Has anyone tried the Emery Cat scratching board?

kellyevans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just wanted to say that we got one for our two cats.
one completely ignores it, but the other adores it.
i just noticed her nails, and they are actually quite filed down!!!
no more sharp pointies.

didn't have any ordering problems. just got ours at Bed Bath and Beyond.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ended up throwing ours out..none of the cats really seemed to like using it.

I did find some cardboard scratchers that everyone likes.. they mount on the wall, and that works for us. I will just break out the nail clippers and trim nails when needed.

rebeccasteward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried emery cat. It doesn't work well for kittens or those cats which are not fond of scratching their nails. Analyzing the way device work in emery cat video, it works 30% of how it is portrayed in a commercial. The board doesn't seem to be that durable as it seems in the commercial.

scamhater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just went through the EXACT same scenario, expecting an invoice for $35.85 and getting a final email confirmation for $86.70. I immediately tried phoning the company, but ended up in an endless voicemail loop. After reading some of the other experiences, I don't understand why or how these people can still be in business. I think the best approach is to dispute the charge the credit card company. I'm sure they have dealt with these scammers before! Please be careful before thinking about ordering this product!!!!

xangela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neither of my cats care for it. I don't think either have even tried it. Von Muffin prefers to pick at the rugs and Sully'd rather knead my arm or matress.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked one up from BJs for $17.....waste of money IMO. Out of my five cats not one touched it.....well the kitten may have used it for a day but I think that was just curiousity.

animallvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What an awesome way to spend money. I get a 3 month old kitten, buy the Emery Cat, use the catnip on the catnip infused board, install the toy that comes with it an Voila!!! My cat has almost totally devoured the toy, she loves it!!! Has she once used the scratch board? NO!!! The only intelligent part about me buying this crap is that I waited till it was in the store.

shilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought the EmeryCat board at PetCo. After I set it up my cat broke the toy twice leaving a sharp pointed piece sticking up. A cat can easley get hurt.

heathen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate these things. They're awful. They don't work, cats hate them, it sucks. :p I and a friend had a discussion about this product and we agreed...it is one of the crappiest cat-scratchers out there. Buyer beware.

saribeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Frosti64 - you said that you had scratchers your cats liked. Do you know which ones they are? I know that my male cat loves those plain carboard scratchers but they leave pieces of cardboard everywhere. Right after I clean them up, he scratches again. I can't get my female cat to use it at all. These two are from the same litter and grew up together so I know Sweet Pea won't use just because Jack is.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for cat scratchers?

And is it really ok to walk a cat on a leash outside? I've never tried it, but I am curious.

Saribeth

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
great thread! I've been looking at these boards for a while.. I hesitated because of the sand grains.. and glad I trusted my guts not to buy it!

thanks for this!

gobblefox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought the Emery Cat Board at Big Lots for only $9. 

My cats find it to be entertaining, and, like any and all objects, enjoy sinking their claws into it.

annie_belle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bought one from Walmart for our Siamese...several years ago.  She scratched one or two times, but continued using her cardboard incline cat scratcher or the cardboard scratching pad in the middle of her favorite toy...the Turbo Scratcher!  Though Britches was an adult when she wandered into our life, not too interested in the "toy" part of the Turbo Scratcher, we have had other cats who went nuts for the ball toy as well as the scratcher.

As regards the Emery Board...I've also read that the nature of the board can cause cats claws to get stuck and rip out.  No way will I ever advise in favor of this product.

Until next time...Annie

teejay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one that was given to me from a cat owner who had her cat pass away. The board is good for my cat, but does not do anything to file the nails. It only eliminates my cat from scratching the furniture.

I wanted to order a refill, but went through a hassle with their devious ordering methods. They don't tell you what the actual shipping and handling costs are until your oder is placed. I had to cancel and re-order when they tried to give me their additional refills at a shipping and handling cost higher than the refill price. Big rip-off when ordering. Their customer service is a out sourced firm that could care less about the customer. You have to be very careful when you place your order to avoid the hiden free ones that are charge in the handling and shipping. In fact I just cancelled an order for another board and they were going to charge $15.90 on top of the $19.95. What a rip off for a 4-6 week delivery.

teejay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried Target and Walmart, buth they are not in stock. Wonder why. These clowns rip off people all the time with their devious ordering methods and astonomical shipping and handling charges.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
forget the ones with sandpaper sprayed on :)

Trim their nails, and give them regular cardboard scratchers

My cats love these:

And if your cats prefer the cardboard a little stiffer, go with this one, but it is very small.

I tear off the slick decorated paper glued to the sides, because one of my cats is an edge scratcher.

billi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine is semi old – the one hump style.  I see some, when laid on its side looks almost like an S or almost a two hump style.)

Most of my cats use it most of the time – they still also use the furniture and the other company’s rectangle box type most of the time.

Now that I am writing this I’m thinking that maybe I should add cat nip more often and maybe they will use my furniture less?

It does NOT trim their nails – THAT IS A LIE.   I still have to trim my cats nails – those who will let me. – not all will let me.

As it gets older, the cardboard comes off and makes a little mess around its base, on my rug; however, my vacuum easily picks it up.

We originally purchased the cardboard and its plastic try it fits in at Fry’s Electronics which is located far from our home.

A few years ago we had to replace the cardboard insert.  PetSmart and PetCo did not sell the replacement cardboard.  We found replacement at our local Target.

Now, it needs to be replaced again – PetCo and Target does not sell it; we have not checked at PetSmart or Fry’s, although I see it on the internet.

Hope this helps.