Greatest British bands of all time?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Yeah, shocked that The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, The police....none of them were on the list
I actually only know Black Sabbath from the list...and I do like Black Sabbath but just not on the top...
Maybe they were from a diff time period lol

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

That's funny that you mention Oasis when they are well known for ripping off the Beatles.
Oh yes, the go-to criticism of the lazy music critic. If anyone that said this actually knew about British music history, they'd hear many more influences in Oasis' music. Plus, they don't "rip off" The Beatles; they're simply paying homage.

Originally Posted by scarlett&dan

there definatly is far too many great bands to name but in my lifetime, personally, i think the Libertines are amazing as is Morrisey and the Smiths. However, you cannot beat a bit of Beatles or Kinks.
I LOVE The Libertines. I considered putting them on my list. If only I could be a poetic and doe-eyed as Peter Doherty!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKitties

None of the above! Oh, and The Beatles are so overrated!

OASIS
followed by...
Joy Division
New Order
The Smiths
Stone Roses
Happy Mondays
Suede
Oh yes, the go-to criticism of the lazy music critic. If anyone that said this actually knew about British music history, they'd hear many more influences in Oasis' music. Plus, they don't "rip off" The Beatles; they're simply paying homage.
So you think the Beatles are overrated, but Oasis, in your opinion, a band that "pays homage" to the Beatles, is the greatest British band of all time?

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

So you think the Beatles are overrated, but Oasis, in your opinion, a band that "pays homage" to the Beatles, is the greatest British band of all time?
I do not mean to say that all Oasis does is pay homage to The Beatles. I'm saying that in the instances where people feel they are ripping off The Beatles, Oasis is actually just paying homage. That's straight from their mouths, mind you.
Noel Gallagher is a genius, while John Lennon was just a schoolboy wannabe.

(I look like I'm straight out of a clip of The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show when I see Oasis live. You know, when the girls are all going crazy, peeing their pants, pulling out their hair, fainting, etc. I tell myself, "Don't go Beatlemania. Don't go Beatlemania." I do. You can see me on an official Oasis DVD doing so.)

Also, Noel Gallagher loves cats. I don't have a cat named Noel though, because I'm saving that name for my child.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKitties

Noel Gallagher is a genius, while John Lennon was just a schoolboy wannabe.
How is he a wannabe? What was he trying to be? I do agree that the Beatles are somewhat overrated, and because of that, other great English music acts are overlooked, but they sure made music that defined an era, and certainly paved the way for other bands and musicians.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I suspect if you went by albums sold (on an adjusted basis for the differences in population/time), the top five would be:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
The Kinks
And for pure entertainment value, Herman's Hermits.

Oh, there are plenty more, and every generation thinks the bands they listen to are more relevant, more skilled, more popular, more whatever than the previously popular bands.

But no one in their right mind could deny the effect the first two of that list had on music around the world. Listening to music released before their appearance and after their appearance would tell the whole story.

Pink Floyd was a barrier-crashing act, with great aspirations to "significance." Some say that they, like Queen, were so concerned with that that they left good music behind.

The Kinks also eventually went for "significance." Some think that they have an answer for every problem. Others say they have a problem with every answer.

And Herman's Hermits were third in financial success after The Beatles and the The Stones. In fact, in 1965, they outsold the Beatles in the U.S! But they never took themselves too seriously.

Virtually every British band after 1965 owed heavy debts to four of those five. Pink Floyd didn't attain their full popularity until a little later than the others.
What about Fleetwood Mac? They sold 100 million albums.
In their blues days, they outsold the Beatles in Europe in 1969-1970.

An offshoot of The Yardbirds and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (FM was also an offshoot of the Bluesbreakers), Cream is another excellent English band. Jimi Hendrix Experience was half American, half English. The Hollies is another choice of mine, while they are not as mind-blowingly popular as, say, Pink Floyd, they were popular in the 1960s and Graham Nash went on to co-found Crosby, Stills, Nash (and sometimes) Young. Joy Division was one of the first post-punk (IMO) bands, and later spawned New Order (who sold the most popular 12" single, Blue Monday) after Ian Curtis's death. Radiohead, the Moody Blues, Procol Harum (for their song A Whiter Shade of Pale), The Who, and Yes all come to mind, as well.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't beleive no one thought of Whitesnake! David Coverdale is so yummy!
I did see Deep Purple though which he was in before he put together Whitesnake.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

How is he a wannabe? What was he trying to be? I do agree that the Beatles are somewhat overrated, and because of that, other great English music acts are overlooked, but they sure made music that defined an era, and certainly paved the way for other bands and musicians.
as a band, the Beatles might not have been excellent [i mean, 2 guitars, a bass & drums?] but the songs of Lennon/McCartney are simply timeless.
we were singing some this Christmas - Yesterday is lovely - beautiful melody/harmony, words - a classic.

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Well, in the early days all members of The Beatles wanted to be like certain American rock & roll and/or R&B stars, such as Buddy Holly. That's why they named their band The Beatles.

Look, I realize how important The Beatles are. Many of my favorite bands wouldn't be around if it weren't for them. You have to forgive me, I say a lot of things in jest, but my tone can't be seen/heard in this format. Plus, my Oasis fandom causes me to make typical Oasis-like, boastful remarks on their behalf.

Originally Posted by Moz

Joy Division was one of the first post-punk (IMO) bands, and later spawned New Order (who sold the most popular 12" single, Blue Monday) after Ian Curtis's death.
So you like Joy Division and New Order then? I put both in my list. Joy Division rivals Oasis in my heart. I have an all girls Joy Division cover band.

Originally Posted by fwan

teehee the spice girls were my all time fave as a kid!
In all honesty, The Spice Girls were a perfect pop group! I bet nobody else has as many Spice Girls dolls and other merchandise as I still do. I love them and have always loved them, even when it was no longer "cool" to do so.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Musically I'm not a fan of The Beatles, but they do have a lofty place in the annals of rock for their influence on music.

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Duran Duran
I had a dream that Simon Le Bon married me. I think I'm the age of his oldest daughter. Oh well, what's new!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorites tend to lean more towards metal - Deep Purple, Rainbow, UFO, Uriah Heep, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Venom, Witchfinder General (pretty much all the NWOBHM bands) as far as their influence on music. Most of the bands everyone else has listed so far can't be credited to creating whole sub genres of music, yet most metal bands get overlooked.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My favorites tend to lean more towards metal - Deep Purple, Rainbow, UFO, Uriah Heep, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Venom, Witchfinder General (pretty much all the NWOBHM bands) as far as their influence on music. Most of the bands everyone else has listed so far can't be credited to creating whole sub genres of music, yet most metal bands get overlooked.
I agree 100%. Without the NWOBHM to pave the way, the '80's wouldn't have rocked like it did. Those bands led the way for the emergence of the glam-metal scene, thrash (ie- Metallica, Pantera, Anthrax), progressive metal (ie- Queensryche), as well the other sub-genres of metal. I loved the '80's.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And though not as well know, Venom helped lead the way for both thrash and black metal.

But at the very least you'd think Deep Purple and UFO would get more credit.