*grouch Face* More Poop Problems

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'K, so Queen Bee is not a baby anymore. We'e cut back on bone in her diet in the past year or so due to her age and stuff.
But tonight she's squatting like she's trying to poop but nothing happens.
Her allergies have led to anal gland problems, and they expressed on me earlier (ho boy, did they ever. There's a smell you never forget...:help:). So we shot some miralax down her and did some other stuff to combat this.
Guess I'm just looking for other thoughts. This just started tonight after 2 boneless (raw) meals, if this doesn't stop being a problem tomorrow she will see a vet Monday morning.
She's never really done this before but has always had gland problems, filling up and then expressing at the worst times (during dinner, in my lap, etc.)
:please: Any other ideas to help things, uh..."move along"?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much and how often are you using the miralax? I have been using 1/8 of miralax mixed into boys food 2x/day. Poop problems are definitely frustrating!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd add....
I decided to take a lazy doze on the couch earlier and
How much and how often are you using the miralax? I have been using 1/8 of miralax mixed into boys food 2x/day. Poop problems are definitely frustrating!
Just started the miralax tonight, as this has never been a problem with Miss Bee.
I forgot to mention I did take a lazy Saturday afternoon doze on the couch (because I'm lazy and was sick of dog washing) and only after laying there for an hour or so did I realize there were a few small, hard turds on said couch. :running: Yeah, not the best part of owning a cat but now I suspect her. (Which is good, she did pass stuff earlier, but now we're a bit worried because she's straining!)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Double up on the Miralax. It won't hurt her. If it's too much, she will have diarrhea, which could be worse on its own.
Good thinking.
I gave her the recommended 1/2 tsp about an hour ago.
Safe to give more later on?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep a close eye. She may need an enema. I was able to give one at home with my vet's instruction. Mooch gets mirilax twice every day to combat her issues. Ne sure she is getting enough water or it won't do anything. I have also given her hairball paste that contained cod oil when she was in the middle of a backup. It seemed to help!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gross as it sounds, she was straining so I used a paper towel to kind of "stimulate" like a mother cat would, she let out a little "MEEP" and then left two very small globs of hard stool in the paper towel.
God, what we won't do for these cats.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep a close eye. She may need an enema. I was able to give one at home with my vet's instruction. Mooch gets mirilax twice every day to combat her issues. Ne sure she is getting enough water or it won't do anything. I have also given her hairball paste that contained cod oil when she was in the middle of a backup. It seemed to help!
I wonder if adding water with her meals wouldn't help?
She's never done this before. Just anal gland stuff, usually filling up then shooting them in my face. :lol:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it **should** be safe. If it becomes too runny you can dial it back a little. Maybe not fill up the entire 1/2 tsp. It seems that my boy will be on it forever. But at least it has no taste unlike lactulose.

Edit: We do add extra water for our constipated boy too.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her the Miralax with every meal until her poop is normal. The cod liver oil is a good idea, too. Poor kitty. I've been there myself.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it **should** be safe. If it becomes too runny you can dial it back a little. Maybe not fill up the entire 1/2 tsp. It seems that my boy will be on it forever. But at least it has no taste unlike lactulose.
We syringed it into her and go no resistance other than "I'm a cat and you're syringing crap into my mouth. I might kill you later" stuff.
She doesn't feel bloated or anything and palpation doesn't feel like her rectum is "stuffed" (been there with the IBD cat. You know it when they're "stuffed").
My poor little Queenie Bee. She can't rule the world in this condition. :frown:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I have "manually" helped Mooch out before because she was *visibly* backed up. It's always a good idea to keep some latex gloves around the house! Whether your chopping jalapenos or on doody duty....
Ummm can you please elaborate? Last time my boy was visibly backed up i had to take him to the emergency vet and i came out with an angry and stinky cat and a $600 bill.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We syringed it into her and go no resistance other than "I'm a cat and you're syringing crap into my mouth. I might kill you later" stuff.
She doesn't feel bloated or anything and palpation doesn't feel like her rectum is "stuffed" (been there with the IBD cat. You know it when they're "stuffed").
My poor little Queenie Bee. She can't rule the world in this condition. :frown:
Poor girl. You can always just mix it into her food with water! Its undetectable.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if adding water with her meals wouldn't help?
She's never done this before. Just anal gland stuff, usually filling up then shooting them in my face. :lol:
A nurse friend told me that if you don't have enough water with it; mirilax does absolutely nothing. I usually use those broth treat pouches with chunks of meat i it or baby food. I can get about 4 servings from each pouch or jar.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ummm can you please elaborate? Last time my boy was visibly backed up i had to take him to the emergency vet and i came out with an angry and stinky cat and a $600 bill.
Sometimes a q-tip with vaseline helps. (Also advice from my vet.) One time it was protruding so I kind of pulled gently and it helped her pass that bit. When Mooch gets backed up; it's not hard balls. I will put it this way; one time she passed something on the floor so large I thought my toddler had pooped on the floor. :cringe: I try really hard to watch her bathroom habits so I can anticipate things if she might need a little more or less.

Thankfully all our "emergency" visits were able to be done at our regular vet's office and didn't cost me my first born.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A nurse friend told me that if you don't have enough water with it; mirilax does absolutely nothing. I usually use those broth treat pouches with chunks of meat i it or baby food. I can get about 4 servings from each pouch or jar.
Good plan!
I have smelly cat food that I'll give tomorrow morning with tons of water and some miralax.
She doesn't seem to be in pain but definitely knows something isn't "Right."
I don't like it when the Queen Bee doesn't feel her best. :sniffle:
I might switch her to boneless meals from now on.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes a q-tip with vaseline helps. (Also advice from my vet.) One time it was protruding so I kind of pulled gently and it helped her pass that bit. When Mooch gets backed up; it's not hard balls. I will put it this way; one time she passed something on the floor so large I thought my toddler had pooped on the floor. :cringe: I try really hard to watch her bathroom habits so I can anticipate things if she might need a little more or less.

Thankfully all our "emergency" visits were able to be done at our regular vet's office and didn't cost me my first born.
I looked in our medicine cabinet.
No vaseline.
How do we not have vaseline???

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah it happened after hours so i had no choice. My boy was throwing up because he was backed up and going back and forth to the litterbox. It hasn't happened since i got him on miralax but he seems to only poo once every other day now and they are like a slender adult's size!! I guess i should buy latex gloves just in case. I have the petroleum already lol.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it happened after hours so i had no choice. My boy was throwing up because he was backed up and going back and forth to the litterbox. It hasn't happened since i got him on miralax but he seems to only poo once every other day now and they are like a slender adult's size!! I guess i should buy latex gloves just in case. I have the petroleum already lol.
IBD cat does this. Once every 2 days or so. :(
I gave her another shot of Miralax, about a half dose since it's been little time (a few hours) since her last dose.