Graphic Help & Resources

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Now that I have had a little coffee, I'll add more.

I normally use the magnetic lasso, then I think ti is "Layer by cut" and then drag it onto my background with the move tool. As far as the blurriness, are you using the highest quality pictures you have? That really does make a difference.

You may want to add a bevel or glow to the text as well to make it stand out a little more.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Now that I have had a little coffee, I'll add more.

I normally use the magnetic lasso, then I think ti is "Layer by cut" and then drag it onto my background with the move tool. As far as the blurriness, are you using the highest quality pictures you have? That really does make a difference.

You may want to add a bevel or glow to the text as well to make it stand out a little more.
I started to use the magnetic lasso.....but it seemed like it was going every where
....so then I used the regular lasso to cut out the picture.

I tried the layer by cut but once I pasted it onto my siggy layer can I resize the image?? or do I need to do all the resizing before I move it over??

Also with the text...I am learning how to play around with that...I only used the program for prob and hour or so, but tonight I will have more time to play with it.

But thank you for all your suggestions!! I know it's going to help.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have found with the magnetic lasso, if you cut down the number of pixels you are feathering, it works a bit better.

Once you get your image onto your background, if you click "show bounding box" above in the toolbar, you will be able to manipulate size and position.
I just figured that out recently myself.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I have found with the magnetic lasso, if you cut down the number of pixels you are feathering, it works a bit better.

Once you get your image onto your background, if you click "show bounding box" above in the toolbar, you will be able to manipulate size and position.
I just figured that out recently myself.
whew...am I glad that you have this program

I will try that "show bounding box"...that was soo frustrating last night when I was trying to resize it.....thanks again

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one last question (well probably not
)

Can you download "props" , fonts, backgrounds...etc for the Photoshop elements...if so what is a good website to do so...

Thanks

*******sorry I guess I was a person that didn't read the first post
Thanks abbysmom

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you look at the first few posts in this thread, there are some great suggestions there

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks the "save to web" tool and everything else you guys said...has helped me a lot...below is my temp signature, while I am developing a new one....thanks again for your help.

**I think the one below is 20k or so

kittyluver27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you guys know of a website that I can download a free trial version of photoshop on? I have been looking for websites but they never work. If anyone here is using a free trial version of photoshop please tell me which one you are using. Thank You.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am addicted now....can anyone make a sig from the siggy request?? Because I wouldn't mind giving it a try with other people's cats!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why yes Alaynna! The puropse of the siggy shower is to let people play around with their software, get siggys, and entertain themselves!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alaynna

I am addicted now....can anyone make a sig from the siggy request?? Because I wouldn't mind giving it a try with other people's cats!
That is a very cute siggy. I like the background. You can go to the siggy shower - requests page and get people's photos of their cats and have a ball!!

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks I will have some fun when I get home from work!!

Oh and thank you this is one of my first attempts on a siggy below!!

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a good website to get props for the signatures?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you guys able to edit text? I mean like paint a colour over text? With Photo Shop Elements? Does it come with all of these awesome backgrounds that I am seeing? If not were are you downloading them from?

I think you guys have me sold on buying Photo Shop-dang as many of use that have bought Photo Shop because of TCS, they should be our sponser and give us discounts, LOL!

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Are you guys able to edit text? I mean like paint a colour over text? With Photo Shop Elements? Does it come with all of these awesome backgrounds that I am seeing? If not were are you downloading them from?

I think you guys have me sold on buying Photo Shop-dang as many of use that have bought Photo Shop because of TCS, they should be our sponser and give us discounts, LOL!
I use Photoshop elements:

Yes you are able to edit text and download text/backgrounds.

The sig I have was made by the program.

If you look at the first page of this thread there are some links for the fonts and backgrounds.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

If you're talking about Fonts. Chances are, when you download a font, it will be in a zip file. If you don't have winzip, you need to download it, because that's the way to install your new fonts that you download. What I do, is create a folder on my D drive called "Fonts Downloaded", that way you will be able to find the fonts you download. Then I click on the fonts zip file, and Winzip will open up, and ask you what you want to do. Well what you want to do, is unzip the file, and then you want to install it in the C drive: Windows-Fonts. That's all there is to it. It's so simple, it could be hard, because it's so simple. Once you've installed your new fonts, you can use them in any program you have. I'm a font-aholic. The cool thing about fonts, is that not only do they have text fonts, but they have Dingbat fonts, and Dingbats, are graphic fonts. You can use those to create a lot of cool backgrounds and effects. In Photoshop, you can colourize the and/or paint the Dingbats, and make them into lovely pictures, and add ons to your backgrounds you create.
Hi Hope,
Thanks to this brilliant explanation I can now download and use fonts. If you have time could you please explain in the same easy to understand terms how to download brushes. All the instructions I have found are too complicated for a simple soul like me to understand

Anne

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try the brushes

Again, you will probably need winzip as often (depending on the source) they are compressed for easy downloading.
So unzip the file to a folder called 'my new brushes' or whatever you want to call it.

Now copy and paste the unzipped files to your brush folder in whatever program you use:

In Photoshop: (I assume PS Elements will be similar)
C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Photoshop CS\\Presets\\Brushes

To make life easy on myself when I found the brush file I right clicked and told it to save a shortcut to the desktop so I just move the files there.

In PSP it will be something like:
C:\\Program Files\\Jasc Software Inc\\Paint Shop Pro 9\\Brushes

If you find a brush (and I am not sure if this works in PSP) while working on a file and don't want to restart photoshop, just save the file to your 'my new brushes' folder and in photoshop

Click on the edit menu, then click preset manager make sure it says brushes in the preset type menu and click load and it will open the usual window for finding a file just click on it and it will add it to your brushes.

and I download most of mine from www.deviantart.com (look under photoshop/paintshop resources)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question on color. How do you change the color of a cat's eyes, for example? When I select the eye and try to adjust the color it looks really stupid. There must be something I'm missing!