Got my first Foster. Mom and 5 babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does it make sense to you that the vet at the rescue league told me to hold off with the KMR and just continue to watch for a couple days? And if it appears that baby isn't gaining or getting bigger, then they will supply me with a scale and formula? I don't understand if I made them aware of a potential problem why they wouldn't want to atleast check the kitty before deciding if they want to wait it out.

Baby did good through out the night. And is in the nest still just off to the side as usual. And Thank god milkshake did not end up being pregnant and is in fact already in heat again. Doesn't sem to be any "down time" with her. I thought I would have more time than 3-4 weeks since her last one ended? I still have the appt for the 30th and I am praying she is done by then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think this is why many fosters have their own scale, KMR, bottles, etc. so they can weigh kittens daily and make their own judgement calls about supplementing. With experience, you may find yourself doing this.

Have you seen the baby nursing mom?

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it ok if I still give baby the KMR even though the rescue said to hold off?I have only seen any of the babies nursing once today, I keep missing it. Every time I go up there they are all sleeping. After I get my 3 y/o some lunch I am headed up there for a little while as I will have more time to sit with them. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you think the kitten needs it, you should give it. It is frustrating not to know if the kitten is gaining weight or not. Can you get a scale?

If you see him nursing well, he may be doing fine. Your observation is important here since we don't know his weight.

Do you need feeding instructions?

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you think the kitten needs it, you should give it. It is frustrating not to know if the kitten is gaining weight or not. Can you get a scale?

If you see him nursing well, he may be doing fine. Your observation is important here since we don't know his weight.

Do you need feeding instructions?
Can i get a scale at a pet store or where would i get one that small?

and yes i would need instructions if I will have to do it. I am on the fence about needing to right now, but want to make sure i have everything and know how if i decide I need to at this point. Heading up there now to spend a few hours with them and I will have a better idea about how is going today

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Walmart has inexpensive kitchen scales that will weigh in grams. They also sell powdered PetAg KMR in the can. Syringes you ask for at the pharmacy window. Small ones - preferably 1-2 mLs. No needles.

Feeding is done using warm formula, tummy down, head up, like the kitten is feeding from mom. You go drop by drop in the side of the kitten's mouth, giving kitten time to swallow and breathe. Give 1-2 mLs to start every 2-3 hours if needed. If kitten is squirmy you can wrap it in a towel.

Let me know what you observe today.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please feed the kitten some KMR.  You are the one looking at the kitten and witnessing the actions of the mom.  The rescue people are not there.  You are going to be the one wondering if you should/could have done something different to help the kitten if something happens.  The rescue is used to losing kittens and some just figure it happens and move on.   These kittens are now like your children - if you don't speak up to get them the care they need, no one else is going to do it for you or them.  Fostering has it's rewards and one is knowing you have done the best for the animals in your care.  I have had to advocate care for each foster I've taken in.  It's not that the rescues are uncaring, but when you are new, they assume you are over reacting, the same way a pediatrician assumes all new parents are over reacting. 

You can use a kitchen scale to weigh the kittens.  Get one that measures in grams and ounces if possible.  Most will let you put a dish or bowl on and recalculate to zero (aka tare) so it will only show the weight of the kitten.

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just took video of what I am talking about. How do I upload it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to upload it to youtube first, then provide the link to it here. It's easy to set up a youtube account if you do not already have one.

Last edited:

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You'll need to upload it to youtube first, then provide the link to it here. It's easy to set up a youtube account if you fo not already have one.
I do have a youtube account. I took the video on my pone but no youtube on it so give me a couple min to download youtube to my phone so I can upload it then I will post the link. You guys might be able to tell me if baby is actually having issues like it looks to me or if I am just that inexperienced.

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This one is when I first put baby near momma. Mom pushed her off at the end which wasn't that long because my storage was full so i had to delete some things and start again

This is the one where baby looks like she is struggling

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the first video, the baby was knocked off by mama cleaning it. That was not rejection.

In the second video, the baby is trying to latch, but is having difficulty getting solid footing because the floor is slippery. They need to be on a blanket to nurse so the kittens can get a foothold and get securely latched.

Mama kitty looks very sweet. She is distracted and rolling around due to your daughter's proximity and activity. Mom and babies need peace and quiet for optimal nursing.

The kitten looks healthy and active - not lethargic. But again, it may still need more food. It's not uncommon to have a runt in a litter of 5. We will only know if it's eating enough based on weight gain. Mama does not appear to be rejecting the kitten though.

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the first video, the baby was knocked off by mama cleaning it. That was not rejection.

In the second video, the baby is trying to latch, but is having difficulty getting solid footing because the floor is slippery. They need to be on a blanket to nurse so the kittens can get a foothold and get securely latched.

Mama kitty looks very sweet. She is distracted and rolling around due to your daughter's proximity and activity. Mom and babies need peace and quiet for optimal nursing.

The kitten looks healthy and active - not lethargic. But again, it may still need more food. It's not uncommon to have a runt in a litter of 5. We will only know if it's eating enough based on weight gain. Mama does not appear to be rejecting the kitten though.
I am glad. Usually they are feeding on a blanket, but that is where mom was when that baby was trying to nurse off one of the other babies.

After I stopped that video I got Autumn away and mom got right up and went to the crate and left baby there. I was just uploading that video. Again in 2 parts because my storage was full.

Part 1, mom does come back but then goes to the crate and leaves the baby there and nurses another baby in crate.

part 2

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. Again, mom and kittens need to be in a bedroom alone together. They do not need to be all over your living area. They are too young and too small.

They need to stay in the nest for now. Do you have a plastic bin or a box? The kittens need to be in a nest where they cannot climb out and roam yet. Mom needs to feed them all together.

I thought you had put them in a room alone for now, and that you were going to sit with them in that room and observe their nursing - not in your living room.

I cannot stress enough that they need peace and quiet, with you popping in to check, and to be in a nest they cannot get out of for another week to ten days. This has got to be stressful for the mom cat, whether you realize it or not.

There will be plenty of time for the kittens to play in your living area when they get bigger.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did the kitten get to the room it was in?  Is it possible this kitten is wandering out of the crate on it's own?

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. Again, mom and kittens need to be in a bedroom alone together. They do not need to be all over your living area. They are too young and too small.

They need to stay in the nest for now. Do you have a plastic bin or a box? The kittens need to be in a nest where they cannot climb out and roam yet. Mom needs to feed them all together.

I thought you had put them in a room alone for now, and that you were going to sit with them in that room and observe their nursing - not in your living room.

I cannot stress enough that they need peace and quiet, with you poping in to check, and to be in a nest they cannot get out of for another week to ten days. This has got to be stressful for the mom cat, whether you realize it or not.

There will be pl nty of time for the kittens to play in your living area when they get bigger.
They ARE and have been in my bedroom. Those videos were taken in my bedroom. The only reason my daughter was in there is because I was in there checking on them. And the baby was out of the nest because i brought her over to mom when she was trying to nurse off one of the other babies. I wasn't playing with any of the babies. 

Sorry if I was more concerned than I should be but I am trying to do whats best for that baby and don't understand why the rescue told me not to supplement. Please get facts straight before you judge me. My bedroom has a sitting area and they have the whole room to themselves unless i am checking on them and we go to bed for the night.

milkshake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

How did the kitten get to the room it was in?  Is it possible this kitten is wandering out of the crate on it's own?
that is my bedroom and that is where they all are. Baby was trying to nurse from one of the other babies so I brought it over to where mom was laying. The nest is on the other side of the room. I figured it was easier to bring baby to mom instead of bring mom to baby.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK.  Mom was probably laying on that part of the floor because it is cooler than the rugs.  It gets warm in the nest with all those kittens.

I really think a scale and weighing the kittens is the best way to go.  It is possible this kitten is getting enough milk as well as possible another one isn't.  It's hard to tell just by looking. Other clues are is the kitten meowing - kittens meow when hungry.  They also stop meowing when they give up trying to nurse. 

The kitten did have the energy to climb on mom to nurse and the mom did roll over to give the kitten better access. Bringing the kitten to mom to get in some extra nursing time was a good idea, but maybe not on the bare floor or bring a mouse pad or something non-skid to but under it's paws to help with traction.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looked lke the living room. I am not judging, just recommending what is normally done for moms and kittens at this age that is accepted practice and in their best interests. I think if you re-read your thread, you'll hear others saying the same things to you. You are in a learning curve since this is your first time fostering.