Heidi's Socialization: When Is It Ok To Introduce A New Cat

Watersign

My name is Buddy. I am love.
Kitten
Purraise
A month ago, I stopped waffling and decided to get involved with my local cat rescue group and took in a 2-year-old feral that was in dire straits physically and extreme distress mentally. She was trapped and taken into the local shelter, was very pregnant, and terrified of humans. She was starving, weighing 8.5 pounds at near term of her pregnancy. After 3 or 4 days of being in the shelter, she gave birth to 4 kittens, 3 of whom were stillborn. She rejected the 4th, I believe due to her being so traumatized at being caught, caged, and touched, then the pain and stress of what was possibly her first labor. The newborn was taken by another rescue group, but this little girl was in shock and completely paralyzed with fear when I went to pick her up.
My office had already been set up as "The Cat Room", with my computer desk on one side (which places me with my back to her) and a large tree on the other, situated in front of a big window, so it was the perfect place for her. I left her alone for the most part for the first 48 hours or so, inside her carrier with the door open. I set out food and water for her, refreshing it 3 times a day. She refused all of it except for the broths. On the third day, she began to eat solid food. She also began to explore the tree and found refuge between the top of the "house" and the bottom of the top platform. She is 6 pounds now, and squeezes nicely into the space, which is right at my eye level when standing. This has become her "safe spot".
The first week was spent calling for her kittens and trying to figure out how to get out the window once she started moving around more. The trauma was finally lessening. She began letting me touch her as long as she was in her safe spot. We both discovered that belly rubs were really nice. They still are, but after a month, can be enjoyed on top of the platform instead of hiding beneath it.
Two weeks ago, I took her in for shots and spay, and she was pronounced free of disease and parasites. The ordeal was terrifying for her. I was so sure I was going to have to start back at the beginning with her. To my complete surprise, instead of staying at the back of her carrier on the ride home, she came to the door and stayed as close to me as she could. Such a great little girl.
We have come a long way in a month, and she is really trying hard. She's still terrified of hands: one hand is mostly okay, but two hands means flight. She hates to be picked up, so I just don't do it. I do have a family member bring her a meal now and then, but for the most part, I am her only contact. I've started leaving the door to her room open now, and she has started to very carefully explore the rest of the house. She would not play with the toys in the room, and in fact, did not know what they were until two days ago, when she finally figured it out and started playing some during her waking hours. She still won't play with a wand and feather with me holding it. Last night was the first night that she jumped up on my bed and checked out the space. I believe this was more just to see where I was. She decided not to stay and went back to her room and her hammock on the tree, which has become her favorite place to sleep, and finally, groom. Again, not hiding! Progress.
I'm wondering if it would be ok to introduce a new kitten into her world. I believe if she hadn't been so completelly traumatized at the time of the birth of her kittens she would not have rejected the one that wasn't stillborn. I'm wondering if observing a trusting interaction between me and another cat could bolster her confidence and help with her trust issues. I know it's going to take a lot of time before she's not "slinking" when she moves through the house, but she has all the time in the world as far as I'm concerned. I will eventually bring a kitten into the house, and possibly two. However, I don't have a lot of experience with multiple cats, and her situation is unique. I don't think she will ever socialize to the point where she can be adopted out, but then again, you never know. Still, I feel like it would be a terrible blow to the trust she has already given me, and I don't think I can bring myself to betray that. So, I'm taking my time with her now, and I think she will be fine here. I'm just not sure how to know when to bring in another cat or two. I'm afraid if I bring one in too soon, she will stop interacting with me completely and focus solely on the new kitten, and possibly even cause her to reject human contact. Or, on the other hand, if I wait too long, that boundaries will be set to the point that she will not accept the new kitty. I realize this is a "just have to wait and see how she does" situation, that all cats are different and will react according to who they are, but I'd love to hear some others' experiences and maybe get a feel for signs and signals. So far, I've relied on instinct and my love of cats to guide me, and it seems to be working well. The "multiple cat" thing is new to me though, and I would like to do what I can to make sure it's a successful integration.
I love the articles here and wish I had found them sooner. I read the one on taking in strays and ferals just today, and was gratified in knowing that my instincts seem to be on the right track so far.

I'd love to hear others' experiences and welcome all advice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: And congratulations on the progress you've made with (does she have a name yet?). :bouquet: Really to come that far in only a month is pretty miraculous. I wonder if she is actually a former house pet? Strays can turn somewhat feral once they're deserted and left to survive on their own.

So sorry about the kittens that were stillborn, and the one she rejected. Thankfully she didn't have them outside all alone, and the one little kitten was saved.

About you getting a kitten, I'm not the one to advise, as I've only ever had one cat at a time, and have no feral experience.

I have read, though, that once a second cat comes into the home, sometimes the first cat spends less time with their human, as they now have a feline friend. Of course, the opposite can happen too, and the resident cat can hate the newbie.

The one thing I can tell you, is that keeping the new cat separated from the resident cat, and slowly doing introductions gives you the best chance of them becoming friends. Occasionally 2 strange cats hit it off right away, but that doesn't happen often.

You mention reading some of our articles, so you may have already seen these, but I'll post them anyway, in case you may have missed any.

Continued good luck with your former feral. Keep us updated on her progress. And do post pics of her, if you can.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference | TheCatSite
Handling Feral Cats | TheCatSite
Adopting A Stray Cat | TheCatSite
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty | TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite
The Multi-cat Household | TheCatSite

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I'm wondering if observing a trusting interaction between me and another cat could bolster her confidence and help with her trust issues. I know it's going to take a lot of time before she's not "slinking" when she moves through the house, but she has all the time in the world as far as I'm concerned. I will eventually bring a kitten into the house, and possibly two. However, I don't have a lot of experience with multiple cats, and her situation is unique. I don't think she will ever socialize to the point where she can be adopted out, but then again, you never know. Still, I feel like it would be a terrible blow to the trust she has already given me, and I don't think I can bring myself to betray that. So, I'm taking my time with her now, and I think she will be fine here. I'm just not sure how to know when to bring in another cat or two. I'm afraid if I bring one in too soon, she will stop interacting with me completely and focus solely on the new kitten, and possibly even cause her to reject human contact. Or, on the other hand, if I wait too long, that boundaries will be set to the point that she will not accept the new kitty. I realize this is a "just have to wait and see how she does" situation, that all cats are different and will react according to who they are, but I'd love to hear some others' experiences and maybe get a feel for signs and signals. So far, I've relied on instinct and my love of cats to guide me, and it seems to be working well. The "multiple cat" thing is new to me though, and I would like to do what I can to make sure it's a successful integration. ...
Thank you for taking this cat in! It sounds like you are doing great! She's slowly building up her security with you :hearthrob:

(my excerpts in blue^) -- I just want to clarify... is it more in your mind to basically foster her to eventually be adopted out to a new home? or are you thinking of adopting Heidi to be her forever human?

Like rubysmama rubysmama , I only have experience with single cat households << but there are so many here at TCS that can help with multi-cat households and give their good advice for this stage in your kitty's socialization -- and rubysmama gave you so many links to read, too! I think in order to help you with learning new clues, signs, signals and behaviors, it's best to hear from and read about both single-cat households and multi-cat ones. And seeing how well you are doing with her so far, I also think you have great instincts, as you said.
:cheerleader:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off Welcome to TC and thank you for rescuing Heidi. She most likely is a stray that was left outside and she developed feral like tendencies. A month is a really quick time for a true feral to except humans and inside living. Well done working with her and giving her a home.

I have brought in multiple feral and feral/stray cats throughout the years. Right now I have 6 cats (3 are former true ferals, 2 are stray/ferals and the last one was a rescue from the Humane Society). A multi cat household can certainly have its challenges. Cats are very territorial and welcoming a new one cat present challenges. Some cats will get along great right from the start while others may take a long time. My cats have been all over the place. Some have adjusted to other cats very quickly and others have taken more than a year. So much depends on all of the cats personalities. It's also just like humans, you like some people and not others.

Cat to cat introductions is a good place to start. Taking things very very slowly too. Read and above articles and you will be off to a great start!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Watersign

Kitten
Purraise
20190531_082216.jpg

Heidi in her safe spot.

Thank you all so much for the positive responses! I'm so happy to have found you all!

I made the decision to work with my local cat rescue group last month, and Heidi is my first foster. I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work, and I need to sit down with my group contact and see what my options are. I intended originally to foster this little girl until she was happy and healthy and mentally ready to be able to handle the change. This involves carrying her to a Pet Smart about 40 minutes from me and putting her in a cage for a day, maybe two, while I stay with her and talk about her to interested possible cat parents. She still has a long way to go before she's ready for that, and I will be there with her through whatever it takes. And, that being said, I've decided to wait on bringing in another cat until much later. I think she really needs the one on one. I think I do, too. I guess I just needed to talk about it.

Putting her through that Pet Smart ordeal is asking an awful lot of her, even if she does settle eventually. Shadowrescue, I tend to believe that you are right in thinking she is a stray rather than a true feral. Who knows what happened to her before ended up giving birth in the shelter? It breaks my heart to think that she may come so far only to have the trust she's put in me betrayed. I don't think I can do that to her, and I'm going to find out what adopting her does to my status as a foster mom. She doesn't need to be moved around, and this is a pretty good place for her.

Others speak of adopting multiple rescues. I can probably do that as well. Nice to hear from folks who are old hands at this stuff!

<3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Watersign

Kitten
Purraise
Rubysmama, I see that you also suggested Heidi might have been someone's abandoned house pet as well. I just wanted to thank you and acknowledge that. I missed that somehow before. Thanks for all the great links! I won't be lacking for reading material over the next few days!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. :lovecat:

I'm going to find out what adopting her does to my status as a foster mom. She doesn't need to be moved around, and this is a pretty good place for her.
Hopefully they'll be ok with you adopting her, then continuing to foster other cats. I suspect the need for fosters is great enough that they wouldn't want to turn you away.

BTW, there's a term mentioned around here quite often: "failed foster"/"foster failure". ;) Though for the fostered cat that got a fur-ever home, I doubt it would ever be considered a failure. :petcat::heartshape::catlove:

Rubysmama, I see that you also suggested Heidi might have been someone's abandoned house pet as well. I just wanted to thank you and acknowledge that. I missed that somehow before.
No worries. I "did" afterall miss Heidi's name. :rolleyes:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a little late to the party -- -and I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this thread (I hope you are - - if for no other reason than that I hope you keep us updated on Heidi! She's SUCH a cutie!).

I just really wanted to say SO glad you found this site - and this forum!! It's an amazing place full of people who who have lots of experience in so many cat-related situations (many situations similar to yours), and everyone's so willing to give advice, answer questions, or just lend a shoulder to lean on. I've got years (more than I want to admit) of experience in working at/volunteering for/fostering & socializing & rehabilitating for shelters (I even spent a few years rehabilitating for a wildlife shelter - - if you have any squirrel questions :) ), and TNRing/socializing ferals, adult and kitten, when possible. And despite all my experience - - - I depend often on this wonderful site and its amazing members to keep me sane! So I'm SOOOO happy you're here! There's also SO much info in the articles gathered in that portion of the site ( rubysmama rubysmama pointed you toward some good ones here already).

And as everyone's noted - - - you're doing such a wonderful, selfless thing in taking in Heidi during such a difficult time in her life. My guess too is that she's not truly feral. I think she was either someone's cat early in her life (whether an indoor cat, outdoor cat, or a combo), as she wouldn't likely have come around as much as she has so quickly (I know it feels like it's slow to you) - - and that she's been forced to be on her own for some time, which, in and of itself is quite traumatic. Obviously she wasn't fending for herself (and her kittens) food-wise well at all. And poor thing - she would have had no idea why she was suddenly on her own :sigh:. You're right to recognize that she's been through so much already - - even healthy, well-adjusted cats often have a very hard time mentally when taken to a shelter. It's a shock to their system (I always say "how would you like it if you were grabbed and dropped into a cage in a building you didn't know, with people and cats you didn't know, and no one could explain what you'd "done wrong" to be there!).

The Pet Smart adoption system where they work with shelters is a WONDERFUL thing - - but it's best for kitties who are very socialized and outgoing, as they'll be "on display" and picked up and put into strange hands over and over again. For frightened cats who still need socialization work, it's often a bit better than a shelter since they're not surrounded by dozens of other cats (and other animals), but it really is tough on a kitty like Heidi.

And so is losing her kittens - - she just doesn't understand. There are varying opinions on bringing in other kittens to help soothe a mother who's suddenly lost her kittens. My personal thought? She's got enough to focus on in getting to know you, and getting comfortable. And while I usually DO think having more than one is a GREAT idea, this case is special. If you add a kitten to the mix, you suddenly introduce a variable where new things can go wrong (of course, it can go right - - but often it's another thing to factor in for her to worry about). Biologically, moms like her usually do stop crying and looking for them within a few weeks, or at least at that time her worry about them starts to slow down, and eventually she moves on. In my experience - she'll be easier to socialize if it's just her. Plus, if it DOES work, and she loves this new kitten, if you don't keep her, she'll end up being separated again from a kitten she'd bonded with, which I would worry might start mental issues for her over again. So I would probably just stick with her for the moment - - - focus all your love and effort on her - - -she'll come to truly love it!!!!!

Plus it sounds like she's doing beautifully with you, and if you can keep fostering her (or even end up adopting her as a "failed foster" - - - as rubysmama rubysmama brought up). Many of us have adopted fosters in the past for various reasons (we knew they'd likely have to go back to square one socialization-wise if they went back to a shelter, or we just fell so in love with them after working so hard socializing them, and so on and so on. :) )We currently have 1 (Bowie- my avatar), but have had up to 5 "failed fosters!"). If she ends up a "failed foster" - - it's a badge of endearment!

Sorry so long (I swore this one I could keep short - - - I should know better!) - - -but I hope you can update more on Heidi soon! And don't worry about the shelter never using you as a foster again - - -most shelters are so desperate for fosters, they'd never say "you did so well with Heidi that we never want you back!"