hair balls

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, egg yolks are a great addition to any kitty diet. One a week is a wonderful, high protein nutrition-packed snack with healthy omegas. :) They're packed with choline, that apart from having the GI system benefit, may also help prevent dementia when kitty gets older. Choline supplementation has been shown in numerous human studies to reverse Alzheimers and Alzheimers-type dementia.

As to the regurgitation after a meal, are you feeding wet or dry food? If dry, then you need to slow the eating down by feeding on a plate, or putting a large rock in the dish so it's hard to gobble. If the regurgitation is after eating wet, it's most likely due to bile build-up. Just buy some freeze dried meat treats, and if running late, feed one or two small pieces. Let those absorb the stomach acid for 10 minutes or so, then feed the meal.

The regurgitation after a meal for either of those reasons isn't inherently dangerous per se, but it's not good for the esophagus to be subjected to stomach acid that frequently.

lovemesomeenzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the reply :) will start giving him the egg yolk now! he doesn't regurgitate he vomits. i googled the difference and according to what i found its a vomit. and it doesn't happen often i told the vet and he said there is nothing to worry about. i feed him wet food. the dry food isn't good for health in the county where i live. because of the weather conditions it disturbs the digestive system of the cats. i will surely try feeding small chunks first when he is too hungry! :)

p.s. don't mind my english, its my second language.

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you once again!

As English is my 'specialty' language and regurgitation applies to miss kitty so I shall now try egg yolk - i have already tried to feed her small amounts during the day if i am home all day.

i no longer feed her her fav food when i'm not going to be here to monitor and eke it out. so....today when I woke up late (Sat) I fed her her least fav food - it slows her down.

i feed wet in the morning, dry at night. i think the regurg is ONLY when she has been 'starving' a few hours when when i wake up later and then it doesn't matter whether it's dry or wet, it's regurg time if she wolfs it down.

YOU are the best. it's surprising there is so much to learn!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It turns out that indigestible solids (hair) are the last things to leave the stomach. It takes very powerful contractions to move it through. These are what we know has "hunger pangs." Kitties that free-feed on kibble often nibble frequently, meaning they never have hunger pangs, so there's nothing pushing the hair out of the stomach. For some kitties, just switching to timed feedings makes a big difference. (It resolved the hairball problem in one of mine). Here are tips on how to make that switch: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264675/transitioning-free-fed-kibble-kitties-to-timed-meals-and-new-food
I found this thread from last fall, as I am suddenly dealing with Ruby vomiting furballs.  

I've had Ruby 6 months and she's only vomited a furball 4 times, however, the last 2 have been in less than a week.  After reading the above,  I'm wondering if it is just a coincidence that the furballs are starting at the same time I've been home and able to give her a bit of food each at lunch time.  Normally she gets breakfast at 6 and a bit more before 8, then no more food till at least 6, a bit more a 7 and nothing else till morning.

I'm thinking maybe I should cut out her "lunch" and get back to her normal routine.     Or do you think it's just a coincidence?