Hello, new guy here

kmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. thought i would introduce myself.
im Keith. im from Ontario Canada.
i still live with my parents. we live in the middle of the country with a big yard. there are alot of farms, fields, and bush around. there is one house right next door to the left with other houses to the left down the road, but on the right is just an open field then a big bush. the road down to where i live is stone but then past where i live the road turns to mud with bush on both sides of the road. its nice and quiet with very little traffic.

we have 1 cat named Max. he is all black and male. he is a little over a year old. we got him last summer 2007 as a kitten from the SPCA.
we also have a dog(rottweiler) named Buddy and he is 5 years old. the dog and the cat get along great. the dog has always been a good dog. he spends most of the time inside including all nights and goes outside when he wants. we live in the country with a huge yard so we dont have to tie him up when he goes outside. when the dog wants inside he will use his paw to scratch on the door as if he is knocking. the dog loves people and if anyone comes over he will wag his little tail and want to lick them. we have to sometimes put him in a different room because he just wont leave company alone.
the dog is protective of the cat. if anyone acts like they are going to hurt the cat the dog will get in the way or bark. the dog can also get jealous if people are giving too much attention to the cat, so we try to give alot of love and attention to both the dog and the cat.
the cat is more mine and spends nights inside with me in my room. he has a blanket on the floor that he sleeps on, and occasionally will crawl on the end of my bed. the dog sleeps on the floor of my parents bedroom.
when the dog is outside he will come when called, but the cat doesnt really listen much. when i want the cat to come inside i have to walk around and try to find him. once i do find him he usually will come to me. since we live in the country there are wild animals around and i dont really want him out during the night. there are raccoons that will come right onto the front lawn and eat from the bird feeders, aswell as foxes and coyotes in the bush down the road. there are also other animals like deer, turkeys, and other animals but im not worried about them. there are also other cats from the neighbours. my dad says since he is a male cat he will end up fighting with other cats. my dad was raised in the country on a farm that had numerous cats that stayed outside around the barn, so to him i dont think cats are necessarily seen as pets. to me the dog and the cat are pets but also family.

i have had some bad luck i think i would call it over the last 2+ years. up until the summer 2 years ago i had an orange/white haired cat all my life. it was similar to the cat i have now where it spent most of the time inside with me. then it just got old and sick, stopped eating, and had to be put asleep. that was hard for me, but i still wanted another cat. shortly after that my dad got a kitten off someone he knows. it was black and white. it was very unique the way it was coloured. it was mostly white with black areas similar to that of a holstein cow. it was a male named Sam. then in the late spring/early summer it got sick. its neck area was a little swelled up and we wernt sure why. my dad took him to the vet and i was assuming it was something small and not a big deal, but it ended up he had feline leukemia cancer and had to be put asleep right then. i didnt go with to the vet, so i never even got to say goodbye. that was also tough on me. then a little while after that was when we got the latest cat from the SPCA last summer. coming into this summer i was a little paranoid anytime i thought the cat wasnt acting as i thought he should. even a few weeks ago when he first got a cut on his leg i was worried it was going to turn into something worse even when my dad told me it was just a simple cut and he didnt really want to take him to the vet. unfortunately it was more than just a simple cut, but we did end up taking him to the vet to get antibiotics and pain killer. the cut has healed up nicely and the hair is growing back from where the vet shaved it.

anyway thats something about me and my 2 pets.
i cant say im going to be here often, but its nice to know there is someplace i can come if i have any questions or concerns.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi Keith,

I am so glad that you have joined our community of caring people who love cats. As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name, then send a Private Message. I will get back to you asap.

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
We are so glad you have joined us!

If I can help you with any questions you have about the site, please click on my username and send me a message.