Has anyone tried the Emery Cat scratching board?

malama popoki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an Emery Cat scratching pad. I got it at my local pet store, it said "as seen on TV.."

My cats use it a little, but I think they prefer their regular cardboard horizontal scratchers to this one.  Also, I don't notice a difference in the length of their claws.  I don't think it really works to "sand them down"..  Still need to have them trimmed monthly.

catman83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Rozko loves his. I didn't experience any of the bad customer service that some you mentioned but those post where older so maybe they stepped their game up? I order mine from http://ecatscratchingpost.com/  and had amazing service and ship time. 

I am new here as you see, I can't wait to get to know some of you guys and chit chat and I need to post some pictures of my Rozko (if that is allowed?)!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat Rozko loves his. I didn't experience any of the bad customer service that some you mentioned but those post where older so maybe they stepped their game up? I order mine from http://ecatscratchingpost.com/ and had amazing service and ship time. 

I am new here as you see, I can't wait to get to know some of you guys and chit chat and I need to post some pictures of my Rozko (if that is allowed?)!!
Welcome to TCS. :wavey: I you introduce yourself in the New Cats on the Block forum a lot more people will get to know you. We have a forum Fur PIctures and Videos Only! We l-o-o-o-o-o-v-e pictures.

dottiek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In a word ( it sucks) it does not file your cats nails at all if anything it sharpens them and it makes a huge mess, your cat will tear it apart and leave little chunks of cardboard all over your house. I would steer clear of this one.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a word ( it sucks) it does not file your cats nails at all if anything it sharpens them
Your problem is that you are misunderstanding the point of scratching. Cat claws grow in layers, so when the outside layer gets dull, they can shed it and have sharp claws for hunting. When cats scratch a scratching post or the emery cat board, they are forcefully tearing the top layer off so that they have working weapons for hunting.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your problem is that you are misunderstanding the point of scratching. Cat claws grow in layers, so when the outside layer gets dull, they can shed it and have sharp claws for hunting. When cats scratch a scratching post or the emery cat board, they are forcefully tearing the top layer off so that they have working weapons for hunting.
Actually it's the Emery Cat Board makers who are "missing the point" of why cats scratch. The emery claims to "file" the claws. DottieK is right, it's worthless.

liz1388

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
QUOTE:

Frosti64 said: "We ordered 2. [deletia] We tried to donate them to our local VET but they said to just throw them away because of complaints about of the boards pulling out cats nails.

[deletia]

Not wishing to sound critical as I'm new here.  I was searching the web for advice on cat scratching items.   This response to the thread caught my eye.  I have not used the Emery Board scratcher so can't attest to the value or usefulness.

Unlike human nails, cat's claws are actually extensions of their leg/paw bones, I really don't think a scratcher can "pull them out".  Possibly the commenter misunderstood what the vet said?  

Claws can get caught in things; get pulled *on*.  (A reason why it is important to examine climbing and scratching posts for staples or other metal materials used to fasten carpet or sisal, etc.)   This can result in a painful yank,  breakage below the quick or damage to surrounding soft tissue.  But never being pulled *out*.

That said, if this scratcher is catching on the claws too tightly, I doubt any cat would use it.  I looked the Emery Cat up on Amazon where it got only two and a half stars.  However, the criticisms was about lack of stability and construction -  tips over easily and falls apart.  From experience I know cats don't like wobbly or unstable surfaces of any kind, let alone scratching ones.  In the wild, they use the trunks of trees for scratching, so that tells you what kind of general positions and solidity they prefer.  

Could not find close up photos of the EmeryCat surface and the page description refers to it as "patented abrasive . . . surface".   Another description calls it "honeycomb".   Makes me think it may be just dense, corrugated cardboard? as is available on a lot of other cat scratchers now. 

Perhaps a purchaser could enlighten us as to the makeup of the actual, Emery Cat scratching surface?

THAT GOT LONG, BUT IN CASE YOU ARE STILL READING:

Just to add my personal experiences. I purchased these two items my cat actually likes: Pet Fusion Cat Scratcher Lounge, and a sturdy, leaning, sisal wrapped board on a carpeted base.  (I am not including links because I'm not shilling for these 2 products.  They work for my cat, but are pricey.)

I have also purchased a door hanger - discovered I had no good place to hang it.   A slanted box with cardboard insert and toy on a spring that you assemble yourself - just too flimsy, no stability.  My advice - don't get suckered into buying those for any but a small kitten.

I would shop around in pet stores where you can see and touch.  Take note of solidness of base - remember the tree.  I bought the leaning one since the top end can be up against the chair she liked to scratch.

OK, I've nattered on enough.  I will rec a product or material for keeping cats from scratching furniture: clear, plastic double stick tape or sheets.  (It is important to keep them from starting to scratch since scratching is also a territorial marking behavior.  They leave some kind of scent (possibly from sweat glands) that we can't smell but they can.  This draws them back to the same spots.  

You can buy this just for cats at pet stores, where I got mine, or find some wide, double stick tape or sheets (like for laminating).  Not sure if the latter is cheaper, I failed to shop around :{.  But the tape I bought keeps my cat off of furniture and is unobtrusive.  

tuxedo-felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Exact same thing happened to me.  I still have the other three in original package that I did not want!  My opinion is that they are nothing but pure junk anyway.  My cat would not go near the thing.  BIG waste of money.  Luckily I paid via PayPal so I got my money back, but the scammers never sent me the return info, in fact I never heard from them at all.  My advice, go to a real pet store and buy a decent scratching post!

doreet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes,watch out, a friend of mine went and bought me a supposed catScratcher, and I opened it up, and it was all made of cardboard! I didn't have the patience to tell her to take it back and get me my money back. I gave up on it. I also saw those ads on line, for the "Emery cat" and had the same trouble trying to get it ordered. I never got it. It's supposed to be at Walmart, and I give up on it. I'll just take my To the stupid that, see how she does it, and if I have to give her, the That is, tranquilizers, to cut the damn nails, I can do that. Just kidding.

No, I'll just take her to the vet, and also maybe get some very rough sandpaper, and put it up on the table legs where she likes to scratch. Let her scratch the sandpaper herself! Those hardware stores know what they're doing.

To be perfectly honest I have had the worst problem with most CAT PRODUCTS, that I have bought. I bought the stuff  that you put on your cat, and she supposed to lick it off, to prevent fu

r balls from hearts, and my cat hates it, and can't even lick it off her body. So much for that; and somehow Amazon.com sent me about 4 to 6 tubes of it! Last time I buy anything from them unless I just by one object.and the last time I buy any cat goo, the cat is supposed to lick off itself! You know what my cat likes? BUTTER – extra-virgin olive oil! – CREAM CHEESE, the low-fat kind! She does not like hartzs products!I was advised to put olive oil, on my Dry food, and she would stop having hairballs.

CAT PRODUCTS STINK! They just don't work!

I have had the hairball medicine not work, I have had the toys not work constantly, breakdown, scare my cat to death, and clunk out after being used once. None of the toys I have found, for cats, are the least bit of fun for them, nor do they like them. I tried all of the stuff – I'm sorry I did. My cat likes BIG BROWN PAPER BAGS, and she had a well-made cloth mouse, that had a squeaker in it which is now broken. She loved it! And now I can't find another one like it! They all supposedly have cat nip in, and the cat doesn't like any of them. (Incidentally, if you get cat nip, try to get very good quality catnip that has not been processed very much. If you can, go to health food stores, or "alternative health food" or "alternative pet medicine, or alternative Products".)

I don't think the major producers of pet toys and catnip are doing much of a good job anymore. All of their products STINK.the best cat toys are usually homemade. Anyhow, I have been completely discouraged by all the pet products producers and manufacturers, and I'm ready to give them a big fat F. They really really stink.however, this could be a result of all manufactured goods having gone down in QUALITY, ALL TOGETHER.

If any of us are having trouble with Products like the Emery cat, and its sellers, and the manufacturers and producers of all these Products, you can put it down to worldwide manufacturing quality going right into the toilet. Because it's the same way with all of the human products also. They just don't work, they are junk, they cost a lot of money, and they are a bunch of CRAP.   oh yes, and it's all made in China, and it's usually CHINESE CRAP.Americans are not much better, if they do make anything over here, I have found that it is also a bunch of CRAP.

I apologize for the rant about  Cat Products; I also apologize for the rant about GLOBAL HUMAN PRODUCTS being junk. However, it's true and a lot of us are so frustrated, we hang onto our old appliances, and our old tools, out of extreme fear  that we will be forced into buying NEW STUFF that will not work and will just wear out really fast. Because that's the way it's happening. So I guess some of it should start thinking about inventing good Products, and selling them to our friends exclusively. I guess I should, with a really well-made mouse, that squeaks very well.

Last edited:

warren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, who will be 18 this weekend, loves it.  I am disappointed that you can't get them in store anymore.  I found they work great.  For a cat, like mine, whom doesn't go outside at all anymore except for when we go out with her, her claws get super long.  Trimming her nails is NOT an option.  You can ask her vet.

The problem with the scratcher is that she uses only the edge of it, not the middle hump, so the rest of it goes to waste, but I find it works when she uses it.

And if a cat's claws were to be ripped out as I saw mentioned, then hers definitely would, but never had an issue.  Not saying it never happened, and my cat scratches hard on it too.

She doesn't scratch furniture as much anymore but her claws get stuck in fabric/carpeting all the time.

To each their own I guess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Emery Cat Scratcher is a great product and I would recommend it to everyone, the problem is where do you get refills. Everywhere I have check they are no longer available. I have tried Pet smart, Petco, Amazon   and as seen on TV, does anyone know where to get refills.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought an EmeryCat Board a long time ago from the local Petsmart. Neither of the cats has ever used it for scratching.

But one of the cats sits on it occasionally. And he loved the toy that came with it (a stick with some fur and a bell). He would pull it out and drag it around the house.

chemtiger

Korat (brothers are like human brothers!
Kitten
Purraise
The Emery Cat Scratcher is a great product and I would recommend it to everyone, the problem is where do you get refills. Everywhere I have check they are no longer available. I have tried Pet smart, Petco, Amazon   and as seen on TV, does anyone know where to get refills.
I have gotten refills for around $10 at PetSmart but I haven't gotten any for a year or so. My cats love to scratch it, but it doesn't do anything as far as blunting their claws. It removes the sheaths pretty nicely, but this tends to actually sharpen them. In my case, it does act as a deterrent to scratching other places, along with a cat tree, a couple of sisal-and-carpet wrapped boards that I screw onto doors, and scratching posts. When I first got my Emery Cat, I infused it with my own catnip and they were quite enamored with it.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon sells a refil by Pet stages called cat scratcher and these fit the original cat emery board as well. My cat loves them. $12.99 each.

Last edited: