Hello from Connecticut

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.
I just adopted my first cat from a shelter today. He is a 5 year old Tuxedo cat, and he doesn't have a name just yet (I'd love suggestions!).
I brought him home this afternoon and he seems to be doing ok in the bathroom for now. He has eaten some and used the litter box when I was not in the room, and found (and immediatly adopted) his new bed.
He has been sleeping in it pretty much since he's been here, I hope it's nothing to worry about, it's been hours now!
One special thing about him is that he has absolutely no teeth whatsoever. Although he does manage to deat dry food somehow, if anyone here has any advice to give or has had cats without teeth, I'd like to hear from you guys.

Here is when he chose me!
Anxiously waiting to leave the shelter.
Making himself at home (though still a tad worried!)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any name ideas for your or experience with cats with no teeth.  

I just wanted to take a moment to welcome you and your baby to TCS.  Your baby is adorable.  I think it is great that he is eating and using the bathroom already.  He also looks very comfy in his bed.

nickycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wavey: Your new boy is perrfect! As possible name considerations I offer..

* Dixon
* Gideon
* Maxton
* Sandor
* Jaxon

Good luck with you sweet boy and I hope I helped some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any name ideas for your or experience with cats with no teeth.  

I just wanted to take a moment to welcome you and your baby to TCS.  Your baby is adorable.  I think it is great that he is eating and using the bathroom already.  He also looks very comfy in his bed.
Thank you for your warm welcome! He's had a good night although he is meowing quite a bit this morning. Oh my goodness! He is approaching me as I type. He's smelling my leg. [emoji]128512[/emoji]

debbys3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS! 

What a handsome guy you have there, thanks for sharing pictures.

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wavey: Your new boy is perrfect! As possible name considerations I offer..

* Dixon
* Gideon
* Maxton
* Sandor
* Jaxon

Good luck with you sweet boy and I hope I helped some.
Thank you for the suggestions, I like Jaxon! [emoji]10084[/emoji]

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS mommasboy mommasboy !!

Congratulations on the adoption of your little man! He's adorable and sounds like he's doing amazingly well in adapting to his forever home. I love the photo of him in his new bed [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
I don't have any personal experience with a cat with no teeth but did a search of TCS articles (tons of cat related articles in the "articles" tab) and found this article:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/can-cats-manage-without-their-teeth

Thanks for joining us. Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions or concerns. Please feel free to participate in any of our threads and keep us posted on how you and your boy are getting along [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lizamcm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like Puck. A mischievous sprite in literature but also a reference to hockey which calls to mind tooothless players... lol

He is a beautiful boy though... teeth or no! He also kind of looks like a finnigan to me, dunno why...

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like Puck. A mischievous sprite in literature but also a reference to hockey which calls to mind tooothless players... lol

He is a beautiful boy though... teeth or no! He also kind of looks like a finnigan to me, dunno why...
Haha! Puck is such a great idea!

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS mommasboy mommasboy !!

Congratulations on the adoption of your little man! He's adorable and sounds like he's doing amazingly well in adapting to his forever home. I love the photo of him in his new bed [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
I don't have any personal experience with a cat with no teeth but did a search of TCS articles (tons of cat related articles in the "articles" tab) and found this article:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/can-cats-manage-without-their-teeth

Thanks for joining us. Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions or concerns. Please feel free to participate in any of our threads and keep us posted on how you and your boy are getting along [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Thabk you very much for your warm welcome! People seem so nice here!
My boy is adapting very well. He came for a couple of petting sessions yesterday and purred really loudly both times. I decided to slightly open the bathroom window and the brave little guy ventured out to check the place. I stayed in the bathroom fo let him do it on his own as he is still scared of me when I stand up and will walk away to go to his current favorite spot/safe place (top of the stackable waher and drier). He also discovered my bed and came up there when I was on it. He stayed for a little while, but did not join me this night. I am super happy with how he is adjusting, but I am a little worried as I have to take him to the vet today. I want him to get checked and have some questions for the vet regarding his prescription diet and possible allergies. He has also started sneezing so it's best to take him, but I am worried he won't let me take him easily. It might set us a little back, but it is necessary. Hopefully all is well with him.
I am down to 3 names: Marvin (we live on Marvin beach) or Mr Huxley (the name of a character in the book I have been reading to him to help us bond), and Harvey (just cause I like it [emoji]128521[/emoji]).

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree...I love all three names...especially Mr. Huxley and Harvey. Good luck with the vet visit. Try to be calm when you go to get him into the carrier. Cat's sense and feed off your emotions so the calmer you are, the calmer he will be. You are right that getting him checked out and established with a vet is a smart idea. He might not be happy about it but will settle down quickly once he is back home with you [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

opieandspuds

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's a beauty, love the cat bed! I brought my 2 kittens to the vet on Monday. I'd just purchased a cat carrier a few days prior and left it open for them to crawl in and out of...by the time we went to the vet there was no problem getting them in for travel and the vet techs had no problem with them either, could have been pure luck though! Good luck to you!

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little update: Mr Huxley did not make any fuss to go in the carrier. He was a good boy. Not a fan of the vet, but he has gone through so much with his complete teeth extraction, I don't blame him!
He has a little cold, but the vet says he should be fine as long as there are no discharges.
He is adjusting well and I left him alone for the first time today to go to work. He puked on the carpet, but it's probably a combination of eating too fast without chewing his kibbles and maybe a little stress.
He seems to be doing fine now using my neck for a pillow! [emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy that you and Mr. Huxley made it to the vet and back ok! By the way, secretly Mr. Huxley was my favorite name out of your final list [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

My Kitty sometimes re-gurgitates her food when she eats to fast. To help reduce the chance of the happening, I do two things:

1. Raise her food dish. You can either get a raised food dish or simply put his current dish on a stack of a couple of hardcover books. I ended up buying this cute dish:

2. Try smaller, more frequent portions. This has really helped. You can purchase timed feeders to set to open during the day/evening if you are away from home for long hours.

opieandspuds

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little update: Mr Huxley did not make any fuss to go in the carrier. He was a good boy. Not a fan of the vet, but he has gone through so much with his complete teeth extraction, I don't blame him!
He has a little cold, but the vet says he should be fine as long as there are no discharges.
He is adjusting well and I left him alone for the first time today to go to work. He puked on the carpet, but it's probably a combination of eating too fast without chewing his kibbles and maybe a little stress.
He seems to be doing fine now using my neck for a pillow! [emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]
Good to hear!!

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy that you and Mr. Huxley made it to the vet and back ok! By the way, secretly Mr. Huxley was my favorite name out of your final list [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

My Kitty sometimes re-gurgitates her food when she eats to fast. To help reduce the chance of the happening, I do two things:

1. Raise her food dish. You can either get a raised food dish or simply put his current dish on a stack of a couple of hardcover books. I ended up buying this cute dish:

2. Try smaller, more frequent portions. This has really helped. You can purchase timed feeders to set to open during the day/evening if you are away from home for long hours.
Thank you for the advice! I already got him an elevated feeding station thingy for his water and food, but if it's something that happens frequently I'll definitely look into the time feeder. Hopefully it was just "first day alone" nerves. He was clearly puzzled by this different early morning routine. He meowed the whole time I was getting ready.

mommasboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mr Huxley regurgitated his food again this morning. The weird thing is he always eats fast, but only throws up in the morning. Any idea why that is? He has dry food in the morning (and throughout the day) and wet food before I go to bed at night.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mr Huxley regurgitated his food again this morning. The weird thing is he always eats fast, but only throws up in the morning. Any idea why that is? He has dry food in the morning (and throughout the day) and wet food before I go to bed at night.
Hmmm...a few things come to mind:
1. Mr. Huxley could still be adjusting to his new home and schedule. Cats are very sensitive little beings [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
2. Is the dry food the same as what he was eating at the shelter? If not, you might want to call them and find out what they were feeding him and get some of the same brand. It could be an intolerance to the diet change. Dry food change typically requires a slow transition to a new dry food and even then Mr. Huxley could have an intolerance to something in the brand you are feeding him
3. What time does he get his last meal of the day? I'm wondering if Mr. Huxley is extremely hungry in the morning and when combined with eating fast is making him regurgitate? I ran into a similar issue with my girl so to combat this I give her a small snack right before bed and split her breakfast into two small meals to control how fast she ate (one before I take a shower before work and one just before I leave for work).

You might try a meal of canned food in the morning to see if that makes a difference? It make take some trial and error to find the right combination that works for Mr. Huxley but just be observant with what happens and when and hopefully it will iron out.

nickycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine tend to regurgitate food if they are expelling a hairball. Is there a mass of fur within the food being thrown up ?