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Here's to a year of having our hearts stolen by adorable kittens and cats that we can offer our homes to,  especially if they understand that humans do not have fur to protect them from biting and scratching. 

@blackcat416, a good friend of mine once told me that if you rub a cat or kitten's belly it winds them up like a coiled spring and when you stop all that stored up energy bursts out.  That is certainly what happens with Mouse! 
   Enjoy your 2 am play sessions.

@Rens Twin,  I hope a kitten finds you, and I look forward to hearing how any new adoption progresses.  Good luck. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It's a boy!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!    And he looks like a cuddly one.   
    In @blackcat416's words - lets hear the skinny on him! Right down to the last furry detail...

Very sweet photo BTW: BIG whiskers and you know what they say about big whiskers - big cat.  Ihope you are prepared. 

Maybe we'll see this little boy in all the cute cuddly threads like the Random Heart Melting Photo thread,Sleeping Kitties, or the Awkward, Derpy and Otherwise  Hilarious Pictures. 

Last edited:

renstwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well his name is now Chester, and he is settling in just fine. He was from the same rescue group that I adopted the adult from. I wanted to support them if possible as they run the TNR program for the county I live in.

He is about five months old they think, and he was a stray. He had a bacterial infection from drinking contaminated water called spirochetes. He has one more day of medicine to take. I didn't have to worry about confinement as he is the only pet in my house.

I am really the most curious about his coat. He has a fluffy tail and tufts on the underside of his paws. He also has cheek tufts underneath his eye. I am wondering if he will be a longer haired cat when full grown.

It is funny you say that about the whiskers MServant. I am posting a pic with a view of his whiskers because one side is long and the other side is mostly short, so I don't know if they are kitten whiskers or if someone cut them.

He loves to play and to snuggle, and he slept with me from night one. He follows me around and sits on me or directly next to my chair.

I hope he will be okay once I go back to work tomorrow as he is a lone cat. I know he was alone as a stray and had to be segregated as a foster. I bought him some toys to amuse himself with while I am gone like a puzzle box and turbo scratcher. I will just have to monitor him and see if he appears lonely.

I plan on feeding him small can of wet food in the morning and big can at night with a bit of dry kibble during the afternoon, and so far he is ok with that, although he won't eat a few of the premium brands I tried, like Wellness.

Hee hee I love the stripes on his paws.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
He is a lovely (not so) little boy, I am so happy you've brought home a chilled out baby this time and hope it all goes well.  It's a shame he's had this infection so fingers crossed his medication has got that all sorted out.

Wow, that is so cruel, I do think someone has cut the whiskers on the left side of his face: they look far too even to be naturally shorter like that.  The whiskers on the other side are spectacular.  I guess he's been getting used to the whiskers but just be aware he might find it hard judging spaces and 'seeing' things on his left side until they are grown / replaced as they feel their way about and find stuff with their whiskers.  Funny the shelter didn't mention it to you as it is pretty noticeable.

He doesn't look like he will have long fur but maybe not very short either.  My tabby girls had medium length fur and fairly bushy tails but were not long haired.  I can see his back paw looks quite fluffy but his ears look quite clear and not pointy so I don't think at this stage he has a look of Maine Coon mix or anything, and he also looks quite long legged and lean in most of his photos and a lot of the larger breeds I am familiar with have a more cobby / stocky appearance. My closest guess at this point would be large cuddly ginger tabby in the making. 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Hee hee I love the stripes on his paws.
Chester is SO HANDSOME! Congrats :)

I haven't really commented/posted on this thread, but I've been following this thread, and how you adopted an older cat who turned out to be a biter and you had to give him back :( it was awesome of you to adopt an older cat, and I'm sorry it did not work out. I hope things with Chester blossom and you guys develop an amazing bond! Male cats are so affectionate and eager to please, and in my experience very social! Good Luck.

I wanted to comment specifically on what you said, about waiting to see if Chester feels lonely, I am assuming if he does, you might adopt another kitten companion?? I have 2 cats, well, they're still kittens. Charlie is about 6 months old, male and fixed, and Jet is 4 months old, female and fixed. I've had them both for about 3 months now. I adopted Charlie first (about 3 weeks before I adopted Jet).

When Charlie was at the shelter, he was actually there with his 2 sisters. He came in with them. All 3 were owner surrenders, and while they were with their prev. owner, it was apparent they were taking care of very well. Not to mention the siblings were VERY close as they played with each other in their kennel, or crate (or whatever it's called). I wanted to adopt him and his sisters, but the girls were adopted by someone else already...and Charlie, I had to take home because I feel like he chose us (me and my boyfriend). Like this cat was sticking his paw out of the cage and trying to grab and swat at us, and when we got close to him he meowed and rubbed up against the cage and was purring....and when we had a one on one session with him, it was over. lol. He was ALL OVER THE PLACE!! not shy at all. jumping around, playing, purring, sniffing us and headbutting us. I swear when we came back the next day to pick him up, he recognized us. Headbutting me the whole way home in the car (i Digress...sorryy....)

Brought Charlie home. He was great. Just like Chester, slept with us the first night home. Very playful, and took care of himself. Nothing to worry about with this little guy. He was very friendly and did not hide from my room mates, he was just a curious kitty and over all friendly towards EVERYONE. However after about two weeks I noticed he was kind of lonely. He would sleep ALL DAY when i was at work, and when I'd come home he'd go crazy wanting to play and cuddle (i'm not complaining) but it seemed like he was lonely. like as if he only did something when I was there..you know? I would leave some kibble for him to munch on through out the day while i was at work, but he wouldn't touch it until I got home. The confirmation came for me when one night he was especially rowdy (as expected with kittens) and i just wanted to get some sleep! i went to youtube and searched for videos on kittens to try and keep him occupied a bit...and as soon as he saw the kittens, he started to rub up against my laptop...he tried to touch them, he started purring instantly! like i wasn't even petting him. I did this a few more times, and that's when i realized he was lonely, he missed his sisters, and that's when we adopted Jet. He missed being with his sisters, and it broke my heart to see him lonely like that...

This might happen with Chester, and it might not. I'm gearing towards mostly not, because he was a stray, and you're not sure how long he was a stray, and if he was alone, but since he was a stray most likely he was alone. So Chester might be a solitary cat. Just keep an eye on him. My Jet, was a former stray cat. So she is the loner type. Right now Jet and Charlie get along REALLY well. Jet loves Charlie and looks upto him, and grooms Charlie when he's asleep (aww). Charlie loves Jet too, but more like an annoying little sister (lol). At first it was kind of tough trying to get them to get along with each other. All Charlie wanted to do was play with Jet, but all Jet wanted was to be left alone. So keep an eye on Chester and see how he does. It will be very easy to tell. As I was able to with Charlie, and with Jet. He might not need or even want a kitty companion.

i wish you luck with Chester! Looking forward to seeing more pics of this cutie :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blighty asks for his tummy to be rubbed. He's such a sweety.
Whisky also doesn't mind having his tummy rubbed either when he's in the mood for stroking.

renstwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lamiatron:

Thank you so much for your response. And congrats on your two little ones!

I really hope he will be ok as a lone cat, but I will adopt a second cat if he shows signs of loneliness. Today is my first night at work since I adopted him four days ago and I hope he is ok at home. I hated to leave him. :-(

I'm a nurse and I work midnights so I usually work three night on and four off. They are 12 hour shifts so I know it's a long time for my little buddy.

I'm doing a trial routine of when I wake up in the afternoon at four I get dressed and ready. Then I have play for 30 vigorous minutes until he is tired. I feed him right before I leave. When I leave I am going to leave him his favorite catnip toy, a toy ball treat thingy, a puzzle toy, and a turbo scratcher. I plan on only leaving these out while I am gone.

When I leave it's about 545 pm and I get home at 8am or a bit before. When I get home it will be playtime with his favorite wand toy and after that breakfast. Then I have to sleep.

It's a tough three days but then I have the rest off. I am considering breaking these up if it may help him while he is younger.

That's what I have planned so far. I feel I have a few months get Chester in a routine and see if he does ok before I jump into another adoption. I have to think about food and medical costs too.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great what you're doing! Giving him lots of time and play. I know it gets hard when u have to go to work, but I'm sure the both of you will fall into a routine quickly. Even tho he's a stray he seems really social, he warmed up to you immediately which is good :)

As much as I love Charlie and Jet, sometimes I regret getting Jet. Of my two cats, she's the stray and the sick one. When I adopted her she was only 8 weeks old, and prior to that she was living in the streets for god knows how long...which can only lead someone to believe she was not with her mama and litter mates long enough, and I started to see the result of just that shortly after adopting her. She was not socialized at all to other people and even cats. Like, Charlie taught her how to use the litter box. And she's always the sick one. Her immune system is weak but she's constantly getting sick over one thing or another, so needless to say vet bills are up there for her. She's a little money out, lol. When adopting an animal I knew there would be expenses, but I honestly was not prepared for Jet. I love her to death and will NEVER abandon her...but getting a second cat, you really do have to consider a lot.

I was SOOOO lucky with Charlie. He seriously is my miracle cat. No troubles with him, no health issues (thank god and knock on wood). He's one of those cats you'd only have to bring to the vet for annual check ups and vaccine boosters. So I figured getting a second cat for Charlie was going to be easy peasy. But jet proved to be different. But in the long run I'm happy I have both, I love them both equally, and I'm happy they have each other. In my case, I HAD to adopt a second cat. Charlie was showing clear and evident signs of being lonely. He was getting to the point where he wasn't eating or playing when I wasn't around, so adopting Jet was necessary for me.

I hope you're able to read Chester and you guys are able to fall into a good schedule with each other. He may be one of those cats that are simply happy being a loner cat. And if u feel like he is lonely and needs a buddy, definitely be prepared for a wild card the second time around. If you really do consider adopting a second cat, in my experience and from what I read here on TheCatSite, I think it's best to adopt whole Chester is young, he will assimilate better to his new mate, and typically someone around the same age, but not older than him, even by a month. I wish U lots and tons of luck :) Lol. I'll post some pics of Charlie and Jet so u can see them! Charlie is the tabby, and Jet is the black kitty.

Charlie's first night home. This little ham. He was 3 months old:

Jet right after she was picked up from the shelter, on our way home. She was 8-10 wks old:

Charlie today, he's almost 6 months old:

Jet today, almost 4 months old:

My lazy babies. Jet always has an eye on me:

They're the best of buds :