Handicapped parking

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's being sensitive to be ticked off about non-handicapped in these spots either. I've been handicapped and when you really need the spot some idiot is parked in it. Right now I take the first space I find now matter how far away it is. Usually I am in severe pain by the time I leave a store, but I figure if I can walk around the darned store I can darn well walk to and from a parking spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all comes down to people respecting others, and the law, no matter what. People who lack respect for others really get on my nerves.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got yelled at for taking my Grandma (who has a legitimate handicap sticker) shopping. Some old man saw the sticker, us in the parking spot, and me get out of the car (driver's seat) first. He said "You don't look very handicap to me!" My Grandma was then getting out and said "Well, I am! Not that it's any of your business!" That shut him up.

berylayn is right....things aren't always what they seem.

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think its about whether a person "looks" handicapped or not, I will never judge the actual person getting out of the vehicles in those spots, its the cars with NO sticker, nothing in the window, ect.
Here if you have been deemed handicapped by a doctor, you get these things no matter what, so my only thing is if you don't have them, you are not handicapped.
Remember I am only going by what is done in my city~

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RarePuss

people are too sensitive these days. The guy was in the car, if a handicapped person drives by, i'm sure he'd pull out of the spot.
...Just wanted to say, that sometimes people CAN look very handicapped and STILL, not ONE person will ask if they need help. We had a tire blow-out on the interstate and my DH was sitting outside our van in full view, waiting on AAA to come to our assistance, for quite awhile. Not ONE person pulled over to ask if he needed help OR did anyone call the State Highway Patrol, for the time we were sitting there. Nobody knew we were waiting for help and (the worst part is) NOBODY cared....

I know the poster's post above is regarding parking in parking lots, but if people will not stop, or even call for help, when a person is sitting in a wheelchair at the side of the road, would they even THINK to move their cars for a handicap person, if that person needed the spot? --AND, why SHOULD a handicap person HAVE to sit and wait, while that other person puttzes around, getting themselves out of an illegal parking spot????

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In NJ there are Placards that are to be put on your dashboard, Handicapped License Plates and hanging Placards to hang on your rear-view mirrow.

I posess a hanging Placard. I had a cervical and spinal fusion so it's hard for anyone to look at me and see what my handicap is. When I get out of the car there are times my pain does not show and boy do I get looks from people. When my pain is not so bad, I park elsewhere.

My point is, you never know about that person parking there, because my Mom is also handicapped and if I drive her around and people see me get out of the driver's side they automatically think I should be the handicapped one, which is not true.

And IF someone were to ever question ME!!!!!.......I'd simply say: "Unless you're a cop, mind your own business!!!!!"

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccoccocats

In NJ there are Placards that are to be put on your dashboard, Handicapped License Plates and hanging Placards to hang on your rear-view mirrow.

I posess a hanging Placard. I had a cervical and spinal fusion so it's hard for anyone to look at me and see what my handicap is. When I get out of the car there are times my pain does not show and boy do I get looks from people. When my pain is not so bad, I park elsewhere.

My point is, you never know about that person parking there, because my Mom is also handicapped and if I drive her around and people see me get out of the driver's side they automatically think I should be the handicapped one, which is not true.

And IF someone were to ever question ME!!!!!.......I'd simply say: "Unless you're a cop, mind your own business!!!!!"
The problem is people who park hadnicap and DON'T have a rear view mirror tag or the correct plate. People have every right to question those people. And the private citizen can question those people and can turn them in.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly. Its wether or not theres the hanger off the rearview mirror. Not how the person looks. And if for some reason you feel that particular health problem shouldn't deserve handicap parking, write to your legislator, but leave the driver alone, provided he's got the sign.

I shall confess, though that whenever I see someone without a visible handicap yet having a handicap parking hanger off the mirror, my idle curiosity puts me in the thoughts along the lines of "Gosh, what handicap could he have? He looks so young and agile... poor guy."