Or are you on it?
I started on saturday and haven't lost any weight

If you have any expierence of it have you any hints or advice
or a secret store of carbs I can have, I would be greatful

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weight Watchers is a much healthier way to go. And the weight stays off. With Atkins, its easy to lose it, and very easy to gain it back.

jason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend did the atkins diet for a while and lost some weight quickly. As soon as she stopped, it all came back. Weight watchers is pretty good if you want to sit around counting points all day. It's good at getting you accustomed to smaller portions of food because if you want it to be accurate you must measure your food.

The old fashion way of putting down the cheesburger and getting some decent excersize works for me.

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was on it and it made me sick, kinda nauseated all the time and and the worst headache I have ever had! I know people that have been on it and lost weight but they cant seem to stay on it for very long. Its just not for me, I know that!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex husband's girlfriend was on Atkins for a few weeks. She happened to go to the doctor and was told her liver functions were all out of whack.

Mark down another vote for Weight Watchers. Makes you very conscious of the things you eat, and teaches you about making healthier choices.

pythagorus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Atkins diet can be really dangerous. I know someone who's boss was on the diet and he has a heart attack. You should be really careful witht that, and check with a doctor if you feel faint or odd.

jmvito

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not an advocate of any commercial diet.

I lost 58 pounds simply by making better choices, and excerising more. That was over 2 years ago, and the weight has stayed off.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Atkins once and lost weight pretty quickly. But it took about 5-6 days to start seeing it come off. With Atkins, the trick is following their maintenance diet and introducing the right carbs back into your diet slowly.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by jmvito
I'm not an advocate of any commercial diet.

I lost 58 pounds simply by making better choices, and excerising more. That was over 2 years ago, and the weight has stayed off.
That's really impressive. Most people aren't willing to exercise and eat smarter at the same time. It's too bad those high protein diets produce short term results, because people fall for it to no end. However, they will get fatter than they were when they stop and continuing that diet for the rest of your life is dangerous. Among other things, it lacks in fibre, fruit and vegetables that help us stay healthy.

Atkins got a heart attack while on his own diet, but of course he denys that it had anything to do with his diet plan. (http://edition.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/d...5/atkins.diet/) I think the best doctor that has any bit of public prescence is Dr. Mirkin (www.drmirkin.com) He also seems like a very moral and honest person. It's unfortunate that he's not as well known as the guys selling snake oil.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been told that the South Beach Diet is a healtier version of Atkins.. Still has the two week induction but I guess it preaches smarter eating rather that just anything w/o sugar.

My mom went on Atkins a few years ago because her doctor suggested it, and she lost a lot of weight. Currently she's sorta half on half off but doesn't eat junk food so she never gained the weight back..

If you ever wonder about recipies there are a lot of low carb sites on the net.. My favorite recipe site of the moment is http://www.recipezaar.com/ because it breaks the recipes down into different categories, such as low fat or low carb.. There are also many ways to make low carb treats so it's not total deprivation. I however cannot personally stand being without bread, so I'm trying to get rid of refined sugar which I heard also produces results if not as dramatic. I now eat wheat bread instead of white bread and stuff like that. Today I ate chocolate pudding, but shhh, don't tell anyone!!

jmvito

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend, 42 years old, is about 80 pounds overweight. She has a family history of heart disease and hypertension. I've been after her for 2 years now to PLEASE loose some weight. I told her I didn't want to loose her to a heart attack! She got angry with me and hung up on me! Well, she was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol and triglycerides, and the doctor put her on cholesterol-lowering medication and sternly warned her. She is convinced the Atkin's diet is the ticket. It concerns me because it's a high protien diet, and as you pointed out, lacking in fruits and vegetables. I know she's chosen this diet because it allows her to eat the meat she's so fond of eating. I told her the diet makes no sense for her whatsoever. Why would someone trying to reduce her cholesterol choose a diet high in meat? She's lost 10 pounds and I'm very proud of her but, I'm afraid that she's going to gain it back in no time.

From my experience, loosing weight and keeping it off is more than a mere diet. It's a whole lifestyle change. It's important to know how to properly loose weight and maintain the weight loss for years to come.

Like Annabelle, I greatly (near totally) reduced my refined sugar intake. I also reduced the amounts of starchy foods I ate. Instead of white bread, I eat whole grain wheat bread. I also eat low-fat dairy products. I increased the amount of fresh veggies and fruits. I eat 1 apple before each meal to take the edge off so I don't overeat. I allow myself a treat, like sherbert, or a popsicle. But I controlled my will. When I felt like a snack, I eat grapes or carrots instead, or something equally healthful. I'm badly hypoglycemic and found this approach stabilized my blood sugars so they are near normal any time they're tested.
My last physical, my cholesterol was 53 and my triglycerides in the 40's. My doctor was quite impressed. (So was I to be honest.)

I read that your plate should be filled with 1/4 starch food, 1/4 meat, and 1/2 vegetable. I follow this philosophy and have had great success. I didn't weigh myself either. I took my measurements once a week and judged my progress by how I felt and how my clothes fit. There were some mornings I woke up and literally felt lighter! It was an awesome feeling and quite encouraging to me.

Sorry I've rambled. I just had such great success with my lifestyle change, that I can't help but to share it with others when the subject comes up.

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pro-Atkins.

People say, "Atkins is great but as soon as you stop you'll gain it back." The thing is.. you aren't supposed to go back to eating badly.

You aren't supposed to consume mass amounts of sugars, and induction (20gms of carbs a day) only lasts for two weeks. After that you increase your carb intake slowly, and you are supposed to eat the HEALTHY carbs.

I started the Atkins diet a month ago and lost 25 lbs. I'm no longer on induction, but I'm not back to eating the horrible foods that I was eating before either. I have a balanced meal now, more veggies and less pastas and rice etc.

I also exercise as well. The Atkins isn't a diet, its a way of eating, and yes it is unhealthy to eat all protein and no carbs. Atkins does NOT preach that.. it preaches eating lots and lots of vegetables and only a small amount of protein. Eating more protein than veggies and fat on the Atkins can actually slow your weightloss.

I've been "off" of the induction for about a week and I'm still losing weight. I'm also consuming about 80-95 grams of carbs a day, and exercising daily.

No diet works if you do it half-assed, and exercising is the biggest key to losing inches. Combined exercise and healthy eating will produce the best and fastest result with out a doubt.

I have family that has lost over 150lbs on the Atkins diet. That was 2 years ago and she still hasn't gained any of it back. She's actually toning her body and looks much like a woman you'd see on a fitness magazine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice everyone.
Cassandra_starr thats great, good for you.
That was the kind of reply I was looking for. Lets hope I am just as successful

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie - wow, that sounds interesting. I stopped eating bread, after I ran out of vegemite
which is a mixed blessing, because I lost 4 pounds.

Cassie - could you tell me what good carbs are and what bad carbs (in terms of food) because I am a carb addict.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its most definitly all about life style change. I started Weight Watchers in March 2002. I Lost 35 lbs and was able to keep it off without counting points afterward. I learned how to make better choices, to exercise more, to eat more veggies...etc etc.

I look at Weight Watchers as a training program. You learn so much about food, you become a nutritional expert! I still struggle at times, in fact I'm trying to lose another 10 or 15, and its hard. But I don't think that any diet that restricts any food group can be healthy. Its all about moderation.

And exercise!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to mention, I joined the gym 2 days ago - Jake and I thought we would have a look around the gym and that day was really lucky because they were having a couples special for a low price if paid in full, and they allow for 4 payments.

I plan to work with a personal trainer to see if they can help me as well.

Jake will be working from 330 til midnight which means I will be cooking less big meals as I hate to cook for one, so hopefully I can plan salads, etc.

lau77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I lost 15 lbs i like it it si hard at first becouse you crave carbes but if you drnk alot of water and eat the 20 carbs for the first 2 weeks its is good you can go on atkins.com and it has recipes and stuff you can eat some heakth food stores sell atkins food

louse76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jmvito

It concerns me because it's a high protien diet, and as you pointed out, lacking in fruits and vegetables.
This is inaccurate information. You can eat all of the vegetables you want, just not starchy ones like potatoes.