Had a stray walk in my door ...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lady Hitchiker has a point. Get some dirt- a bag of dirt - like top soil... and put that on top of the litter in the pan... then sprinkle some of the Cat Attract on top of that.

A cat that doesnt use a litter pan will be PTS whereever he goes - no kill or not because that makes him unadoptable. I don't know if a no-kill shelter will take him in or if it would have the foster resources to devote to turning around the problem.

Just ask White Cat Lover about this.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, before you decide this is strictly behavioral litter box issues you need to step back and absolutely make sure he has no health problems that could be causing this. Maybe his stools look normal, but maybe they don't feel normal coming out (think of it as you might feel when you've had too much spicy food). A cat will not understand what's going on and will more likely associate the litter box with the unpleasant feeling.

Experiment with some different litters and litter boxes. If you haven't tried it, go to walmart and pick up a big clear storage container - it can have tall sides or shorter ones, it doesn't matter. If tall, cut a hole in the side to make it easier for him to get in. Leave the top off. Some cats are very picky about boxes.
You could have a spare "dirt box" on the side. You just have to be careful where you get that dirt. If you dig it outside it could be contaminated with parasites (baking it is an option, but it smells terrible
). Store bought top-soil varies, sometimes it's heat treated but often it is not and there's the same risk.
You could also try a product called Eco-fiber (coconut fiber). You'd find it in the reptile section at a pet store. It needs to stay slightly moist or else it gets dusty, but it is sterile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

IMO, before you decide this is strictly behavioral litter box issues you need to step back and absolutely make sure he has no health problems that could be causing this. Maybe his stools look normal, but maybe they don't feel normal coming out (think of it as you might feel when you've had too much spicy food). A cat will not understand what's going on and will more likely associate the litter box with the unpleasant feeling.

Experiment with some different litters and litter boxes. If you haven't tried it, go to walmart and pick up a big clear storage container - it can have tall sides or shorter ones, it doesn't matter. If tall, cut a hole in the side to make it easier for him to get in. Leave the top off. Some cats are very picky about boxes.
You could have a spare "dirt box" on the side. You just have to be careful where you get that dirt. If you dig it outside it could be contaminated with parasites (baking it is an option, but it smells terrible
). Store bought top-soil varies, sometimes it's heat treated but often it is not and there's the same risk.
You could also try a product called Eco-fiber (coconut fiber). You'd find it in the reptile section at a pet store. It needs to stay slightly moist or else it gets dusty, but it is sterile.
I already took him to the vet, he got a clean bill of health this week.

I decided to play hardball, and I closed him out of the bathroom, and he doesn't want to go on the carpet (I smelt him sniffing it at lot, but no go). He finally went in the litter box and buried it!

I hope this behavior stays, but at least its progress.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in to see what's happened - I do keep thinking that no matter what's going on, you've been good to this boy in helping him find a forever home, whether or not it turns out to be you....although I'd love it if it were.