Harriet, where are your kittens?!!

MamaJen77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my cat Harriet. It’s a long story but the bottom line is she got out while in heat a week before her spay appointment (all my husbands fault). She very obviously went into heat on Jan. 7th. Her rolling and crying lasted roughly 3 days. She had access to the outside that entire time. After that she never showed any signs of going into heat again /and by the end of February she was looking obviously pregnant: I’ve been able to feel babes moving since early March and see them moving since March 10. Her nipples have developed and feel huge like udders. Not sure if milk could be expressed bc she wants no part of that. She has groomed her vulva a bit, though not removed much hair on her belly (she’s long haired) and definitely picked a few nesting spots, but is still eating nonstop and showing no signs of imminent labor. She seems perfectly happy and healthy. We are now 76 days past when her heat started. Any idea what’s going on? Why is it taking so long? I know some wild cats can exhibit delayed implantation if their body seems the timing for pregnancy not right, can domestic cats do that? I just don’t get it. Where are those kittens?!

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Does she have regular outdoor access or was it just during those three days while she was in heat? Even if she mated around Jan 7th she might not have got pregnant then. If she was allowed to go outside after that she could have mated later on without you knowing. Cat heats can last for up to three weeks.

Do you know which cat or cats fathered her kittens? Feral tom cats often have FIV or FeLV, so it would be a good idea to get some blood tests done.

She doesn't look that huge in the pictures you posted. I think she has a bit longer to go yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MamaJen77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had access to the outside after those 3 days but she just stayed around our porch while we sat out there. She only went out of the yard that we know of those first 3 days. I don’t know who she mated with but the house two doors down has an intact outdoor male that is healthy and negative for those so I’m hoping he was the lucky guy. I plan on taking the kittens to the vet after they’re born to be fully checked out, I’m just trying to save on pre birth vet bills since she seems to be doing great. And my vet is 100% the type that would want to do ulta sounds and X-rays and anything else just to due date her. Great vet, but heavy handed on the upsells.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hopefully he's the lucky father-to-be then.

:crossfingers:

It can only take a minute for cats to mate. I think that if she was in heat she would have mated several times over the heat period, so she's probably not as over due as you think. As long as she's comfortable, eating well and not in any distress you just have to wait and let nature take it's course.

New born kittens don't need to see the vet unless there is obviously something wrong with them. If you have Harriet blood tested and she's healthy the kittens will be too. It does help with re-homing if you've had snap tests done, but these can be done at the same time as the first round of vaccines. Keep all the receipts and certificates you get from the vet and pass these on to the new homes the kittens go to. We always suggest asking for a rehoming fee to make sure you only get serious applicants for kittens, so you can cover your vet costs in that fee.

Harriet will come into heat again soon after giving birth, so make sure you keep her indoors until she's spayed. This can be done when the kittens are weaned, usually around 6 to 8 weeks. She's still lactate after spaying, but of course it will be better if the kittens don't nurse on her too much after she's just been spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MamaJen77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no kittens but for the last 24 hours she keeps pooping on herself. It’s not runny, but soft, and matting in the long fur on her backside. She seems unable or uninterested in grooming it (I don’t blame her) so I’ve just given her rear end bath number 3. This time I trimmed the fur up back there as much as was possible while she was squirming and biting. Could she just not be able to “squat” right because of her belly? Or maybe this is a hormonal thing and the time is near?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Still no kittens but for the last 24 hours she keeps pooping on herself. It’s not runny, but soft, and matting in the long fur on her backside. She seems unable or uninterested in grooming it (I don’t blame her) so I’ve just given her rear end bath number 3. This time I trimmed the fur up back there as much as was possible while she was squirming and biting. Could she just not be able to “squat” right because of her belly? Or maybe this is a hormonal thing and the time is near?
Its common they are emptying their bowels shortly before delivery. Wise from Mother Nature.