Had a stray walk in my door ...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor baby!!! Both you and Kitty! Sometimes it takes two or three rounds of dewormer to get rid of the nasty things!!

As for puke - if it is still fresh, I find Dawn dish soap, warm water and several clean rags work ok. Soap it up good, rinse well with the rags or a color-fast sponge and pat dry until the carpet is just damp.

My best solution for carpet puke however is a Bissell Little Green carpet machine. I am sure you don't want to buy one of these, though at $60-80 it is a good investment.

DON"T use Resolve carpet cleaner spray ... it doesn't work ... I know. I have a pukey cat.

Do you know anyone with a steam carpet cleaner? Or you can rent one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we went to the vet, and I found they gave me dewormer, and due to miscommunication, I never applied it thinking it was flea meds ... */cat owner fail*

So I applied the topical dewormer, but I'm not sure its working, it kinda dried on kitties fur after several hours, and I'm not sure how its supposed to get into the cat. I'll call the vet tomorrow to make sure I did it right, but I'm not sure.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming that you did part the fur and apply it to the skin, you did fine. Topicals like that are absorbed through the skin and are at their highest concentrations for up to 72 hours - that should be when it takes care of the worms.

What was it specifically that they gave you?

And maybe this is silly to ask... but why didn't you look up the treatment they gave you for specifics on how to dose, what it kills, etc. I would sort of figure looking stuff up and investigating how things work would be a bit of a habit for you.

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Assuming that you did part the fur and apply it to the skin, you did fine. Topicals like that are absorbed through the skin and are at their highest concentrations for up to 72 hours - that should be when it takes care of the worms.

What was it specifically that they gave you?

And maybe this is silly to ask... but why didn't you look up the treatment they gave you for specifics on how to dose, what it kills, etc. I would sort of figure looking stuff up and investigating how things work would be a bit of a habit for you.
I did, and the vet showed me how to apply it, although I'm not sure I did it correctly *sigh*. The vet also confirmed I had the right dewormer for the worms kitty coughed up. Only thing I can do now is wait, and in a few weeks, bring in another stool sample and see if the worms are dead.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll get in the habit of using that and flea treatments eventually.
I'm guessing roundworms, in which case you'll probably need to retreat in a few weeks.

Roundworms eggs are also very good at getting spread and hiding in the environment - you'll need to do a thorough scrubbing of the litter box (best to do that every couple of weeks anyways), fully change out all litter, wash any litter mats around the box(es), vacuum/mop.

Have fun cleaning.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read thru this whole thread.. It is sooo sweet how much this kitty loves you, and you're wonderful for taking him in..
What really warms my heart is the fact that you actually went to the shelter planning on surrendering him, but you couldn't bring yourself to do it.. Amazing how quickly and easily a cat in need can make you fall in love.

In January, I met a cat that followed me home. It was cold that night and she was super skinny and I didn't have the heart to leave her out there. I had every intention on finding her owners, (though I truly believe her owners abandoned her) or finding her another home. She was so sweet and affectionate, always head butting me, rubbing against me, purring, wanting to lay on me or right next to me. I fell in love, we named her Precious, and she is still here
. Precious and I have a strong, unbreakable bond, I can't imagine my life without her and I wouldn't give her up for the world now

It sure sounds like that's what you and No Name have going on there

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for no updates for awhile. I'm honestly convinced that he's upset, as he's started only partially using the litterbox, and using the corner instead. I have tried enezyme remover, and I now have two litter boxes, but I'm not sure the problem been solved.

He's been meowing at the door, so last night, I let him out for the first time since he came in, with the intention that he has the choice to come back if we wants, or resume his life as a stray if he wants. He came back a few hours later, so I guess he's at least happier being indoors than being a full time outdoor cat.

Today I tried to start leash training, but I went too far to fast, and ended .... well, it was bad. I currently have kitty in a harnass, and he's moving around and eating, so maybe the damage isn't irreversible and I haven't turned him off leash training forever.

I'm really at my wits end though, and I'm honestly considering putting him up for adoption at the shelter.

Sabra was shipped out ot my ex, and that also took a huge toll on me, so I really don't know what to do. Maybe I'm just not cut out for cat ownership.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been a lot of changes in his life in a fairly short time. He is probably still a little confused at all this new stuff in his life, even if it good stuff. I bet once you get in to some kind routine and he gets used to things the way they will be all the time, it will get better. I have followed this thread from the beginning, and have enjoyed your story very much. It is so cool that you took him in. It will be fun to hear how things go.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NCommander

Sorry for no updates for awhile. I'm honestly convinced that he's upset, as he's started only partially using the litterbox, and using the corner instead. I have tried enezyme remover, and I now have two litter boxes, but I'm not sure the problem been solved.

He's been meowing at the door, so last night, I let him out for the first time since he came in, with the intention that he has the choice to come back if we wants, or resume his life as a stray if he wants. He came back a few hours later, so I guess he's at least happier being indoors than being a full time outdoor cat.

Today I tried to start leash training, but I went too far to fast, and ended .... well, it was bad. I currently have kitty in a harnass, and he's moving around and eating, so maybe the damage isn't irreversible and I haven't turned him off leash training forever.

I'm really at my wits end though, and I'm honestly considering putting him up for adoption at the shelter.

Sabra was shipped out ot my ex, and that also took a huge toll on me, so I really don't know what to do. Maybe I'm just not cut out for cat ownership.
Hey - you just need to be patient. If he is not going in his box, the first thing I would do - sorry to say this - is take him BACK to the vet to be checked for a urinary infection. It can be brought on by stress.

Keep in mind he was on his own struggling to survive for a very long time and that takes a toll on the body and the psyche of any creature. If the harness is still on and he's doing normal kitty things, that is good. He can get used to it on his body and it won't feel strange. Now getting it OFF of him may be an issue- don't know!

I think there is advice on here somewhere about leash training and how you get a cat used to it. VERY VERY slowly and patiently.

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Hey - you just need to be patient. If he is not going in his box, the first thing I would do - sorry to say this - is take him BACK to the vet to be checked for a urinary infection. It can be brought on by stress.

Keep in mind he was on his own struggling to survive for a very long time and that takes a toll on the body and the psyche of any creature. If the harness is still on and he's doing normal kitty things, that is good. He can get used to it on his body and it won't feel strange. Now getting it OFF of him may be an issue- don't know!

I think there is advice on here somewhere about leash training and how you get a cat used to it. VERY VERY slowly and patiently.
Urine is going in the box, its only feces that is being put to the side, and then, only some of it (I found some well buried in the box I cleaned out). If its a UTI, its a very strange one.

EDIT: He wants to go outside badly. His tail is thrashing badly, and he keeps looking out the window. I feel wrong keeping him inside all the time, but if I take him to NYC, then going out (expect on a leash) will be impossible. I'm honestly considering re-homing him at this point ...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it look like it could be pieces of poo stuck to his butt that are dropping off after he gets out of the litter box? They'll be small and just randomly dropped or scraped off on the floor.

If that's the case there's usually two things that cause it: kitty's food has him a little constipated or he's managed to eat some hair (usually human hair) and that's making it not drop in the box.
There's a fix for the former, but not the latter...

As for him wanting to go outside, you just need to be firm and ignore it. My cats want lots of things I don't let them have or do (for their own safety), they get over it.

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Does it look like it could be pieces of poo stuck to his butt that are dropping off after he gets out of the litter box? They'll be small and just randomly dropped or scraped off on the floor.

If that's the case there's usually two things that cause it: kitty's food has him a little constipated or he's managed to eat some hair (usually human hair) and that's making it not drop in the box.
There's a fix for the former, but not the latter...

As for him wanting to go outside, you just need to be firm and ignore it. My cats want lots of things I don't let them have or do (for their own safety), they get over it.
Unfortunately, no, I watched him do it :-/. He croched in the pooping position and let it go right on the floor but he's using his litter boxes now. Not sure what specifically solved the problem, but I'm happy.

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*sigh*, I thought I had the problem solved, but after I came back after 28 hours of being gone (emergency trip), I found little piles littering the bathroom, and only urine in the litter boxes.

I'm honestly not sure what to do at this point beside call the vet.

(in other news, he looks very clean, I think he groomed himself fully while I was gone).

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*sigh*, I thought I had the problem solved, but after I came back after 28 hours of being gone (emergency trip), I found little piles littering the bathroom, and only urine in the litter boxes.

(in other news, he looks very clean, I think he groomed himself fully while I was gone).
Ah, geez. try putting the poop piles IN the litter box and maybe he will "get the idea." There is also a condition with a name where cats poop inappropriately... let me see if I can find it with some info.

ETA: he also may be pooping from stress ( you being gone) or from illness. I would definitely get him checked over. Meantime, there are other things you can try re: inappropriate elimination. Do a google search and see if there are things listed in many articles online that you haven't tried. Get a Feliway diffuser for that bathroom, too.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many boxes do you have - my boy insists on having at least two boxes - one for pee, and one for poo. They're not huge boxes, though. I tried just great big boxes but he likes lot of separate boxes. How does the poo look? the other thing my boy has done is when he's not feeling great, he'll poo outside the box.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

How many boxes do you have - my boy insists on having at least two boxes - one for pee, and one for poo. They're not huge boxes, though. I tried just great big boxes but he likes lot of separate boxes. How does the poo look? the other thing my boy has done is when he's not feeling great, he'll poo outside the box.
I agree. Get him checked. It may not even be GI problems, but something else. Poor guy has been through so much....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to try Cat Attract Litter. When you leave town, have a third box. Some cats are really picky about using a clean litter box. Cats that have lived outside are not used to pooping and peeing in the same place.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

First of all, Bravo and Thank You for taking this little guy in and caring for him. I had a little guy come into my house to eat when the weather was still cold a while back. I have been taking care of and taking in ferals and strays for about 12 years now so needless to say Mr. Deeds, (his name came from what my mate was watching on tv when he came limping up the walk needing help), has been with us ever since.

Has your little guy had his second worming yet? For rou8nd worms and hookworms they need a second deworming 3 weeks after the first to get those that hatched after the first ones were killed. You might want to also check with the vet to make sure what they gave you also covers tapeworms. All it takes is for a cat or dog to swallow one flea to introduce tapeworms into their system.

As far as stomach upsets and things that will cause diarrhea, any sudden change in food can sometimes with some cats cause upsets to either extreme. (Diarrhea, constipation & or vomiting.)

I also have had wonderful luck in leash training several cats. For some time when new ferals or strays came up, as well as the two kittens I brought home from the Pound, I would take them in for spay/neuter, shots, etc. and then I wouldn't let them out of the house without acollar, harness and leash for at least two weeks.

They can certainly go throu8gh some funny machinations trying to slip their collars when first put one. (more than one of them kept walking backwards trying to slip out of the restraint. Pretty much all would not walk with the harness and leash at first, so I would just take them to the yard with the offensive garb on and let them learn that it wasn't a kitty eating monster. Generally after a few days they would wander around like they had used a leash all their lives.

The real big difference between walking a dog and a cat is.... until you've invested a lot of time getting comfortable with each other, the cat pretty much walks you. They like to wander and be curious about everything and I always just found myself wandering behind.

I was not a "cat person" before my first stray moved in with me back in 1996 when I lived in an apartment in town. Now I am "one of those cat ladies".

I've had the same thoughts of how can people abuse and treat as disposable the poor cats and dogs that we come across suffering out there. One thing I know today is I am part of the solution in doing my best to help the ones others just don't seem to see; and I am not quiet to others about the feral and strays plight because of the people that don't spay/neuter their pets.

You seem to be doing all the "next right things". Allow yourself some kick back and relax time and don't second guess yourself too much on whether you are doing right by the cats and all parties involved. You're doing just fine.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I have read here and known a couple people whose cats travel with them and it works very well. Your new little guy may be one of those. Ya just never know how those little angels will surprise us.

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

First of all, Bravo and Thank You for taking this little guy in and caring for him. I had a little guy come into my house to eat when the weather was still cold a while back. I have been taking care of and taking in ferals and strays for about 12 years now so needless to say Mr. Deeds, (his name came from what my mate was watching on tv when he came limping up the walk needing help), has been with us ever since.

Has your little guy had his second worming yet? For rou8nd worms and hookworms they need a second deworming 3 weeks after the first to get those that hatched after the first ones were killed. You might want to also check with the vet to make sure what they gave you also covers tapeworms. All it takes is for a cat or dog to swallow one flea to introduce tapeworms into their system.

As far as stomach upsets and things that will cause diarrhea, any sudden change in food can sometimes with some cats cause upsets to either extreme. (Diarrhea, constipation & or vomiting.)

I also have had wonderful luck in leash training several cats. For some time when new ferals or strays came up, as well as the two kittens I brought home from the Pound, I would take them in for spay/neuter, shots, etc. and then I wouldn't let them out of the house without acollar, harness and leash for at least two weeks.

They can certainly go throu8gh some funny machinations trying to slip their collars when first put one. (more than one of them kept walking backwards trying to slip out of the restraint. Pretty much all would not walk with the harness and leash at first, so I would just take them to the yard with the offensive garb on and let them learn that it wasn't a kitty eating monster. Generally after a few days they would wander around like they had used a leash all their lives.

The real big difference between walking a dog and a cat is.... until you've invested a lot of time getting comfortable with each other, the cat pretty much walks you. They like to wander and be curious about everything and I always just found myself wandering behind.

I was not a "cat person" before my first stray moved in with me back in 1996 when I lived in an apartment in town. Now I am "one of those cat ladies".

I've had the same thoughts of how can people abuse and treat as disposable the poor cats and dogs that we come across suffering out there. One thing I know today is I am part of the solution in doing my best to help the ones others just don't seem to see; and I am not quiet to others about the feral and strays plight because of the people that don't spay/neuter their pets.

You seem to be doing all the "next right things". Allow yourself some kick back and relax time and don't second guess yourself too much on whether you are doing right by the cats and all parties involved. You're doing just fine.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I have read here and known a couple people whose cats travel with them and it works very well. Your new little guy may be one of those. Ya just never know how those little angels will surprise us.
Having done a few short car trips, he's not one to travel well in the car unfortunately. If I let him loose, I suspect he'd do better, but he doesn't like being in a box.

Unfortunately, the liter box issue is what's going to make or break this cat; my mom won't tolerate me having a cat that has litter box issues, and I leave this weekend for NYC, so if its not solved by then, I'm screwed (and kitty goes to a no-kill shelter).

I've isolated Little Man from where he was pooping, and so far, no litter box usage, but no little turds found (yet). I also found though that if he can't find a desirable spot, he'll simply hold it in (the vet wanted a urine sample, so I set a collection kit up in a single box, and removed the other ones; kitty ended up holding it in for 14 hours :-/).

I suspect that desperation will sooner or later drive him to relieve himself somewhere, but he's actively avoiding using the litter box at all, and seems like he's trying to hold it in instead of use it. As the saying goes, something will have to give sooner or later, but this may end very badly for both of us.

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may sound crazy, but is there any way you could get some purified outside dirt or shavings of some kind to use for litter? Since he's been going outside, maybe if you make it as outside-like as possible he'll go in the box?