Had to Rush Angel to the Vets

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all. This is what's been going on.  Yesterday when I got home Angel had peed in his litter box. I take him out on his leash when I get home from work. (for those who do not know the back story, he used to be indoor/outdoor on his own, loves to go out, so this is my compromise for him).  So when we went out, he tried to pee, but nothing came out. I figured sense he had already peed earlier in the day, he was okay.

This morning he hadn't peed yet, so was hoping to find that he had when I got home from work. He hadn't, so I called the vet,  They of course had me bring him right in. They were closing, but the Dr. stayed for me.  Knowing how serious this can be, I tried to keep it together, but cried the whole way to the vet.
    (never been through anything like this, he's my first, & my heart!)  They took him back, did an ultrasound, & X-Rays.  THANK GOD, there was no blockage, but they did see a few small crystals, & said his bladder wall was thicker than it should be. The vet just called to tell me, they put in a catheter to get a sample & there were no crystals in it, no blood, but did see some red & white blood cells in it. P.H. was good.  She suspects that it's  (sp?) Idiopathic Cystitis. Also known as Feline lower urinary tract disease. They will know more from the culture tomorrow. They said I can call in the morning for an update.   They are giving him pain meds, fluids etc..   If everything goes well, he will come home Friday.    Has anyone dealt with this before?    I would also greatly appreciate any prayers for him.

Thanks!

Kelly                                                                                                                     

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Angel. :rub: Mega vibes that he feels better soon.:vibes::vibes: My Pipsqueak has FIC - but he had blood in urine for a long time with no known cause. Since switching him to an all raw diet back in January - he has done much, much better. His pee clumps are normal size again, the frequency and urge to go have ceased. He also did not have any crystals/stones and the ultrasound showed a completely normal bladder wall. Stress is also a major factor in Pip's FIC as he is a very high strung kitty. I would definitely suggest keeping Angel on an all wet diet for now - the more moisture the better. If you want, you can pull up Pipsqueak's thread (although it is long :lol3:) or if you want me to copy it here for you, just let me know.

I am sure there are others here with kitties that have Feline Idiopathic Cystitis.... I just think the more water you can get into these kitties the better :nod: Vibes for Angel :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, many many :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for your Angel!

Our Tuxie was initially diagnosed with IC. I don't remember why the vet wanted to do a high resolution MRI when a regular MRI didn't turn anything up, but we did it. They found a very small crystal embedded in his bladder wall. He required surgery to have it removed, but that solved the problem. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that's what's going on with most cases of IC.

Spooky had a "bout" of IC. She was put on an antibiotic (I don't remember which one) that had anti-inflammatory properties.The flare-up subsided (she didn't require a hospital stay). We switched to all canned just shortly after that, and then raw, and no one's had any issues since (and three of the boys had problems with crystals, which is why they were on a prescription diet until the holistic vet gave me the speech. :lol3: ).

I think some people use amitriptyline for a little while, as apparently it also helps with bladder wall inflammation? Not sure on that one.

Aw the poor baby! :rub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys sooo much!!  Yes, pretty much all wet. Before the Grain, &/or by nature. (Turkey, or Beef, staying w/ the cooling & neutral foods).

He  Only nibbles on dry, Natures Variety Limtd Ings. Turkey during the day, & in the evening.

He has always been a good water drinker though.
 Someone said maybe bacteria from the dirt outside??  Yea, the Vet did mention she suspected diet, but the wet I feed him is 95 & 96% so

again
  I for sure don't want him on any prescription food! That stuff is crap!  I was so thankful to find a local Natural pet store, that carried raw. I had planned on getting him some of the Bravo complete turkey patties this week after I got paid. (now I have to go figure out bills & see what's left, I did apply for Care credit, but hope I can swing the payments!)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I forgot he still had some kibbles. I don't know if cutting those out entirely will help or not, since it's such a small portion of his diet.
...but it wouldn't hurt.
You might find this helpful: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth#Cystitis
Thanks Laurie, I will check it out tomorrow.   Not really hungry, but gonna try to eat something (almost 9:30 already), gotta take my b.p. meds( & have a headach now, prob. from crying & not eating)

The last 3 hours has caught up with me!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest to cut out all the kibbles. I have one female who will sometimes start squatting everywhere if she gets even a few kibbles :/. Must be something inflammatory :dk:. Hope Angel feels better soon!

dee feltman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Angel's Mommy, yes I had a snowshoe siamese who got a very bad uti but he did recover. I had to change his food to one made to help with this problem and he never had another. I will add Angel to my prayers tonight. I'm sure he will be just fine & you'll be so happy on Friday!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Your support means so much right now! That's why I love this site!!!!!!   Update:  I called the vet this morning, & he did not pee last night.

So they are going to do another ultrasound today, to check things out again. Not sure if anything is going to show any different than last night, but we'll see.

Of course, I didn't get much sleep last night, & have to be at work all day.

Thanks for the prayers, & vibes, Please keep them coming!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I forgot he still had some kibbles. I don't know if cutting those out entirely will help or not, since it's such a small portion of his diet.
...but it wouldn't hurt.
You might find this helpful: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth#Cystitis
Thanks Laurie, I just read through the article. I remember seeing, & reading it when I found that site.  (It's a good one!!)

I have been using the Feline Pine Original, but I guess I will be switching to the clumping, to monitor sizes better from now on.

Yea, being a Herpes kitty, the stress just adds to problems, & it seems a cycle.  I hate the thought of changing food AGAIN!  I feel like I finally got him settled on

something good, w/ the by nature, & Before the Grain being 95 & 96%. Not that he was eating bad before, on the Natural Balance, & always a good water drinker.

(& only giving him water from the PUR Filter.) 

* Unless this is from his first 5 -6 yrs. before he came to me, (pretty sure he was only on dry). 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet's this afternoon for an update, & he still hasn't peed on his own. 

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think some people use amitriptyline for a little while, as apparently it also helps with bladder wall inflammation? Not sure on that one.
Aw the poor baby! :rub:
YEP!!! I forgot to mention that Pipsqueak was on Elavil (amitriptyline) for about three months last year. It absolutely works to slow the bladder spasms and helps them retain their urine. It helped give his bladder a rest. It is used frequently for kitties with IC. :nod:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:doh3: I'm sorry, I forgot he still had some kibbles. I don't know if cutting those out entirely will help or not, since it's such a small portion of his diet.

...but it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks Laurie, I just read through the article. I remember seeing, & reading it when I found that site.  (It's a good one!!)
I have been using the Feline Pine Original, but I guess I will be switching to the clumping, to monitor sizes better from now on.
Yea, being a Herpes kitty, the stress just adds to problems, & it seems a cycle.  I hate the thought of changing food AGAIN!  I feel like I finally got him settled on
something good, w/ the by nature, & Before the Grain being 95 & 96%. Not that he was eating bad before, on the Natural Balance, & always a good water drinker.
(& only giving him water from the PUR Filter.) 
 * Unless this is from his first 5 -6 yrs. before he came to me, (pretty sure he was only on dry).  :dk:
I don't think the canned food is the problem. Those are good, low carb, grain free foods. :nod: You've gotten his itchies under control, and you've got a plan to begin incorporating, if not switching to raw down the road. I'd stick to that plan, and though he'll miss it, I'd see how things go without the dry food first. :nod:

But POOR BABY hadn't peed on his own as of four hours ago! :(

Come on Angel, pee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!